Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions wanted...which would you pick?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 12:38 PM
najnad
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions wanted...which would you pick?

I am in the market for a 08-10 CTT or CTS. I have found two really nice examples, but each have a major issue that makes me pause:

Option 1: 08 CTT with all the options I want (plus a couple more) BUT the interior is not a color I like and the PO replaced the 21" rims with 20" rims (have no idea why)

Option 2: 09 CTS with all options I want (except for tow hitch) BUT the engine was replaced last summer by a Porsche dealer (havent found out why it was replaced yet, waiting for dealer to call me back) and as a result has a salvage title?

Option 3: just wait for another CTT or CTS that doesnt make me pause...

Both Cayenne's have low-average miles, seem to be in very good condition, accident free, and are close in price to each other.

What would you do?
Old 03-02-2016, 02:17 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't get a car with an interior you don't like. Is it the grey? I could never live with that corpse grey interior. I have palm green interior and I absolutely love it. It's one of the main reasons I haven't upgraded because it's really rare and I like it so much. At the end of the day the newness will wear off and you'll be stuck in that interior. So pick your favourite and be patient.
I wouldn't be vehemently opposed to a cayenne with a new engine but I would want a lot of backstory. If you plan on selling down the road expect diminished value and more difficulty with sale even if all it needed was a new engine. I didn't realise needing a new engine would brand a title —it must have smacked into something hard or at least that would be my concern.

There are a ton of 957s out there. Don't get too itchy and end up with remorse. The perfect one will bubble up soon. Maybe grab that 09 if you feel confident it wasn't wrecked and you get a healthy discount.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:50 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

What endless corners said about the interior.

If you don't like the color now, how long will it take for you to absolutely hate it? To the point where you hate the car?
I'm not picky about colors on most stuff, but I have to at least "like" the interior color of a car.

For the second one, I'd want some very clear and detailed answers about the engine and the salvage title. Some places make it difficult to change that to a "salvage-rebuilt" title, which can make any sort of comp/collision insurance impossible (the ins co will say "that car has been totalled out and paid for once, we won't do it again).

What happened, what (exactly, not just "the motor") was changed out, why it was declared 'salvage', all that.
It wouldn't necessarily make me walk away from the car, but I'd be very leery about it. It would have to be a great (not just "good") deal.

And, as was said, plenty out there. Sometimes you just have to wait for the right one. It took me about 6 months of casual looking for the right one to pop up.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:08 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

A replaced engine should not result in a salvage title. This is a red flag, check Carfax for an accident.
In any case it will result in a major hit when you go to sell. Unless it is very very cheap I would stay away from that one.

A switch from 21" to 20" tires results in a more comfy ride with a wider selection of all season tires. This should not be deal breaker.
If you don't like the wheels you can find 21" OEM pulls on Craigslist at reasonable prices.

Good luck with your search.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:36 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree there is no way replacing the engine should result in a salvage title there is more to that car and I would walk away as it sounds like they are trying to cover something up.

As far as buying a car with a replaced engine, if it was the whole motor and done at a Porsche dealer, who cares? What ever was wrong with the old motor should be gone in that case. Now if it was a partial teardown, then yeah I'd want to know details about the what and why.

On the interior color, I guess it depends on how bad you think it is. If it is something you absolutely hate, then walk away. If it's just not your ideal, but something you could live with, and it checks the rest of the options then I wouldn't write it off. Only you can decide that though.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:37 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

There are a few ways that a dead motor can result in a salvage title.
If the owner say, drove over a large rock and cracked the oil pan, for instance, then left the engine running while all of the oil drained out, the insurance company would consider this collision damage, and it could result in a salvage title (new engine retails for about $48,500 plus installation).
Old 03-02-2016, 06:40 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
There are a few ways that a dead motor can result in a salvage title.
If the owner say, drove over a large rock and cracked the oil pan, for instance, then left the engine running while all of the oil drained out, the insurance company would consider this collision damage, and it could result in a salvage title (new engine retails for about $48,500 plus installation).
Yeah but that's a lot different than "the motor had a problem, Porsche replaced it, and now it has a salvage title" which is what the information in the OP seems to suggest he has been told.

e.g. there is more to the story than simply an engine replacement.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:47 PM
najnad
AutoX

Update: since I havent been able to get the full story on the engine replacement, and the dealer with the ugly interior wont budge on the price, I am just going to be patient and wait until another one comes along with the options I want. Thanks all for the opinions.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:57 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

najnad,

Where are you located? Lots of current Cayenne owners know of most of the Cayenne's for sale in their area - so knowing where you are might result in some helpful leads being passed on.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:02 PM
najnad
AutoX

I am in the Baltimore/DC area
Old 03-03-2016, 12:07 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,044 Likes on 662 Posts

Hmmmm, yea I live here too,... but without a listing of your desired options, colors, price range,... etc,.... I do not have enough to go on.

From your orig post, I can only assume you want a CTT or CTTS in a '08 or '09.

I do have a buddy on the Eastern Shore that has a black GTS that is thinking of selling & moving to a 958.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:00 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by najnad
I am in the Baltimore/DC area
Prices are high in our area compared to NC, SC. Found a few good deals in the Southern NJ and DE Craigslist when I was looking to buy.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:34 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Concur with all regarding engine replacement and salvage title. Salvage titles are generally bad...

As for the interior color, have you seen it in person? I ask because I was faced with a similar decision 6 years ago with my CTT. The car was listed as silver exterior, bamboo green interior. Major turnoff! I went to look at a different CS at the same dealer (it had more 'normal' colors) and the sales guy told me I should just look at the CTT. I did, it was amazing, and as it turns out bamboo green looks black in low light, and in bright light blue/green in a dark sharkskin sort of way. Bottom line, it's a nice color that may not have been my first choice, but one that I'm quite happy with.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:09 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,044 Likes on 662 Posts

I would love to see that Bamboo Green in person. What years did they produce that?
Old 03-04-2016, 03:09 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You sure you don't mean palm green?

Quick Reply: Opinions wanted...which would you pick?