Sponsored by:

Turbo for the interior?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 06:26 PM
F. Thumb
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Turbo for the interior?

So it's time to upgrade the wife's DD. She's had a Lexus RX300 for 10 years now, and wanted a RX350 when I suggested trying a Cayenne, just for fun. We first drove a 2006 S that was fun (I noticed more throttle lag than I expected), and then a 2009 S that was even more fun (no throttle lag). Then we go to test drive a nice 2010 RX350, and she gets behind the wheel, sits for a second, and before even putting the key in the ignition she says, "I can't do this. I'd be wasting everyone's time. I have to get a Cayenne."

That's my honey!

Now the issue becomes interior. She didn't care for either of the S interiors, and the salesman at the dealer where she drove the '09 CS said the turbos were generally better optioned on interiors. But then for our $25k (+/-$5k) we're either going to the top of our budget, and/or higher miles on a '04-'05 CTT.

So, was it just our early luck of the draw that the CS interiors were plain? Is it true that an earlier Turbo will be better appointed than a newer SC for the same money?
Old 01-21-2015, 06:52 PM
david_alford
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say understated...plain interiors are a hallmark of German cars ;-)

The doors, dash and console are what they are across all models, unless you find one with white or red gauge faces. For those MYs you could get standard leather or 'soft look' leather seats...Titanium and Transsyberia editions had 2-tone leather...and for the trim you have silver, wood or carbon fiber accents...thats about it.

Best of luck with your search! Take your time shopping for your 955 or 957: Buy the youngest well-serviced Cayenne you can find within your budget...you may spend thousands on service every year or even better DIY.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:01 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

The turbo interior comes standard with leather dash, center console, leather door panels and that beautiful alcantara headliner. What really sold me besides the turbo engine was that alcantara headliner, man is that thing so cool!
Old 01-21-2015, 07:03 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To me - any of the cayenne models with plastic dash and doors felt very cheap. My old Touareg felt like it had a more classy interior than the non-full leather cayennes. It seems like a small detail, but the all leather dash and doors makes a huge difference in the quality, feel, and smell. All leather interior was standard for the CTT, but an option on the S.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:04 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan87951
The turbo interior comes standard with leather dash, center console, leather door panels and that beautiful alcantara headliner. What really sold me besides the turbo engine was that alcantara headliner, man is that thing so cool!
Oh yeah, forgot about the headliner. It's the first thing people notice getting into my CTT.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:21 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Since the interior is where you live while driving, don't discount it. I just returned a 2015 Base loaner after 5 days and its interior felt like a Nissan compared to my '06 CTT's leather, alcantra and wood.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:23 PM
F. Thumb
Rennlist Member

Thanks! A few years ago at the AutoShow my wife sat in every SUV there, and at 5'0" she said the only two vehicles that she thought accommodated her size were the Lexus rx350 and the Cayenne. Of course the model she sat in at the show was a new turbo and I think she's remembering the leather everything and trim touches, so the plain black CS wasn't quite right, but the feel sealed the deal.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:51 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I went from a 2005 S to a 2009 Turbo S, and that was the first thing I noticed, the Alcantara, Leather everywhere felt like a whole new vehicle and a class level up from my S.

This is my interior.

My old intererior was similar to below.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:59 PM
F. Thumb
Rennlist Member

Sweet interior!

Quick Reply: Turbo for the interior?