Sponsored by:

Need some help with blower motor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 12:09 PM
drsfmd
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some help with blower motor replacement

I posted this on another forum, but didn't receive much in the way of responses-- then I remembered that I had registered here as well...

I've gone through the archives, and haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I have decided to try to replace the blower motor on my 2008 Cayenne myself, as everything I've read indicates that it's a fairly easy job, and the dealer wants $800 to do it.

I have found a very good article about how to replace the blower motor, and I thoroughly grasp what it's going to take to get that part of the job done. What is unclear to me is how I get to the point where I can access the blower motor.

Do I need to remove the glove box? The panel above the passengers footwell? Both? I found an article about removing the glove box, but I haven't found anything about that panel. A little guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-04-2016, 01:53 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 788 Posts

You can access the blower motor without removing the glove box. You need to remove the panel with the footwell lighting below the glove box. It has been quite a while since I did mine, so I don't remember all the details. I do remember that there's a little clip that holds the panel in place that can be difficult.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:06 PM
Brit6
Racer

There should be one torx screw in the middle below the glovebox. Once that is removed the plastic kick panel should be able to be pulled out, releasing the 2 clips at the same time.

There should be no need to remove the glove box to replace the blower motor.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:07 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Specifying right-hand-drive vs left-hand-drive makes a substantial difference.
Lhd is as stated, simply remove the lower dash panel under the glove box and look up.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:21 PM
drsfmd
Intermediate

Thanks guys!

To confirm, it's LHD.

Any pitfalls to lookout for as I move forward with this?
Old 03-04-2016, 04:32 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

The biggest trouble I had was properly seating the replacement motor. It fits on a guide but it is possible to start some of the screws even though it isn't lined up. Just take your time and make sure things fit without having to force anything.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:29 PM
drsfmd
Intermediate

I wanted to loop back to let you all know that the replacement was a success. It took about 25 minutes-- so the $650 savings over having the dealer do the job was well worth it.

For anyone reading this in the future-- you do not need to remove the glove box (as noted above).

Remove one torx screw, and depress a couple of clips and the panel in the footwell pops out.
Disconnect the footwell light, and the two accessory ports to remove the panel from the car.
Remove the plastic piece that routes the air into the footwell
Disconnect the wires running to the blower
Unscrew the (7) 5.5mm screws that hold the blower in (the two against the fender wall under the wiring harness were tough).
Remove old blower.
Put new blower in place and line up a couple of the screws to hold it in. Putting it back together, it was tough to get the two "high" screws in... they came out easy, but getting them to line up going back in was a bit of a chore.

From there, reverse the rest of the instructions.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:54 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 794 Likes on 446 Posts

I actually left one of the 'high' screws out. It was just too difficult to get back in. That was a couple years ago, no problems.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:01 PM
Slothlife
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drsfmd
(the two against the fender wall under the wiring harness were tough).
I'm stuck on the last screw. Its butting up to the harness and seems impossible to get my driver in there, and the harness won't budge. Anybody have a trick for it?
Old 10-09-2020, 09:01 PM
Cuda4x4
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Blower motor

Originally Posted by drsfmd
I posted this on another forum, but didn't receive much in the way of responses-- then I remembered that I had registered here as well...

I've gone through the archives, and haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I have decided to try to replace the blower motor on my 2008 Cayenne myself, as everything I've read indicates that it's a fairly easy job, and the dealer wants $800 to do it.

I have found a very good article about how to replace the blower motor, and I thoroughly grasp what it's going to take to get that part of the job done. What is unclear to me is how I get to the point where I can access the blower motor.

Do I need to remove the glove box? The panel above the passengers footwell? Both? I found an article about removing the glove box, but I haven't found anything about that panel. A little guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Yes, you have to remove the entire glove box assembly. Start with the trim panel above the glove box, which is just snapped into place. A plastic pry tool is best since it won't damage the dash padding.
remove all the screws along the top (where the trim panel was) along with the screws underneath the glove box and remove the lower cover above the footwell. Also, behind the fuse panel cover on the passenger side there are a few screws. Then snap out (carefully) the air plenum, remove the drain hose ,etc.
remove the latch assembly from the inside of the glove box and let it hang out of your way. You can see all the electrical connections...carefully unclip those. There are a few good YouTube videos on this project, take your picket this point, you can clearly see the blower motor assembly. I am currently doing the same job, and I am at this point, where I need a break.
not a particuparticularly hard job.. Good luck with it.

Quick Reply: Need some help with blower motor replacement