Sponsored by:

Weird Key Fob Issue On My 955.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 10:05 PM
sinking
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Weird Key Fob Issue On My 955.

I bought this 955 CTT a couple weeks ago and have noticed something odd. The key fob will unlock/lock the doors just fine for several iterations, then it will stop working for a little while. The little headlight on the key fob won't illuminate during this time. Then, it will go back to working just fine.

I've measured the battery. Over 3v. I've tried a new battery anyway. No difference.

Is there any common issue that causes this?
Old 02-13-2016, 10:06 PM
Lionworks Auto
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Keyless entry?
Old 02-13-2016, 10:23 PM
sinking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lionworks Auto
Keyless entry?
I just went out to check my options code list. Things worked a little differently this time. This time the led was lighting on the fob but I couldn't get it to unlock. I did eventually get it to lock though after I manually unlocked.

So, checked the options code list. No 4F2 or 4F6 for Keyless Entry. It looks like my only option code that is key related is 4K0 (Central-locking with remote control).

One other observation that may be related. It seems at least a couple times today the CD in the player started from 00:00:01, track 1 when I started the car. This would suggest to me that there is not enough battery power. I'm pretty sure the battery under the seat is new and I had the charger running while I lowered the suspension with the Durametric so I know it was in good condition at least a few days ago, though I haven't been driving it much this past week. There aren't two batteries on this thing, are there?
Old 02-14-2016, 07:34 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There was a Porsche TSB about relocating the antenna for the key fob. No idea what that entails, or what the exact symptoms were, but it was something that showed up in my cars maintenance history.

I don't have any info on the TSB number. I just remember seeing that TSB when renntech had access to the TSB database, and know it was done to my car under warranty.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:39 PM
Lionworks Auto
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sinking
I just went out to check my options code list. Things worked a little differently this time. This time the led was lighting on the fob but I couldn't get it to unlock. I did eventually get it to lock though after I manually unlocked. So, checked the options code list. No 4F2 or 4F6 for Keyless Entry. It looks like my only option code that is key related is 4K0 (Central-locking with remote control). One other observation that may be related. It seems at least a couple times today the CD in the player started from 00:00:01, track 1 when I started the car. This would suggest to me that there is not enough battery power. I'm pretty sure the battery under the seat is new and I had the charger running while I lowered the suspension with the Durametric so I know it was in good condition at least a few days ago, though I haven't been driving it much this past week. There aren't two batteries on this thing, are there?
Keyless is easy to see as would have a small rubber button in each door handle.

Some of the earlier 955's had a second battery in the rear compartment near or under the subwoofer.

Is battery charging properly when running. Check with voltmeter
Old 02-14-2016, 11:39 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Do both key fobs do this?
Old 02-15-2016, 06:55 PM
sinking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
There was a Porsche TSB about relocating the antenna for the key fob. No idea what that entails, or what the exact symptoms were, but it was something that showed up in my cars maintenance history.

I don't have any info on the TSB number. I just remember seeing that TSB when renntech had access to the TSB database, and know it was done to my car under warranty.
Thanks, I'll see if there is anything I can find on this TSB.

Originally Posted by Lionworks Auto
Keyless is easy to see as would have a small rubber button in each door handle.

Some of the earlier 955's had a second battery in the rear compartment near or under the subwoofer.

Is battery charging properly when running. Check with voltmeter
I don't have the options code for second battery so looks like I have just the one. I watched on the durametric while increasing load on the electrical system and even with a heavy load it maintained close to 14v, so I'd say charging system is probably good.

Originally Posted by Dan87951
Do both key fobs do this?
Actually, I'm not sure I've gotten the second fob to work at all. Both fobs have seen new batteries.

I think the PO told me there were two new key fobs before I bought it, but now I'm wondering if they may be the Chinese fobs from Ebay. I am inclined to believe they are new because the key looks like you'd expect of a 12 year old key, but the fob has almost no wear.

Does anybody know if genuine Porsche fobs have any markings on them?
Old 02-15-2016, 07:19 PM
sinking
Rennlist Member

I have a couple codes:

Key 1 out of synchronization
Implausible signal

Key 2 out of synchronization
Implausible signal

Any way to sync these without going to the dealer?
Old 02-15-2016, 07:51 PM
sinking
Rennlist Member

Update:

I performed the following procedure and now the second key fob works. We'll see if both key fobs continue to work.

1) Put key in running position.
2) Press and hold the lock button on fob. I did this for probably 10 seconds. I have no idea what the correct amount is.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:51 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

On my 04 one time the key fob quit unlocking remotely. The alarm would go off if I used the key. Had a certain amount of time after opening the door to insert and turn on or the key was not accepted. Then it magically started working again, remote and everything.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:07 PM
sinking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sinking
Update:

I performed the following procedure and now the second key fob works. We'll see if both key fobs continue to work.

1) Put key in running position.
2) Press and hold the lock button on fob. I did this for probably 10 seconds. I have no idea what the correct amount is.
Welp, didn't last long. When I got home after work I couldn't lock it with the fob. Performed the steps above, then was able to lock with the fob.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:09 PM
Brit6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My money is on KESSEY or Rear End Control Module.

Quick Reply: Weird Key Fob Issue On My 955.