Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 owner looking hard at a 955

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 01:44 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

IIRC, they used a Cayenne at Exotics Racing in Vegas to take us for a group familiarization run around the track a couple of times. So, instructor driver and 4 passengers in a Cayenne being flogged impressively around the track. Remarkable.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:36 PM
aftCG
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A good decision as 99.7% of owners just don't need two feet of low range wheel articulation in the grocery store parking lot.
You've obviously never loaned a car to my ex wife.

I don't have much of a dog in this fight. I have a boxster S and just bought a pig (955s) for a real good price. I'm not really scared of any of it's flaws (also in our driveway is a Touareg V10 TDI), and I can assure you the gas V8 with non air ride is a fairly simple vehicle.

I did the valve body in our previous Touareg gas V8 and also did brakes and front suspension. Not much to hate about them. With the Cayenne, coolant pipes are a one and done. Coils are annoying but easy to replace.

"Not a Porsche". Meh. By some measures neither is a 914, 924, 944, many would say the 986 and certainly not a 718 right?

For a pig it's pretty sporty. It's a fairly haul *** car that handles above its weight class. Quiet enough inside, all weather capable, really nice interior and controls are similar to my boxster. Pretty sure I'm going to have it for many years.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:37 PM
Dokebi1221
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you need a mid-size SUV that handles the best amongst all the SUVs, then Cayenne is way to go.

The end.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:33 AM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Buzz Killington
Hi all,

I've read as much as I could about typical issues here and have devoured many of the "should I buy" threads to educate myself. Just looking for some informal thoughts.

I DD a 2000 911 C2 around 18-20k/year. Great car. Almost at 102K. PO did lots of work to it. I have put a fair bit into repairs recently (AOS recently, coils and plugs before that)...the regular maintenance stuff I DIY and the PITA stuff I let the shop handle. Sadly that has been to the tune of $1200-$1500 the last two trips. Now the RMS is starting to weep again. (Was replaced a few years ago.) Otherwise the car runs great (knock on wood).

I do, however, have some really tall teenage kids who are starting to despise my car because they fight over who has to sit in the back.

By chance I stumbled on to a '04 Cayenne S at a dealer. Lower mileage (mid-80s) and some thoughtful mods that made me think it had been enthusiast owned. By some careful sleuthing I tracked down the PO a few states away who very kindly confirmed my suspicions. He was "car guy" and among other things had done the following on the '04:

- Synthetic fluids
- Upgraded aluminum coolant tubes
- Upgraded ignition coils, cardan shaft, battery, water pump, brakes/rotors
- Recent transfer case replaced
- LED tail lights
- Liftgate shocks
- K&N filters / Cabin filter
- 20" wheels/spacers
- Custom Magnaflow/Techart exhaust

I'm sort of on the fence about losing the 996, but this seems like an opportunity to get a bigger vehicle with a relatively high degree of confidence.

I guess this is more of a gut check - should I go for it?

Thanks,

Dave
K&N air filters are garbage. All they do is let more fine particles past the air filter.

The overwhelming issue with the S is scored cylinders. The cost of maintaining an S is about identical to a Turbo.

Skip the S and find a Turbo. Spend a little bit more but get a lot more for your money.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:36 PM
pugface
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 996 and 955. Before that I had a Jaguar XJ8. The Cayenne sometimes reminds me of it - plenty of space for 4 adults, ample power, nice ride.

The Cayenne impresses me most for its ability to pull off several 'feels' - it can be a powerful luxury sedan, a trailer-pulling truck, an off-roader, a sporty ride, and a muscle car (at least the Turbo S )

It is also no 'jack of all trades, master of none; - it is extremely capable in all of the above - IMO, it can beat a Jaguar sedan, Ford F-150, Jeep Cherokee, Lexus whatever, at their own game.

But it can't beat another Porsche at its own game - I think by spec the Cayenne Turbo S is quicker than a 996, but the feel is much different, the 996 is a sports car.

The obvious answer is 'keep both!' - of course everyone's situation with garage space and finances are different. If I had to choose just one?

Tough question. Depends on you driving situation. If I spent most of my driving commuting into the city, like I used to, the Cayenne. For me, I'd keep the 996 if I could only have one.

But cars are usually a family matter. Typical married couple where wife has her own car? Let her drive the kids around and keep the 996! But if only one car for the family, Cayenne.

Also as you've noticed, kids age! There is a small window between when they are too big to fit in the back of a car, and when they will be driving themselves and don't want to be in your car anyways. I'd hate to make a decision based on what will be a very temporary situation...

pf
Old 07-16-2016, 07:19 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Buzz Killington
Hi all,

I've read as much as I could about typical issues here and have devoured many of the "should I buy" threads to educate myself. Just looking for some informal thoughts. .............................

By chance I stumbled on to a '04 Cayenne S at a dealer. Lower mileage (mid-80s) and some thoughtful mods that made me think it had been enthusiast owned. By some careful sleuthing I tracked down the PO a few states away who very kindly confirmed my suspicions...........

