Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this what your horn/chime sounds like locking the doors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 07:52 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update on this? Trying to replace that "beep beep" sound with something else. Trying to source the location of the alarm lock horn, narrowed it down to passenger side firewall area, but cant locate it exactly. Anyone know where it is?
Old 08-11-2018, 10:08 PM
400North
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default alarm siren sound

The alarm siren (not to be confused with the horns) is on the drivers side next to the brake reservoir / under the fuse box.
You may be able to avoid replacement of the alarm siren. Mine had got very faint too. I recently ran into another problem with soaked drivers side carpets after a heavy rain. Found lots of good forums on fixing that issue by cleaning out the drain plugs for the cowl. You do this from underneath, by loosening the fender liner, and reaching up to the rubber drains and cleaning them out. While doing that I also stuck my finder up through the drain hole into the cowl area and found it with an inch or two of soggy leaves, pine needles, dirt, etc. Years of muck accumulation. There's likely many Cayennes on the road which have similar plugged drains and muck accumulation.
Once I cleared out that muck, the alarm horn was back to it's former loud sound. The leaves and muck had been pressing against the siren within the cowl.

Last edited by 400North; 08-21-2018 at 03:45 PM. Reason: clarification of why the alarm siren now works
Old 12-19-2022, 06:36 PM
RealPolItiK
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
It sounds terrible. Regular car horn sounds normal, but the alarm sound sounds like a failed horn.

Horn - YouTube
Would a fellow Rennlister please share a quick video of what the alarm siren should sound like when locking the doors? Mine sounds the same as OP's. Is that not right?

My low-pitched horn sang it's last note on the freeway last night. Want to confirm I need a new siren (955-618-237-02) before ordering all three horns at one time.
Old 12-19-2022, 07:50 PM
957austin
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

The video shown is the correct sound (known as the goose honk) for the 2003-04 Cayennes because those years are lacking the alarm siren part. The 05+ Cayennes included as standard an alarm siren which is the same Volkswagen electric chirp used on most VW / Audi products of the era. You can buy a used siren (1J0951605A) and hook it up to the 03-04 Cayennes and it will work if you also code the option. Note however that many old sirens have a leaky battery that can destroy the circuit board so buy with caution.
Old 12-19-2022, 08:11 PM
RealPolItiK
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine's an 2004 CTT. Good to know. Really appreciate the intel, thank you.
Old 12-19-2022, 10:58 PM
charsiuboar
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants;[url=tel:12743320
12743320[/url]]It sounds terrible. Regular car horn sounds normal, but the alarm sound sounds like a failed horn.

Horn - YouTube
yes mine sounds like it. Pathetic. I need to replace the horns. On the list of things to do at some point when I feel like taking the front fairing off.
Old 12-21-2022, 08:54 AM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by charsiuboar
yes mine sounds like it. Pathetic. I need to replace the horns. On the list of things to do at some point when I feel like taking the front fairing off.
Your alarm does not use the cayenne horns to make sounds when locking or unlocking the vehicle. It is a separate horn with it's own battery. They are good for 10-15 years and take a little bit to replace.
See pics below for what it takes to get to it. Was about $150. Now $320.

DISCONNECT THE BATTERY BY TAKING THE NEGATIVE POST OFF ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE DRIVERS SEAT FOOTWELL. You have to put the hood in service position against the windshiled (use a pad), pull of the wipers (keep track of what washers go where and starting position) without breaking the plastic retainers...that's fun. Pull off the cowl and reveal all the stuff you need to remove. Can it be done with cowl on? Maybe but I was sure nice to have the room. Take apart the electrical center (take a photo first for reference when you pull the relays, etc). Get all the way down in there and get the bastard out. Vac out all the leaves and various crap that accumulates. Reverse to install. Hope it starts because you plugged everything in correctly. A hint. Get yourself some old dental tools. They are wonderful for taking apart electrical centers.

new and old alarm horn

reference before taking apart

plugs that must be removed from box

what you end up with before you get to the horn

There it is way down there.

new horn installed with date

Quick Reply: Is this what your horn/chime sounds like locking the doors?