Sponsored by:

Possible new Porsche Cayenne owner, but concerns

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 09:51 PM
tjrob2000
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Possible new Porsche Cayenne owner, but concerns

I'm in the market for an SUV and need something comfortable, 4wd, and room for a moderately sized dog (puppy now, but not for long). I've considered the larger trucks out there (Yukon, Sequoia, Expedition/Navigator), but they are bigger than I want. I started looking at the Infiniti FX35 and Cayenne as they are in the same price range and size that I want. I have driven both and the FX35 is out for me as I couldn't get the seat low enough for my comfort and the headrest pushed on my head. Drove a Cayenne S Titanium and really like it. Performance is good, handling feels good, and it is comfortable. I especially liked the up/down lumbar support adjustment!

On to my concerns. I'm not expecting a perfect car nor do I expect a Cayenne to be super cheap to maintain, but some research I've done gives me pause about this purchase. Reading that Porsche was stupid enough to run coolant pipes through the hottest area of the engine is bad enough, but to make them plastic and on top of that put the starter in that very same area! Engineers that do things like that should be made to work on their designs for a year to learn how utterly idiotic they are! Ok, rant aside, I need to know how reliable the metal pipe upgrade is. I do plan on doing everything I can to find out if any candidate vehicle has had this upgrade.

Second concern is the ignition coil sticks. Have they solved the problems I've read about regarding them cracking at low mileage?

What other major/significant issues should I be aware of?

One more thing to add. I know this sounds like I'm looking for toyota reliability, I'm not. I've owned my share of higher maintenance cars from Saabs to Alfa's to VW's to my current Infiniti (thought not really high maintenance at this point with 150k miles) and I've done my own work on all of them. Head gasket jobs, total engine rebuild, you name it except for transmission work. My main question is is this car worth the problems I've uncovered so far?

Tom
Old 07-08-2016, 10:00 PM
CTTS520
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes. Absolutely worth it. Especially considering your mechanical skills
Old 07-08-2016, 10:18 PM
pugface
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

You don't say what year you are looking at - so are we talking a $10K or $150K purchase? I was in the same boat a year ago, my take from reading up on Rennlist and other sources:

1. If you get a 'good one' it will be great, if you get a bad one, it will be terrible. Your knowledge of mechanicals should hopefully be able to steer you into getting a 'good one'

2. If you are thinking of getting a base or S, test drive a turbo. If you are positive you are getting a base or S, don't drive a turbo, as you don't want to know...

My advice? Whatever price range you are looking at, hold out for a Turbo S

pf
Old 07-08-2016, 10:25 PM
pugface
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh, geez, I missed the important part

is it worth it? Absolutely.

I live just north of you in Hill Country - I assume you've been up on our twisty roads. I can't say it carves the corners like a 911, but I can't imagine anything else whipping through the curves with 4 passengers and a trailer like it does.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:34 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Agreed, soooo worth it if you enjoy driving spiritedly. It's not a sports car, but it's the closest you'll get in something that size!

As to your questions, yes if the pipes have been upgraded they should be good. The real question if you look at one that has been upgraded, however, is if they were done preventatively or after a failure. If they were done after the fact then count on problems with the starter and xfer case seal unless there is record of them being replaced at the same time. Personally I'd go with one that hasn't been replaced and then do it first thing. That way you know what state it is in (also gives you a haggling point ).

I haven't followed the coils complaints, but I know cracked coils happen on other models too. It's just a result of aging plastic plus heat and you need to replace them periodically. The 996 is what I'm familiar with where they just cause misfires, but I don't know if it's something uglier on the Cayenne.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:22 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Me likey my S very much.

Have a Golden Retriever, 70lb. She loves going for a ride!

Honestly with my other car being a 928GTS if my Cayenne were a Turbo would have gotten my license suspended for speeding tickets.

In my mind it feels like I am driving this...

Old 07-09-2016, 08:41 AM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Please be more specific about the year/mileage you are considering. 2003 thru 2006 can be the most problematic.

From a previous owner of a 2003 FX45 (purchased new)....the FX seats were terrible for my 6'2" frame and quirky low back. The Cayenne S or TT is the best choice if you enjoy spirited driving.

We hear you about the starter and coolant pipes but consider this is a true off road truck. Models with air suspension are quite capable in rough terrain. The pipes and starter location keep them from harms way.

From Moto Verso...

The Porsche Cayenne S proved to me first hand that it is a very capable off-road vehicle. It managed to conquer big inclines, steep descents, extreme side tilts, and 3 wheeling over obstacles. There is no doubt that the Cayenne can compete with the best in the off-roader market, but don’t forget that this car is also pretty good on the road too, doing 0-60mph in 5.5secs and has a top speed on 160mph.

