Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions requested from 911 AND Cayenne owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 02:41 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Hmm. The wife's DD is an '09 G8 GT. There we have a NA V8, rear wheel drive, and more cabin space then even the CTT. We also have (had) matching Suzuki Katana 750's. I sold mine, with the intention of getting something with 4 wheels and 2 doors that would get similar usage.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:23 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
Yep. A standard stg 3 S4 is on-par with a stock 996TT. S4 is a great GT car, but kind of a floppy chassis. 996 is a much more balanced sports car in the steering/handling/power department. Was simply pointing out the fact that easy power (AWD + torque) wasn't as fun to me as less power but more responsive driving dynamic. A fast, free revving engine contributes to that.

Not mine - just for comparison sake.
Got it. No problem, just sticking up for the much-maligned 996s of the world. I actually have a B6 A4 Avant sitting in my driveway right now. Great little car. But it would be akin to a toenail clipper in a gun fight against my 996tt.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:03 PM
pbarch1
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I own both, a 09 Cayenne GTS and a 06 997s cab. They are worlds apart. The GTS is quite in comparison to the 997 both are supple to drive around town. I've never really understood the lack of power argument that I constantly hear. I don't track either car, if I did I might have a different opinion. But even pushing the 997 hard in the twisties I'm completely convinced it has way more to offer than I am capable of managing.
JMTC
Old 07-15-2016, 11:46 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 429 Likes on 173 Posts

I have:
- 2014 Panamera GTS
- 2008 Cayenne S
- 2009 Carrera (PDK)

the PGTS is incredible in all respects. The Cayenne S is an excellent blend of comfort and space with a strong and solid engine, only let down by the slow shifting TipTronic box.

On my 997.2; with only a few small modifications (M&M Street Sport Exhaust, GT3 Sway Bars, Tarrett Drop Links, TechArt Springs and Bilstein B6 shocks) the 997.2 is the car I drive every weekend went I want a really thrilling and all engaging drive. The handling, sound and feedback is just phenomenal. Even though it's no Turbo, the lightweight body, tight suspension setup and incredible sound beats the Panamera hands down for an all out fun drive.

I say all this with absolute admiration for the Panamera GTS which to me is the ultimate drivers sedan, and I absolutely love also.
Also when I initially started looking at 911's I thought I'd need to look for a GTS or Turbo, and quickly realized that even the 3.6 DFI with PDK and Sport Chrono is plenty fast for most purposes, even when compared with something like a Panamera GTS. Even better - the price point of the 3.6 leaves lots of room for modifications to set the car up exactly how you want it.

Hope this info can help in some way. Lots of great options out there - good luck with the search
Old 07-17-2016, 11:39 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's just say comparing a Cayenne to a 911 is well... kind of silly - they really are two completely different vehicles and have totally different uses - one practical (ROI - maybe not) and one pure fun.

I have owned two Cayennes. 04 (Beta) was in the shop almost every month or so. TSB's and glitches that were inexcusable... but we suffered through until Porsche finally realized that non-sports cars/SUV's require a different approach than a racing vehicle... I bought a Tit.S. (Oct. 06) and still have it today (can't find anything that is as good that wouldn't be $70K or more).

I had always wanted a 911 and almost bought one in the 80's in Germany (gray market) but they changed the rules while stationed in the Med. In Dec. 2008 bought a 2002 911 Targa for a steal due to the economic climate. It is totally different and that's why I bought it.

It rides rough compared to the Cayenne
It is low thus putting stress on my old knees and back when exiting/entering
It is hated by the wife -- "it's noisy, it's a harsh ride, it's not that comfortable -- I don't get it" - I tell her she never will if she doesn't!
I drive around town by myself mostly and love to "punch it" on interstate on-ramps, etc.
It is in every way less of a comfortable car than a Cayenne -- and that's a good thing.

Lastly, it is an automatic and I thought I would hate it but figured with a CPO option in 2 years I could get rid of it if I hated the automatic and the car overall. 7.5 years later --- it's still my joyride week-end car. If you can, it's best to own them both!

Last edited by MadFox; 07-20-2016 at 07:52 AM. Reason: add year to 911 description
Old 07-17-2016, 11:02 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Hey MadFox, another guy here who used to fly around with a MAD boom sticking out my *** (retired S-3 guy). So you've got a 996 targa - but you never visit the 996 madness?
Old 07-18-2016, 01:38 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AGARubberDuck
Great input from everyone, within a day no less. Thanks!

I will be driving/checking out several more. Hopefully I just had a poor first experience. But as rpm's S2 mentioned, perhaps a 'real' sports car isn't what I'm after. The CTT has left such a highly-positive impression on me I just assumed the 996/997 would be an excellent addition to the stable.
I think it is an excellent addition - but only if you are looking for something that is almost exclusively, "fun." And by fun, I mean loud, fast, and nimble... At least that's my definition.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:58 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

I've got a 2006 CTT with Softronic tune and a 2008 997 C2S with TPC Turbo kit.

