Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 CTT transmission failure... Need rebuilder... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 03:37 PM
ejsaenz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation UPDATE -- 04 CTT transmission failure... Need rebuilder... HELP!

While driving down the freeway my transmission decided to not work anymore. The engine stayed on but when I hit the gas it didn't accelerate. I was going at least 70mph when it died. I was able to coast to a stop at an off-ramp but there was a funny smell about the truck. I restarted and my dash lit up the PRNDM indicators telling me there was a transmission failure. I shifted to neutral but it wouldn't even move under its own weight.

The tow truck driver was able to pull it up the ramp of his flatbed, but when we got it home, we had to oil the bed and have it slip off due to not being able to go into neutral or any other gear and set it in my driveway. After a few minutes, I started it back up and the dash lit up normally, but only drive barely worked and it felt like a heavy strain was on the transmission. No reverse and no neutral.

I took it to an indy shop and same oily bed procedure to drop. They inspected it by computer and it showed that it had overheated twice and that something inside broke according to the tech. I need a new transmission.

Can anyone recommend a rebuild shop in the Southern California area or anywhere reputable? I got quoted $11,000 for a new transmission. I did find 3 used units with a one year warranty, but would a rebuilt unit be better? Any help would be awesome.

I'm in the high desert in San Bernardino County. I tried search but nothing came up for me. I really need this truck back since the 944 is a bit hard to transport stuff I need to carry.

Thank you in advance.

--------UPDATE-------------

Well I got the Pepper Back. It runs well. still a bit nervous but that should go after a while. The total damage was close to $8K with other work done while it was there....

Here are the trouble fault codes:
715 – Input shaft speed (turbine speed) inductive pickup- Electrical fault, test conditions are not completed, fault is not currently active and causing a DTC light
729 – Gear “6” incorrect transmission- Mechanical fault, Electrical fault, test conditions are not completed, fault is not currently active and causing a DTC light
841 – Oil pressure switch 1 transmission – short circuit to ground, test conditions are not completed, fault is not currently active and causing a DTC light
453 – Function restricted due to excess temperature – no additional fault status available, , test conditions are not completed, fault is not currently active and is not causing a DTC light
641 – ATF temperature – upper limit value exceeded, , test conditions are not completed, fault is not currently active and causing a DTC light

I found a used transmission from a wrecker with 66K miles for $2875 or so at GotTransmissions.com shipped to the repair shop. Labor for the trans was $1900 with parts. The torque converter bolts were impssible to remove with the engine in the car so it was another $1000 to pull the engine. The housing had a crack on it and the trans pan drain plug was frozen so hard that the spot welded bung sheared off.. luckily my old trans had good parts to swap so more labor costs.

I had a bad engine torque mount that was bad and that was replaced.

Replaced drive belt.

The cooling pipes had a leak, they were aluminum but something had a crack in it so it was replaced.

Total parts and labor for shop minus the trans was $4852, trans $2900 total to just under $7800.

The trans has a one year warrantee with labor costs included. Hopefully I’m done for a while now..

I have the old transmission and will be taking it apart to see what screwed up inside. I did get some black melted piece of plastic looking thing that was in the pan when it came off...

Last edited by ejsaenz; 04-09-2015 at 04:46 PM. Reason: update
Old 02-23-2015, 07:21 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

car-parts.com. find one from a junk yard. that would be my first option before rebuilding or buying a rebuilt unit.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:10 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

Used unit or ship it out to Import performance transmission.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:24 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

There was a guy who posted last week in another thread that he rebuilds them all the time. Do a little digging and you might find him.

Sorry for your misfortune.

Best,
TomF
Old 02-24-2015, 08:00 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I would go for a low mileage used one. From the experience I have had as well as others I don't think there is a person who can rebuild a transmission correctly.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:16 AM
Corso
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 73 Posts

To OP, curious on how many miles were on your CTT when it decided it'd had enough?
Old 02-24-2015, 08:40 PM
ejsaenz
Pro

Originally Posted by Corso
To OP, curious on how many miles were on your CTT when it decided it'd had enough?
It had about 73,000 miles. I
I've had it maybe 7 or eight months now.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:43 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by ejsaenz
It had about 73,000 miles. I
I've had it maybe 7 or eight months now.
Wow, that is a surprising failure for the mileage.

Cheers,
TomF
Old 02-24-2015, 08:48 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Yea that is what I was thinking? Has the shop tried even to check the fluid level? Did they get more specific about what broke inside?
Old 04-09-2015, 04:45 PM
ejsaenz
Pro

Originally Posted by TomF
Wow, that is a surprising failure for the mileage.

Cheers,
TomF
I seem to have this kind of bad luck with ALL my Automatic cars be they new or used. Transmissions and I just don't get along... :/
Old 04-09-2015, 06:57 PM
Cuba
Instructor

Sorry to hear that. I had trans problems two years ago and it was the valvebody which we replaced along with a new TCU. Did you by chance ever have sudden violent shifts when accelerating that scared the crap out of you before this happened?
Old 04-24-2015, 04:41 PM
ejsaenz
Pro

Originally Posted by Cuba
Sorry to hear that. I had trans problems two years ago and it was the valvebody which we replaced along with a new TCU. Did you by chance ever have sudden violent shifts when accelerating that scared the crap out of you before this happened?
I never had that problem. I did feel a slight shudder at deceleration but that was it. It just died, was kinda weird but no other indications.

Sorry it took a while to answer...

Quick Reply: 04 CTT transmission failure... Need rebuilder... HELP!