Sponsored by:

2015 Cayenne Diesel arrived

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 06:27 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 2015 Cayenne Diesel arrived

Apparently the boat from Germany was faster than expected and my 2015 Cayenne Diesel arrived in Houston on Wednesday, a couple weeks ahead of schedule. The dealer had it cleaned up and ready for delivery by Friday. This is way earlier than Porsche expected, evidenced by the fact that there are no owner's manuals ready yet. I'll have to swing by and pick that up in a few more weeks. I'm not even sure they were supposed to release the vehicle before November, but I'm sure my salesman was eager to get the sale in his October numbers so here we are...

You may recall my previous thread where I sorted out the options I wanted. Once again Rennlist proved to be an invaluable resource when it comes to spending money. Here's the final option list: http://admin.porschedealer.com/repor...AF2A27FLA31220

With less than 50 miles on the odometer it's hard to have too many opinons. I can definitely say that the changes for MY15 are relatively minor over the previous years. The air suspension is a dream on the horrible Houston roads around my house and office. A few things I've noticed so far:

Sadly, even though I declined the sport chrono, I've got the wart on the dashboard (in clock form). The online configurator made it look like I might escape without the thing. If I'd known I was going to get the wart no matter what, I'd have probably specced the Sport Chrono. I might have been tempted to get the "center upper dash" extended leather option too.

Seeing it in person, the rear-view mirror in leather (AVW) is "kinda nice." The completionist in me wants it, but if I'm honest it doesn't really add a lot:

The steering column casing in leather (ALL) is "really nice" and very noticeable especially from the passenger seat:

It took us forever to find the heated steering wheel button (sure would have appreciated an owner's manual to assist).

I wasn't sure what to expect with the door leather surrounds in leather (ALT) but it was definitely worth getting, especially with the non-black leather. It's subtle but very nice not having that plastic right next to you. It matches the rest of the leather on the door very nicely:

I'm really digging the LED headlamps, they look imposing and very cool:

I also bought an amethyst metallic key cover (thanks Suncoast!) for equiraptor so we can keep our two keys straight:
Old 10-25-2014, 06:55 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Very nice. I'm strongly considering the Espresso/Cognac leather for the dark blue metallic Cayman S I'll be ordering in the near future. We saw one on a DBM Cayenne (almost bought it) and it was beautiful!
Old 10-25-2014, 08:23 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

You can always order the center speaker grill without the "wart" from the early 958s and swap it out. Car won't care if the clock is unplugged.

Nice looking color combo.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:17 PM
flyfisher
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Very nice. Congrats!
Old 10-25-2014, 11:46 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 966 Likes on 429 Posts

Led lights look really cool, nice upgrade.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:19 AM
Robotpedlr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats. I hope mine shows up early also (currently mid dec). Do you mind sharing your discount percentage? My ehyrid discount was 6.2% ($102k MSRP).
Old 10-26-2014, 12:41 PM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats. My dealer has a '15 diesel on the lot. It's sold. Like the better styled rear lights and exhaust. Looks like this is my next diesel...I have a Touareg TDI Exec, which has been great.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:23 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

I've never had a Porsche with bluetooth support, so maybe I'm missing something. The bluetooth in the radio is more annoying than in my other cars. I'm used to where you can stop the car then come back late r and the song you'd been listening to will start right back up. With the Porsche PCM, it reverts back to radio when you first start up instead of just patiently waiting for the bluetooth handshaking to complete. It's jarring and you then have to manually choose bluetooth once it's ready.

Is there a fix for that? Since I don't have an owner's manual yet I can't look. It seems like a really stupid design if not.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:03 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Nope that is just one of the many stupid things about the PCM

I had an old iPhone permanently plugged in to act as an iPod until someone broke in and stole it. Someone on 6spd put me on to using the USB flash drive functionality so I grabbed an old stick, threw my songs on it, and have been happy to not have the frustration of the BT interface.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:28 PM
flyfisher
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

You can also transfer your music from a USB stick to the PCM hard drive, which on the PCM menu is the jukebox. I think the HDD is 40gb, that's around 10,000 4mb mp3's. Works for me.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:17 AM
wds928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great. Nicely optioned. Time for a full set of Weather Tech mats. Front, center and rear. I love mine.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:52 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gnat
Nope that is just one of the many stupid things about the PCM I had an old iPhone permanently plugged in to act as an iPod until someone broke in and stole it.
Yeah, on Sunday I sent a grumpy letter to Porsche and bought an iPod Touch for permanent install.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:44 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

As someone that had their car broken into and "iPod" stolen, take it back or use it for something else. Buy a cheap USB stick and use that instead.

Format it for FAT-32. Create directories for your "play lists", then drag the files in your playlist(s) in iTunes to the appropriate directory on the USB stick. That's it.

An added bonus is that with the USB stick you can select your playlist from the MFD where you can't do that with the iPod. The downside is that the MFD will always show songs in alphabetical order rather than the play order (e.g. shuffle).

I say this being someone that exclusively uses Macs and has had iPods and iPhones since the original iPod was released.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:18 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

The iPod isn't visible. If they break in and find it -- or break in and find nothing -- the damage is basically the same to me. I'll risk it. They're going to break in or not either way. I don't see how not having the iPod in the car reduces the risk of a break-in.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:19 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Unrelated, any aviation geeks in the house?

FWR42 Heavy, ready for push

Quick Reply: 2015 Cayenne Diesel arrived