The Cayenne is very fast. Strong, effortless power. Whisper quiet and luxurious. Agile and sporty for an SUV, but not a sports car. Can pull a massive trailer when needed. It's probably the most well-rounded vehicle I can think of. Only the lazy transmission keeps it from being perfect.

I got the 997 eight months ago after owning the Cayenne for several years. It was a good deal because of a then unknown history. It had an aftermarket turbo kit and needed a bunch baseline maintenance. It was loud (both interior and aftermarket exhaust); had rattles and smelled like a 911 (mix of burned gas and hot oil); was ferociously fast (faster than the CTT, but my 997 has 450+ hp - - similar to a 996/997TT); and in summary was terrifyingly awesome. I've since tuned it up, fixed the rattles, and grown to trust it more.

The 997 (now tuned up) is much quieter than when I bought it, but is not really quiet like any other luxury sports car. There will be engine and road noise that come into the interior. I suppose different tires might help a bit, but even then, it will never be quiet like the Cayenne, and although I find it tolerable, I doubt I could convince the wife to take it on a long road trip. But the noise is part of the charm - - its a sports car. And it handles like a sports car - - very sharp and precise, but overall the ride quality is still surprisingly great. I drive it frequently.

Funny enough, however, even with the extra power of the turbo 997, it's debatable which of the cars is "faster" depending on what you need to do. The CTT is actually easier to drive on the freeway due to better/higher visibility, lower social profile (including quieter exhaust), and the engine/suspension being great for hauling @$$ on relatively straight roads (which is what we have around Houston). The 997 will get to 100mph quicker, but where it really shines is on more dynamic roads (with actual corners and bends). The CTT accelerates like a 737 at takeoff, a push that just keeps building. The 997 feels more brutal/raw when pushed - - more like being on an amusement ride or roller coaster, with sharper /higher G forces in all directions - - It wants to go to the track.

I love them both, but they're very different.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:06 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Hey MadFox, another guy here who used to fly around with a MAD boom sticking out my *** (retired S-3 guy). So you've got a 996 targa - but you never visit the 996 madness?
THANK YOU for being a Navy stud!

I bought a biz 7 years ago that has me 24.7. My Beta drove me to this forum and it was crazy but helpful when the dealers had no idea how to deal with a traditional car customer with warranty and stupid design flaw issues vs. being arrogant sports car snobs. Took years but Porsche was worth it to me so bought the **** and then my dream adult toy 911.

Seriously, the 996 didn't have the head issue and I have had ZERO other issues. So afterafter seeing the mayhem of that forum for a few months and a new biz, I just hang here although very rarely... looks like most of the old timers don't visit much. I have posted and not seen any recent posts from the guys and gals from 2003-2006 when problems were a daily occurance and this forum was printed and handed to the service dept. to learn the fix to the issue of the day.

Was just in P'cola for a funeral and brought chills with all the T39s and the Blue Angels in the pattern above Barrancas National Cemetary. Hand Salute!!
Old 07-21-2016, 11:41 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,190 Likes on 3,947 Posts

I have a supercharged 997.1 C2S, a normal 997.1 C2S (wife's DD), and in March added an '09 CTTS. The power and handling of the Cayenne with PDCC is very impressive. It's fast, comfortable, rides and drives great, and why we bought it for our family trip car.

The 997 is a significantly better car than the 996 with respect to both interior material quality, fit & finish, and suspension development. What I'd recommend you find is an '06-'08 C2S with the PSE exhaust. That exhaust will let you make the car quiet when you want it to be or sportier/louder sounding at the touch of a button. The S also has the larger 3.8L motor with more torque and for a normally aspirated engine is excellent - very smooth, high revving, exactly what's sports car should feel like. Also, find one with the full leather option - leather door panels and dash make for a totally different cabin experience than a car without full leather. The S also has PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management) which from the factory let's you soften or stiffen the suspension at the press of a button, but without this option, the stock suspension is between those two modes. PASM let's you go both softer and firmer than the setup in a non PASM car. Also, once you have PASM, TPC racing makes an electronic module that replaces the factory controller and let's you customize the stiffness of the suspension based on g-forces. I have a full racing suspension in my RUF 997 without any rubber bits left, coilovers, etc and my street setup with the TPC box leaves the shocks full soft from 0 to .4 g then progressively stiffens them from there. The ride is actually more compliant than my wife's 997 in PASM normal mode. What I'm getting at is if you drive a 997 and like the power delivery and the way the car feels, but wish the ride was a little softer, you can further make the ride more to your liking for about $1,200 and the TPC module works with the stock PASM setup and some aftermarket coilover setups as well (Bilstein).

A na 997 will not accelerate like your Cayenne turbo, it's just a different experience and one you either like/want or don't. My wife DDs hers 15,000 miles/year and loves it, and she came out of an Infiniti QX56 prior. Loves the smaller, more nimble size and better mileage.

Quick Reply: Opinions requested from 911 AND Cayenne owners