Sponsored by:

955 Panorama Roof Reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 11:32 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 248 Posts
Default 955 Panorama Roof Reliability?

Considering my 5th 1st gen Cayenne, another Turbo S. Thinking of giving the one I'm driving to an employee as a company car and getting another to dote over. I've only had one Cayenne with the panorama roof and it sounded delicate, lots of bumping, b-pillar showed signs of being removed repeatedly for service. Was afraid to use it. How unreliable can they be, and is there anything else to look for? Thanks.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:32 AM
Corso
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 73 Posts

I have no insight to your question, but as a new, first time 955 Turbo owner, it makes me feel good that someone is considering their 5th!
Old 03-19-2015, 10:28 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I have heard nothing but bad things about the pano roofs. I didn't look into it much when I was purchasing my turbo, but from what I heard, it was enough for me not to consider one. Call your local dealer's service department and get their input, most of them will be open with you in regards to the reliability of the Pano roof if you tell them your intention (think about buying one with it).
Old 03-19-2015, 10:33 AM
Lexlthr
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 06 S with a black interior and a panorama roof. It’s a cool feature that my daughter and other passenger love but, if I could have done it all over again I probably wouldn't have got it. My Cayenne sits outside year round and is hotter than hell in the summer when I get in. My roof has gotten stuck being open all the way multiple times and took some pushing from me to get it to close. Also a rock or something hit my third panel (the one that doesn't move) and I now have a huge crack going almost all the way across.

DON'T DO IT!!!
Old 03-19-2015, 10:47 AM
rebrewer
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I have an '08 957 CTT with the pano roof and love it. It really gives a more open feel to the interior with all the extra view. I think it's important to keep the running surfaces clean (all sunroof cars) and the seals treated. There is a self-adjust feature that you'll want to use a couple times per year. I have the thermally insulated glass option and 4-zone ac so I'm not too concerned about heat. Of course it's not 100 here yet...

Mine is always garaged or in the carport and I have zero deductible comprehensive insurance in case something falls on the roof or damages the windshield.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:07 AM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

I can't speak as to the reliability, but if it goes, the repair cost is astronomical.

They look really great, but I wouldn't own one.

And I have to agree with Corso. I just got my first, and it's great to know you like them enough to have gone through 4.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:12 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

I've got one on my '08 CTT and I love it! It has performed nearly flawlessly over the year since I have owned my CTT.

I can certainly see the issues that could arise and I suppose I wouldn't consider a pano roof unless I did the work myself if something came up. The key to the Pano roof is keep it clean, take care of the seals as they "glue" themselves together and if something seems amiss, STOP! I generally treat it like my wife... with a gentle hand and soft touch...LOL

I open it one notch of the switch at a time and if it gets stuck, I start from the beginning again. This is very rare, but it does happen. Interestingly, I have never had a single leak from the roof, even here in rainy Seattle.

I have only had to reset the roof once in over 10k miles and that simply involved the reset procedure in the manual.

Cheers,
TomF
Old 03-19-2015, 09:26 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a '06CTTS and never a problem except like Tom above, it has gotten out of sync a couple of times but just closing it or resetting the switch corrected it. My second CTT with the Panoramic, first was a '05 and no problems except...
For a long time on both I had this squeak that I couldn't identify and others had this until someone finally posted about this plastic trim piece that I just put a piece of felt underneath and never again...finally peace.
I will also say that once a year I have re-lubricated the tracks and I use Dow Corning 100% Silicone grease on the sunroof seals to stop squeaks, lubricate the seals and increase longevity. Don't use a Petroleum lubricant on any rubber seal. Might work in the short term but in the long term it will shorten the life of rubber seals.
P.S. I have had the sunroof on both pigs and problem free as I posted above but personally I don't use it a lot. It wouldn't have mattered to me as I'm not much of a Sunroof guy but if your gonna have a Sunroof, why not have the King of Sunroofs.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:54 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
It wouldn't have mattered to me as I'm not much of a Sunroof guy but if your gonna have a Sunroof, why not have the King of Sunroofs.
I have a 996 C4 Cab and the Pano on the CTT is about as close to a cab as you are going to get on an SUV!

Cheers,
TomF
Old 03-20-2015, 12:08 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

3 years on the GTS and now 2 years on the 2009 turbo with no issues. The biggest benefit as far as I'm concerned is the huge amount of additional light, it makes the car feel really airy. As far as heat goes, here in the middle east even with the blind open, it gets no hotter than my old 2005tt with the small sunroof.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:09 PM
Gruber
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have an 08 Gts.

Ive been driving it less than a year. Dealer told me it was replaced shortly before I bought it due to excessive creaking.
That being said the Pano roof was one of the options I looked for. I love it. My car is always garaged and I unfortunately don't get to drive it as much as I'd like .Less than 4k since July
Old 03-20-2015, 09:24 PM
leek
Rennlist Member

08 here with 122K miles. Really like the light provided by the roof. No problems so far.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:22 PM
Gruber
Rennlist Member

rebrewer can you pass along the info on the self adjuster
Old 03-21-2015, 06:34 PM
rebrewer
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

1. Switch ignition off.
2. Turn **** to position A.
3. Switch ignition on.
4. Press **** up at its front edge in position A
and keep pressed.
The teaching process begins after around
5 seconds. Hold the **** pressed in position
until the roller blind and all roof elements have
completely stopped moving. The procedure
lasts a maximum of 20 seconds.
5. Release the ****.
The raised sliding/lifting roof element 3 closes
automatically. The teaching process is
then completed

It's important that the tracks are clean and the rubber bits treated.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:47 PM
Gruber
Rennlist Member

Thanks rebrewer. What do you on the rubber?

Quick Reply: 955 Panorama Roof Reliability?