Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid question can you detune a Cayenne Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 12:50 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My mind thinks in terms of 'comparisons'.

If your son was locked in a room with a 'naked and willing ' Kate Upton (even if she were 'detuned' with a bikini)......what would happen ?

Conversely......if he was locked in a room with 'naked and willing' Sandra Bernhard.....what would happen ?
Old 01-23-2015, 12:53 PM
drh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:17 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
Are you paying for the gas, insurance, and maintenance on the CTT while he drives it in college?
Gas and insurance will always be his responsibility. Premium gas is expensive and I am sure practicality will dictate a change in the near future.

As I said my reason for considering it is because he has extensive experience driving it and for the first year while he commutes solo to school I would prefer he is in something I am sure will not give him issues and other than the HP I consider to be a very safe car. He would be happy with an old Buick so long as it doesn't break down which I am sure it would.

This is a short term car while he is home and commuting to school we will discuss college when we hit that bridge. BTW other kids in his school drive Cayenne's as well. So far so good.

Originally Posted by Shannon123

If your son was locked in a room with a 'naked and willing ' Kate Upton (even if she were 'detuned' with a bikini)......what would happen ?

Conversely......if he was locked in a room with 'naked and willing' Sandra Bernhard.....what would happen ?
I guess that all depends on if the lights are on or off????

Seriously?? These comments are neither productive or rational. He is a young adult not a dog licking his *****. What does this have to due with my question?
Old 01-23-2015, 02:42 PM
phL
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

let him drive that thing.

best dad ever.

/thread
Old 01-23-2015, 04:13 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Seriously?? These comments are neither productive or rational. He is a young adult not a dog licking his *****. What does this have to due with my question?
You asked a loaded question that clearly would bring strong reaction due to personal experience or just perhaps more rational thoughts. THEN, you blast me ?

Sir, with all due respect....if your *&#^ don't stink, then don't ask. I do wish you and your son the best.

I happened to have a friend in high school who was the recipient of a beautiful and powerful mustang cobra....he was also the first person in my class to die. He was decapitated from excessive speeding and running his car under a stopped semi trailer.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:27 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That example doesn't apply here. His son has over 5,000 miles under his belt. He does really well with the ladies, but will have no desire to impress them with his car. He exhibits more driving skill at the age of 17 than some people with 20 years of driving under their belt, because how his son drives with his father is exactly how he'll always drive. He shows great restraint in that he doesn't want to drive the Raptor as he doesn't feel comfortable, but the CTT needs to be detuned......because he might not show restraint? He's going to have no problem paying the $200 a month insurance tab and putting gas in it. I mean, that just means working at least 20 hours a month at $10/hr just to pay the insurance bill.

Basically - none of us were ever 17 year old boys, so we can't relate to what his son is going through. And, did any of us really expect that providing constructive criticism on a father's choice to pass down a Porsche to his beloved teenage son would be honestly be taken seriously? Many of us know young people that would still be here had they been driving something less powerful. But, those situations don't really apply because other kids at his school drive cayennes.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:38 PM
brooklynkid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats funny!
Old 01-26-2015, 12:04 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,180 Posts

You asked a loaded question that clearly would bring strong reaction due to personal experience or just perhaps more rational thoughts. THEN, you blast me ?

Sir, with all due respect....if your *&#^ don't stink, then don't ask.

I happened to have a friend in high school who was the recipient of a beautiful and powerful mustang cobra....he was also the first person in my class to die. He was decapitated from excessive speeding and running his car under a stopped semi trailer.
Excuse me for being cranky but I just spent the last 20+ hours in the ER with my mother-in-law who has been suffering from a stroke and seizures.

Sorry to hear about your friend. I am sure many have lost friends due to improper discipline behind the wheel of a car. I know I have.

So if your so offended by my responses, I ask you to carefully rethink this as I close this thread and answer this question to yourself. Where is the loaded question?

My opening post:

I recently picked up a '14 Cayenne GTS. I preferred it to the '14 turbo for my needs and is a great ride. I would guess it is faster than my 04 TT but that might be the sport exhaust that gives the impression.

I have the 04 turbo we have owned since new and after being offered $10k for a trade in for a car in perfect condition with 80k miles I have decided to keep it.

Now the reason for the question. My son turns 17 next July and gets his license. He has been driving the CTT with me in the passenger seat and is a very responsible and excellent driver. Wish more people had his driving skills on the road. He mastered driving a clutch in an afternoon.

My thoughts were since the CTT is a known quantity and he loves it I would like to gift him the car for his B-day but handing over a 450 HP brick to a new driver concerns me. He still has a lot to learn and I won't be there to supervise.

I believe the CTT is a low boost high compression engine unlike the early turbo 911's which had ridiculously low compression and high boost. Does anyone know how compression of the turbo compares to the S? Could the boost be turned down or completely off and have a vehicle that is still safe and useable? Anyone do this or consider doing this?

I do not see anything wrong with what I asked or it warranting a bash session by vultures who get their jolly's from putting others down. I clearly state I think it would be irresponsible of me to hand him over the truck as is. CORRECT??? I asked if the car can be detuned? I asked if it was safe and useable in a detuned configuration? I asked if anyone did or considered doing this? I repeatedly state in my responses that I am still weighing the pros and cons of gifting him the car in a detuned state. I know his capabilities and I know he is a teenage boy so what did I miss?

So please enlighten me to the loaded question????????

I am sorry i don't agree with some of you that a Honda Civic is a safer less deadly choice for a new drier. To me that is like saying he is less likely to kill someone if I handed him a .22 vs a .44 magnum handgun. I have seen far too many new drivers die behind the wheel by over driving some POS civic or similar vehicle.

To top it all off I have stated I found an answer to my question and I not only found a way to limit WOT but I can limit top speed. Hmm??? So how does this equate to an inexperienced driver being unleashed in a Mustang Cobra which I have driven and would never consider safe for most drivers never mind novices and is nothing like an 04 CTT especially with the limits put in place?

This is not a bash session but just some being overly judgmental and not very good readers.

I appreciate the positive comments and sage advice by some I ask the others to consider reading and be sure you comprehend what you are reading before responding to similar threads.

Thread closed!! I have no doubt I will make the right choice.

Quick Reply: Stupid question can you detune a Cayenne Turbo?