Sponsored by:

Agreed Value

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 11:29 AM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Agreed Value

Insurance is a bit of a boring subject -- until something happens .... then not so boring. With the currently thread regarding 8k dealer offering for an 06 S w 110k.. Thought I would bring up the subject.

I had a house fire two years ago that took my 06 S w/60k and two others with it. Thankfully, everything was properly covered including my autos. When you have a total auto loss they pay you the tax ... with regular coverage it would have amounted to about 26k using Chubb's generous valuation method. With the agreed policy from new I was paid a bit over 44k for the car. The payout on the other two was about 12k and 15k over Chubb's book. So on the three cars I got an extra 45k.

I just settled the claim last month and I hope to start rebuilding shortly ... you can't believe the disruption and aggravation. Not having the extra on everything would have been a disaster. Just something to think about for those with a lot of "stuff' all at one location.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:45 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Interesting info. I'll have to check my policy. Basically better to have them in the garaged totaled than on the road if I understand correctly.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:38 AM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "Agreed Value" -- is just that ... You and the insurance company agree on the value of the car before a loss. Without AV coverage the value will be determined when the loss occurs. Finding out how a particular insurance company will determine the value is near impossible. It is normally not a good surprise. AV is not "stated value" ... you do not want a SV policy.

The location or cause does not matter -- my homeowners policy had nothing to do with paying for the cars. The same payout value would have occurred had the car been destroyed in a typical road accident ... and they don't use the higher AV number to deterring when to "total" the car .. use the actually cash value.

I have quite a few friends with low mile like new Porsche's worth much less then they think.

Quick Reply: Agreed Value