Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Fob battery dying every month or two... anyone else? Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 01:47 PM
x98boardwell
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Key Fob battery dying every month or two... anyone else? Ideas?

My battery has been replaced in my key fob now about 3 times since I've owned it... less than 8 months.

- Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what could it be?
- Could it be possible that I'm using a compatible battery but maybe one that isn't strong enough or has less juice to begin with? My current battery is CR2032 from Energizer.

This is getting frustrating. I realize my pocket could be pressing the button for a long period of time and draining the battery but I doubt it.. I have been near my vehicle plenty of times and it hasn't unlocked or locked it. I also don't wear skinny jeans and this has never happened with any other vehicle before.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 09-25-2015, 08:47 PM
x98boardwell
Three Wheelin'

Bueller... Bueller...
Old 09-25-2015, 09:53 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Has to be either:

Crap batteries (unlikely but try different brands)

Faulty key, have you tried switching to your spare key for an extended period to see if the problem persists?
Old 09-26-2015, 08:27 AM
x98boardwell
Three Wheelin'

I wonder how the key could be faulty but still work? There isn't any sign of corrosion in there like it was submerged or something.

Unfortunately, the car only came with one key as the other one was lost, broke or something.

Anyone else with possibly this same experience?

Thanks for the help thus far
Old 09-26-2015, 09:14 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by x98boardwell
I wonder how the key could be faulty but still work? There isn't any sign of corrosion in there like it was submerged or something.

Unfortunately, the car only came with one key as the other one was lost, broke or something.

Anyone else with possibly this same experience?

Thanks for the help thus far
I see your point but it don't work like that, as theres electronics in there everything may appear ok.....

The key could still function (open/close) and car will still know the correct transponder is present so it`ll start (and not stop again like if it were incorrect)

I once totally submerged my key & remote by falling in the water off my jetski (was on my way back to deposit them in my dry bag when it happened) and it totally flattened the battery so the vehicle was unusable until I got a replacement but once I did it was fine but it showed me how fast a battery can drain
Old 09-26-2015, 09:15 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

I really feel the only way you're gonna move forward with this is to get another key, shame you don't have the original spare
Old 09-27-2015, 02:08 AM
x98boardwell
Three Wheelin'

I agree.. new key on order soon. That's the only thing I can think of as well to see. Would be good to have another anyways.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:43 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Don't waste your money on a new key. I had the same problem and the new key is just as bad. It eats batteries about every 3-4 months. I think that there may be a problem with some versions of the Kessy firmware that causes the key fob to eat batteries.

Cheers,
TomF
Old 09-29-2015, 11:51 AM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts

I had this problem on my Audi S5, RS5 and my last rover. When the vehicle is parked do not leave the key in it ( when mine is in the garage i use to leave the key fob in the cup holder, on a hook near the garage door into the house, or in a room near the vehicle). The new key fobs constantly beacon the vehicle when they are near or in the vehicle, to say " hi i'm here" and which door sensor it's near. When the key fob isn't near the vehicle doesn't get a " hi i'm here " signal and goes from every few seconds of beaconing, to longer and longer time limits between beaconing. When you walk near the vehicle the vehicle sends a " wake up" signal to the key fob, reads the security code in microseconds and then you are able to unlock or start the vehicle.

I started keeping the key fobs in my home office or in the kitchen and went from buying batteries every 3 months to every 9-12 months when I did so .

Just my 2-cents
Old 09-29-2015, 11:54 AM
beetleything
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2004 911 and it came with 2 keys.
1- works great, the other eats batteries every 3-4 months - i think that one is the fob, getting old and probably on the way out.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:21 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had this problem. Took the keyfob apart and made sure everything was aligned then bent the contacts so they would firmly contact the battery. I was getting replace battery warnings and the keyfob was dead because of a faulty or inconsistent contact.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:20 PM
x98boardwell
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for all the input/advice. Regarding the comment on leaving the key in the car. I wonder how close would be considered too close if this was the issue. The keys sit inside the house about 20 feet from the car. I would think this is common so I'm guessing that isn't the issue.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:50 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts

You could always check the current drain on your battery to confirm whether it is draw from the fob versus a battery quality issue.
Old 06-22-2021, 08:56 AM
Rita
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Key Fob

I have a 2017 Camaro and i am changing the key fob battery every 2-3 months, and i can't understand why?
The following users liked this post:
horse (06-25-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 01:25 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by Rita
I have a 2017 Camaro and i am changing the key fob battery every 2-3 months, and i can't understand why?
It appears you're not only in the wrong pew - you're in entirely the wrong church. Camaro = Chebby. Cayenne = Porsche. This is a Porsche forum. Collective knowledge about Camaro = zilch.

Quick Reply: Key Fob battery dying every month or two... anyone else? Ideas?