Sponsored by:

04 CTT Won't Start - Video

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 06:44 PM
ahcjar103
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 04 CTT Won't Start - Video

been researching on the forums, believe it's either battery (but dont think so), starter (this was rebuilt in december), or fuel pump.

right now the car will crank fine but wont start (stops cranking after a few seconds). once every couple weeks it would do the turn-key-nothing-happens-try-again-starts-fine dance, and once every couple weeks it would start with low, slow cranks but fire on first try.

any ideas?

link to video: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...nVFU1FPRnpFSFE
Old 05-20-2016, 09:39 PM
ahcjar103
Intermediate

welp, tried taking out fuse 14 and then 13 and same problem so i'm thinking the fuel pumps are dead. only other thing it seems like it could be is the battery; will test that tonight.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:06 PM
ahcjar103
Intermediate

finally got a couple codes to throw... P0343 and P0347. so it's a CPS issue.

that, combined with a multimeter reading of 12.0-12.2 and i'm going to replace the battery first and clear the code. if that doesn't work check the connections to the CPS and reconnect. and if that doesn't work replace the sensor.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:22 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

It should be cranking over a lot longer. The ecu may be shutting down the starter operation because it isn't seeing any feedback from the cps.
From your video, the battery seems to have no problem spinning over the starter very quickly. I doubt replacing the battery is going to cure anything. At most, I'd disconnect the ground, put the battery on a charger for a few hours then try starting again. If it starts fine, then look into replacing the battery.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:10 PM
ahcjar103
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 19psi
It should be cranking over a lot longer. The ecu may be shutting down the starter operation because it isn't seeing any feedback from the cps.
From your video, the battery seems to have no problem spinning over the starter very quickly. I doubt replacing the battery is going to cure anything. At most, I'd disconnect the ground, put the battery on a charger for a few hours then try starting again. If it starts fine, then look into replacing the battery.
thanks, has some of the same thoughts as well. the impressions about the battery were the multimeter reading (i'm going to measure when trying to start, didnt' have time before) and the fact that it once in a while cranks very slowly when starting.

after i cleared the codes and tried to restart it cranked until i took the key out of the start position - at which point it surfaced the same codes. then, when trying again, it does the same thing in the video.

the sensors are inexpensive; might pick up a couple so i have those ready to install as well.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:31 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Should turn over WAY longer than that. Doubt it's a battery issue, But get a jump and that will confirm if it is. Send me $200 that you are about to waste on a battery....
Old 05-23-2016, 11:42 AM
ahcjar103
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 69gaugeman
Should turn over WAY longer than that. Doubt it's a battery issue, But get a jump and that will confirm if it is. Send me $200 that you are about to waste on a battery....
Thanks, I didn't end up getting the battery. Replaced the drivers side camshaft position sensor, now still getting p0343 and p0335. P0347 is now gone. When codes are clear the engine turns over and fires up for a split second then immediately dies. With codes present nothing happens when the key is turned.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:06 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All three sensors going at once is quite unusual. But based on the codes the other cam sensor (or wiring) and the CPS (and / or wiring) need to be looked at.

Quick Reply: 04 CTT Won't Start - Video