Sponsored by:

CTT questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 07:13 PM
GRA
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTT questions

Hello from the UK I'm new to the forum. Just viewed a 2007 957 turbo with 106k miles, it checked out pretty well other than not being able to get much info on its history i.e. whether it's had plastic coolant pipes, water pump, carden shaft etc replaced.
A few questions:

What year did porsche move to metal coolant pipes?

The air suspension didn't do anything when moving the selector switch, with car in park and engine running, is there a special procedure for this or is it likely to be faulty?

Rear windscreen hatch wouldn't open when pressing button under the wiper, again was I doing something wrong? The boot('trunk') switch worked..

There was a LOT of turbo lag when driving in auto, i.e. not using tiptronic. I didn't get the chance to drive it hard using tiptronic, is the amount of lag significantly reduced when manually changing the gears?

Sorry for starting the first post with all the questions. Great forum
Old 03-21-2015, 07:47 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts
Default CTT questions

Originally Posted by GRA
Hello from the UK I'm new to the forum. Just viewed a 2007 957 turbo with 106k miles, it checked out pretty well other than not being able to get much info on its history i.e. whether it's had plastic coolant pipes, water pump, carden shaft etc replaced.
A few questions:

What year did porsche move to metal coolant pipes?

The air suspension didn't do anything when moving the selector switch, with car in park and engine running, is there a special procedure for this or is it likely to be faulty?

Rear windscreen hatch wouldn't open when pressing button under the wiper, again was I doing something wrong? The boot('trunk') switch worked..

There was a LOT of turbo lag when driving in auto, i.e. not using tiptronic. I didn't get the chance to drive it hard using tiptronic, is the amount of lag significantly reduced when manually changing the gears?

Sorry for starting the first post with all the questions. Great forum
Welcome
Everybody here is going to laugh at a 2007 957 ;-) The MY is 2008.
Porsche never moved to metal pipes. 957 has a different plastic. It's not supposed to crack.
For the AS to work, you have to close all doors. It won't move it any of the doors or trunk are open. If the compressor is faulty, there are cheap rebuild kits (same as for a touareg, many of the suppliers are from the UK).
The rear window button is prone to failure, just replace it.
Turbo lag should be even less than on a 955 TT, the N75 boost control valve might be shot. Does it push full boost later? If yes, it's a cheapo fix, simple DIY. If the boost fluctuates, change both the N75 valve and the diverter valves as they are likely to be EOL. Get APR R1 DVs.

Buy it
Old 03-21-2015, 07:57 PM
GRA
Intermediate

Thanks, as I understand 957 model year was 2007 in the UK then 2008 for export into the US?
It's definitely registered in 07 and is the shape newer than the 955 anyway!!

So by the sound of things if it's a 957 there's no need to be concerned about the coolant pipes?
I will be happy if that's the case, really want to buy the car just need to sell mine quickly first!!
Old 03-22-2015, 02:14 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As Lupo has said there was no production change from plastic to Al, this was merely a fix for the 955 issue. A better plastic was used for the 957 but there have been documented cases of the coolant distributer at the rear of the engine becoming unglued but as yet i would hardly call this common.

Unlike my 996t which I run exclusively in tip mode, I tend to run the CTT in auto and only use the tip or manual mode when absolutely necessary; I have found that in the Cayenne that I can generally use the throttle to fulfil my requests from the transmission. Due to the adaptive DME, if the car has been "driving Miss Daisy" then it can feel a bit flat and sluggish in non-sport mode. 20-30 mins of spirited driving will generally sort this out fairly well. The next thing, and it is something that I have not seen documented, is that pressing the LH Sport button does actually increase performance rather than just making the throttle more reactive. In my car, at least, with the LH Sport button off I get 0.7 bar of boost but with it engaged I run FSD throughout most of the rev range.

My recommendation, buy it and enjoy!
Old 03-22-2015, 05:40 PM
GRA
Intermediate

Thanks for the replys, that's good news regarding the coolant pipes and adaptive control. After following the UK used CTT market for the last year I've definitely decided on this one, just hope I can sell my other car this week to free up the cash!

Last edited by GRA; 03-22-2015 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:21 PM
GRA
Intermediate

Put a deposit down on it tonight!!! Very excited

Last edited by GRA; 04-04-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:54 PM
snzuloz
Instructor

Congrats!!!! Let us know how it turns out!
Old 03-23-2015, 08:18 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 548 Likes on 346 Posts

Nice.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:22 AM
leek
Rennlist Member

I had water distribution manifold failure, did not leave me stranded but the dealership did tow it and help with the final bill. At 122,000 miles I have replaced alternator, cardan shaft, starter pre emptively.
She is a little hard on batteries and brakes but whatta a car. I still look forward to driving it every day.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:32 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Looks nice and clean and a good price. If you are going to do any of the work on it yourself I would highly recommend the Durametric software to check for fault codes and to reset the Service Reminders. Always try to get to a dealer or and independent that can do a complete scan for you (if you don't have Durametric) to find any stored codes so you know where to start and you can always use any faults as a negotiating tool in a pre-purchase inspection.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:32 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GRA
Put a deposit down on it tonight!!! Very excited

...and so you should be!
Old 03-24-2015, 04:07 PM
GRA
Intermediate

Thanks for the positive comments folks, yes I'm intending on purchasing an OBD cable and durametric software. My previous car was/is an Alfa GTA so I'm used to keeping a fault code reader in the glove box!
As I understand the software is available to download for free, regarding the lead will I get away with one of the budget Chinese made ones or does it need to be the real deal?

Also, I'm looking to keep this CTT original other than pulling the secondary cats. Can anyone recommend the cheapest source for bypass pipes? Ideally in Europe but no big deal if I have to import, the best I have found so far are from a company called Hanksville hotrods in the US which come with adjustable hangers - I won't post the eBay link as was permanently banned from the forum for doing something similar the other week - I guess it's against 'Rennlist rules'!!!
Old 03-24-2015, 04:16 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Default CTT questions

Congrats!!!
Buy the real cable, don't waste money on Chinese knockoff.
Get the cat bypass pipes from Friedrich motorsport, Germany.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:54 PM
GRA
Intermediate

I'm struggling to find the Friedrich decat pipes, you don't have a link you can send me by chance?
Thanks
Old 03-24-2015, 09:10 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Default CTT questions

http://www.fms-tuning.de

I can't find it on my phone, might have to write them. 955 and 957 exhausts are the same as far as bypass pipes go FYI. Why not have them manufactured btw?

Quick Reply: CTT questions