I guess this is more of a gut check - should I go for it?
Thanks, Dave
Dave: Read more about alphas/betas. I wouldn't buy a 2003-4 under any circumstances -- don't care how good the previous owner took care of it. you have lots of expensive issues that could happen. You are much better with a 2006 - 2008 models (2007 doesn't exist you have 2 years of 2006's due to a mid-year change/update).

Last edited by MadFox; 07-20-2016 at 07:38 AM.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:02 PM
boxsternewbie
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmadd
I did the same thing -- traded my 2000 996 for a 2008 Cayenne GTS. Kids had outgrown the backseats on the 996.

Here what I learned: they are NOTHING alike. Other than the brand name glued to the back, they are absolutely nothing alike.

The Cayenne is a very nice SUV, but it's not a Porsche. Sure, the engine growls at startup, but every kid at a stoplight can outrun you (the Cayenne is heavy!). The experience is totally, radically different. My 996 was speed yellow. You get looks. The Cayenne pretty much blends into the crowd. And the drive? The 996 drives like what it is -- a lightweight, low-slung sports car with minimal frills and a tiny frunk. The Cayenne is really comfortable, the cabin is quiet, and there's plenty of space for stuff.

If I had the garage space, I would have kept the 996 for fun, but I don't. I miss the 996 on those (pretty rare) occasions when I'm driving by myself on open road. But otherwise, the Cayenne is far more functional and fits my life -- I can fit a stroller in the back, pick up stuff at Lowes, etc.

Good luck with your decision.
sounds like you bought the wrong Cayenne. That's why I bought the 2011 turbo. 100 horsepower more than your GTS, 150 ft-lbs more and 500 lbs lighter makes an enormous difference. But I agree, the 957 Cayenne S I drove was slow, I wouldn't have bought one, and it did seem like it was only Porsche in name alone.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:08 PM
boxsternewbie
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Torre
Actually there is a video on YouTube were Autocar pits a 958 Turbo against a 997.2 C4S on track, and the Cayenne comes within 1 second of the 911 .

But it's true, the Cayenne is designed to be able to drive on track, not to drive on track. The only Cayenne that is 'fast' is the Turbo, anything else will struggle to match a Golf GTI in a straight line (at least from stand still). Regarding reliability - If the bills are racking up on a 911, a Cayenne is definately not your solution, at least not a 955.
this video?

link not working,

Old 07-24-2016, 02:12 AM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

For another perspective, I'm a 955 ctt owner currently shopping for a 996 or maybe 997. The 02 4S I drove was completely underwhelming. Acceleration couldn't touch my cayenne, it was super noisy and kinda rickety. It reminded me of a $500 Honda prelude I had in college. The 4S was solid, probably corners like no other, but in nearly every other way is an inferior vehicle.
If the cayenne isn't a true Porsche, I guess to me that means a "true Porsche" as a daily driver is only good for taking roundabouts like a boss.
I'm sure I'm stepping on all kinds of toes speaking this taboo, but tell my why I'm wrong (I actually want in on the secret.)
Old 07-24-2016, 11:32 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AGARubberDuck
For another perspective, I'm a 955 ctt owner currently shopping for a 996 or maybe 997. The 02 4S I drove was completely underwhelming. Acceleration couldn't touch my cayenne, it was super noisy and kinda rickety. It reminded me of a $500 Honda prelude I had in college. The 4S was solid, probably corners like no other, but in nearly every other way is an inferior vehicle. If the cayenne isn't a true Porsche, I guess to me that means a "true Porsche" as a daily driver is only good for taking roundabouts like a boss. I'm sure I'm stepping on all kinds of toes speaking this taboo, but tell my why I'm wrong (I actually want in on the secret.)
Well to be fair there are many that feel 996s aren't "true Porsches" as well
Old 07-24-2016, 04:02 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Well to be fair there are many that feel 996s aren't "true Porsches" as well
valid.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:27 PM
carreragt2e
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from a 2002 996tt to a CPO 2013 Cayenne GTS. Car seat didn't fit in the 996 and neither did a stroller. Trunk space and a actual 2nd row of seats are important these days. I don't have much time to work on my own vehicles anymore and I wanted something newer that, fingers crossed, will be more reliable. I'll miss my 911 but I can always find another one down the line.

I went with the GTS over the Turbo because I liked the looks and sounds of it better. The naturally aspirated V8 sounds great and makes me happy on my daily commute as well as weekend road trips with the family. I'm not looking for bragging rights or trying to win races.

Beyond forum postings I've never heard someone who owns a Porsche say the Cayennes are not true Porsches. Didn't the company start out as a tractor company anyhow?
Old 07-24-2016, 07:49 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by carreragt2e
Beyond forum postings I've never heard someone who owns a Porsche say the Cayennes are not true Porsches.
Sadly I have experienced it first hand at a PCA AutoX event, though they still chose to make snarky comment behind my back rather than to may face.

I did turn some minds by the end of the day though as I had 5 or 6 come over to expressed how impressed they were with it and to ask questions. My instructor said it was the best ride along he had all day and he was going to start driving his wife's more

Quick Reply: 996 owner looking hard at a 955