Sponsored by:

2006 TTS - Reference Audio Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 10:34 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
Just got the enclosure fit and bolted in place. Now we're going to start on the "stealth" cover for the cargo area.

Does this mean you are doing away with the factory cargo floor? If not, I'm curious what you come up with to stop it from rattling and killing the bass frequencies.
There seems to be no hinge and the 12" upfiring kicker I have down there doesn't sound good (moving the cargo floor enough to cancel out and sound terrible) unless there is some weight on that floor. Putting pressure from underneath to stop movement does not work because of the lack of a hinge.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:42 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by AGARubberDuck
Does this mean you are doing away with the factory cargo floor? If not, I'm curious what you come up with to stop it from rattling and killing the bass frequencies.
There seems to be no hinge and the 12" upfiring kicker I have down there doesn't sound good (moving the cargo floor enough to cancel out and sound terrible) unless there is some weight on that floor. Putting pressure from underneath to stop movement does not work because of the lack of a hinge.
We're actually rebuilding the cargo cover completely out of baltic birch. It'll have an opening with a heavy-duty mesh grille where the subwoofer is. Once we reupholster the new panel you wont see any of it and the sub can still breathe through the panel.

Stay tuned, you'll see...
Old 04-07-2016, 06:26 PM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys do amazing work! Also its awesome to see someone investing so much time and money into an early Turbo. Thats dedication.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:36 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If any cayenne model has the remote potential to be a "future classic" it would be the 2006 CTTS. I can think of no other model that is as pure to the original concept.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:45 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Stealth floor cover is done. We used a sturdy baltic birch construction and repurposed the factory covering to make sure we had a perfect match to the factory floor carpet.

The provision for the subwoofer uses a heavy-duty perforated aluminum mesh that allows the subwoofer to "breath" while still remaining structurally sound. The factory floor latch was also retained and integrated into the new panel.

Old 04-10-2016, 02:34 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Alpine head unit mounted in the cage and fascia. The two modules wired up on the back are the steering wheel control interface and the parking brake module.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:05 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The in-dash is in the dash....

....yeah.

We're also putting in a ProClip phone dock with a custom cable hooked to the Alpine system for Apple CarPlay. More on that soon.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:35 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

iPhone holder mounted using a custom bracket that sits behind the silver trim so that the dash doesn't have to be modified.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:03 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

More pictures of the head unit.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:24 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

This is great, and obviously quality work. Your customer is getting every bit of value out of whatever he is paying.

But for an enthusiast and DIY-friendly site, a bit too showy and lacking useful meat. Perhaps this was never meant to be instructional, but I for one would love more details of the actual install.
ie:
1. Did you need to run new wires from the amps to the speaker locations? HU to amp route? Or were you able to repurpose the factory wire? If rewired, any headaches?
2. How is the cargo floor replacement hinged?

If you'd rather not give up your trade secrets, I won't hold it against you. Great looking install!!
Old 04-12-2016, 11:40 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by AGARubberDuck
This is great, and obviously quality work. Your customer is getting every bit of value out of whatever he is paying.

But for an enthusiast and DIY-friendly site, a bit too showy and lacking useful meat. Perhaps this was never meant to be instructional, but I for one would love more details of the actual install.
ie:
1. Did you need to run new wires from the amps to the speaker locations? HU to amp route? Or were you able to repurpose the factory wire? If rewired, any headaches?
2. How is the cargo floor replacement hinged?

If you'd rather not give up your trade secrets, I won't hold it against you. Great looking install!!
No trade secrets here, just a lot of experience that amounts to a great result.

I'm happy to share the details, I just get used to sparing them for most folks so I tend to lean towards the simple side when I'm doing a build log. I'm also not the one doing the hard work. I design the systems and then Mobile Electronics installer of the year Tom Miller makes it happen.

The doors had new wiring ran in to each speaker, I couldn't comment on the complexity since that's fairly common when we're into a build like this. I'll ask tom and get his note on that since you're interested.

The rear cargo cover hinges on the upholstery with a solid bar at the back thats bolted down to the floor. Other than servicing, no one will need to access that compartment regularly. If it was something that would be accessed daily we would have done a more elaborate hinge.

If you have anymore questions don't hesitate to ask. Maybe I can put up a system diagram showing what we did and how the new system is set up.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:06 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Forgot to post the final shots I took while tuning the DSP in the car. Even with high-quality equipment and a thorough integration, lots of EQ is needed to tune out the reflections and non-linearities.

A microphone is placed at the listening position to measure the acoustic response of the new system

The initial measurement shows a few major dips and peaks. These equates to some notes being attenuated and other being emphasized. True accuracy in the sound is a relatively flat response.

After a couple hours of tuning the signal is looking a lot better. We'll have about 4-6 hours of tuning in this session before we have the result we're after. Then in 30-60 days after the equipment breaks in, we'll do a follow up tune to dial it in even more.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:01 PM
colowhisper
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on a fantastic install, best I've ever seen in a Cayenne. But I'm betting dollars to donuts that the owner trades in the head unit for something else after living with the Carplay for a period of time. Its just too limiting for this car and system.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:29 AM
hirinhu
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by colowhisper
Congrats on a fantastic install, best I've ever seen in a Cayenne. But I'm betting dollars to donuts that the owner trades in the head unit for something else after living with the Carplay for a period of time. Its just too limiting for this car and system.
agree with you, oh man, what a job.... awesome

Quick Reply: 2006 TTS - Reference Audio Upgrade