With your mechanical skills the Cayenne is one to consider. Just be aware that most parts will not be available at the local Autozone store. A VW dealer parts counter is a better place to start. P parts can be pricey but through site sponsors they are available at discounted prices.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:51 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 794 Likes on 446 Posts

DO IT!
Old 07-09-2016, 10:13 AM
tjrob2000
Instructor

Originally Posted by v10rick
Please be more specific about the year/mileage you are considering. 2003 thru 2006 can be the most problematic..
I'm looking at 2006 or newer. Price range up to $14k, maybe $15k. I've seen a few in the $12k range.

I hear ya on getting one that hasn't been upgraded and doing the work myself. I'll definitely have it checked out and use that as a haggling point. Thanks for all the input!

Tom
Old 07-09-2016, 12:51 PM
Gokart3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't had mine long, but had been on a 3+ year search for the right truck and found it. I know it's gonna test me at times, but that's part of the game. But the rewards of driving this heavy "SUV"... Damn! It's my 94th car purchase [ "My name is Brad... and I have a car problem" ]. I'd have to say that so far, it's one of my best purchases ever. I intend to keep this thing as long as I can keep it going. If you look at every other SUV on the planet, there really isn't substitute. I figure I can tow my track car with it, and if I break that, I could just do the track day with the Cayenne. Hell... this thing tows 7716 LBS. Amazing. With your skill set, and hopefully an awesome set of tools like Spicoli's Dad, you'll be fine.

I've lurked this forum for a long time, and really haven't had much to contribute. But, there is a good collective of folks here with connected brain cells that can help guide you on your purchase. There are also some good tutorials here.

I think as long as you can find a good solid truck, that's had proper maintenance and hopefully a couple of the biggies already addressed, you'll be good. I've owned a handful of Porsche cars in the past, and am still amazed at how well thought out most parts of their vehicles are. A few headscratchers... yup, but overall an amazing vehicle.

RESEARCH, find the most solid truck you can, and pull the trigger. You won't regret it.

Last edited by Gokart3; 07-09-2016 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:27 AM
tjrob2000
Instructor

Originally Posted by CTTS520
Yes. Absolutely worth it. Especially considering your mechanical skills
While my mechanical skills (I believe) are good enough to fix most issues I may come across the larger question is do I want to anymore? I read through some of the 293 comments on the repair/warranty list thread and that thread is very depressing. I'm going to go look at another '06 this morning and will certainly do what I can to find out if some of the issues I've read about have been addressed, but I'm starting to lean away from this car.

I drove an Acura MDX yesterday and that is almost as nice as the Cayenne. Good power and handling and the ride is very comfortable. Plenty of room for our dog (once he's grown) and it's in great condition. Decisions, decisions......
Old 07-11-2016, 12:28 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 794 Likes on 446 Posts

I find the Cayenne to be pretty easy to work on, and I'm not a great wrench. I've had my mechanic do fuel pumps and downpipes, but I did the Cardan shaft, remounted the nose after I hit a deer, plugs and coils, blower motor, and the Curt hitch.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:32 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by tjrob2000
I drove an Acura MDX yesterday and that is almost as nice as the Cayenne. Good power and handling and the ride is very comfortable. Plenty of room for our dog (once he's grown) and it's in great condition. Decisions, decisions......
I'd suggest you go drive a Lexus RX-350. They just don't break. Ever. They are as boring as snot to drive, but they never break.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:57 PM
tjrob2000
Instructor

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I'd suggest you go drive a Lexus RX-350. They just don't break. Ever. They are as boring as snot to drive, but they never break.
I'm not looking for boring as snot, but thanks. I have 0 interest in the Lexus.

While I didn't go tossing the MDX around on a twisty road I did take it through a few good turns and it did quite well and it did receive good reviews in the road test write-ups when it came out so I'm not worried about that with this vehicle. And I realize they are different animals it's just a matter of what I'm willing to put up with to have the most fun and comfort. All else being equal I would get the Cayenne w/o hesitation, but if I'm looking at putting thousands of dollars in maintenance (even if that is mostly my time) over the next 3-4 years then it may not be worth it. My time is way more valuable to me now.

The detractor for me on the MDX is the engine is transverse and I hate working on transverse vees.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:58 PM
tjrob2000
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
I find the Cayenne to be pretty easy to work on, and I'm not a great wrench. I've had my mechanic do fuel pumps and downpipes, but I did the Cardan shaft, remounted the nose after I hit a deer, plugs and coils, blower motor, and the Curt hitch.
That's encouraging.

Quick Reply: Possible new Porsche Cayenne owner, but concerns