Sponsored by:

Possible new Porsche Cayenne owner, but concerns

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 09:37 PM
tjrob2000
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by v10rick
Coolant tube upgrade can be confirmed with a smart phone camera but as you mention use that as a bargaining chip.
How exactly would you check the coolant tubes? Where to put the phone camera to take this pic? Doesn't seem like there's a good place for it from what I've seen.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:34 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 548 Likes on 346 Posts

Here ya go. Post number 443.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...es-a-z-30.html
Old 07-17-2016, 11:01 PM
tjrob2000
Instructor

Originally Posted by mtnrat
Thanks for the link, but how many owners are going to let me remove a cover in their engine compartment? Guess it never hurts to ask.

On another note, I wonder about some features that should be on these (and other cars in this price/class range) but aren't? LIke, my Infiniti G35, '07, has adaptive cruise and an electric tilt/telescoping wheel that also has the instrument panel move with it. Why couldn't Porsche (and Mercedes on the M class) do this? Just makes me wonder a bit.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:05 AM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by tjrob2000
Thanks for the link, but how many owners are going to let me remove a cover in their engine compartment? Guess it never hurts to ask.
You: Have the plastic coolant pipes been replaced with aluminum ones?

Seller: I don't know. What are you talking about?

You: (after a quick explanation of what they are and why it's important) May I spend 5 minutes removing the plastic beauty covers at the back of the motor to see? It's a several thousand dollar job and I need to know one way or the other.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:21 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
You: Have the plastic coolant pipes been replaced with aluminum ones?

Seller: I don't know. What are you talking about?

You: (after a quick explanation of what they are and why it's important) May I spend 5 minutes removing the plastic beauty covers at the back of the motor to see? It's a several thousand dollar job and I need to know one way or the other.
OR

If we are unable to confirm the pipes were replaced how about $3K off your asking price and I will assume the risk?
Old 07-18-2016, 12:28 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

On another note, I wonder about some features that should be on these (and other cars in this price/class range) but aren't? LIke, my Infiniti G35, '07, has adaptive cruise and an electric tilt/telescoping wheel that also has the instrument panel move with it. Why couldn't Porsche (and Mercedes on the M class) do this? Just makes me wonder a bit.
P could do that but their reasoning is it allows the buyers to personalize to their liking.

Translation...we make a boat load of money on this truck, by itemizing the options the sky is the limit.
You may have noticed the option pricing boarders on outrageous.

Hey if you want a Porsche, bend over.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:58 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 794 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by v10rick
Hey if you want a Porsche, bend over.
Well, a new one, anyway. They're quite the bargain used!
Old 07-19-2016, 12:57 PM
tjrob2000
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
Well, a new one, anyway. They're quite the bargain used!
For the most part I agree with them being a bargain used, however, in the Texas area most I find are at used car dealers. I find very few, and I mean VERY few, that are actually posted by private owners. I've looked on CL, Autotrader, Cars.com, cargurus, etc. 90% are dealer. Funny thing is those that are private sales are asking more than dealers.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:51 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

For the most part I agree with them being a bargain used, however, in the Texas area most I find are at used car dealers. I find very few, and I mean VERY few, that are actually posted by private owners. I've looked on CL, Autotrader, Cars.com, cargurus, etc. 90% are dealer. Funny thing is those that are private sales are asking more than dealers.
Buy remotely and make the drive back a road trip. The Cayenne is the most comfortable long-distance automobile I have ever owned.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:35 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy remotely and make the drive back a road trip. The Cayenne is the most comfortable long-distance automobile I have ever owned.
Agree and reason I have kept my 2006 ****. New Pigs have lots of features but have shrunk in size and the Cayenne ain't huge, mileage decent at 70-90 mph ~17mpg highway only, tons of power even from a 10 year old 4.5L V8, mobridge BT phone and ipod music and the only real annoyance is no back up camera but I may break down and do that.. just haven't read if I can do it into the NAV display in the forum yet!
Old 07-20-2016, 09:59 AM
tjrob2000
Instructor

I'll be working out a deal this morning for the one I looked at in Austin. Should be able to get it for around $12k OTD. Needs the rear hatch struts which he's already willing to cut the price for so I just have to work out the coolant pipes. I tried getting my camera in to inspect, but the engine was hot and I couldn't get a good angle or it was totally out of focus. Need an endoscope for this. Hopefully I'll be picking it up today or tomorrow.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:11 AM
tjrob2000
Instructor

Quick question. Can a dealer check the service history of a car even if it was serviced at another Porsche dealer? I ran an autocheck report and it shows some dealer service done but doesn't give the dealer name.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:14 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Quick question. Can a dealer check the service history of a car even if it was serviced at another Porsche dealer? I ran an autocheck report and it shows some dealer service done but doesn't give the dealer name.
I believe yes.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:17 AM
tjrob2000
Instructor

I believe yes.
I just spoke with the local dealer and was told no.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:26 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

My experience has been "no" as well. If you check a Carfax to see where it has been, call up the dealers in the area and supply the VIN. Most will send records.

Quick Reply: Possible new Porsche Cayenne owner, but concerns