Sponsored by:

Recent 1700 mile roadtrip and a little rambling

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 01:41 AM
RT_955TT_KY
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Recent 1700 mile roadtrip and a little rambling

There's probably not too many 13 yo cars that I would have 100% confidence in making a 1700 mile road trip over the course of a few days. A couple of weeks ago I took off from the Bluegrass State for a current project up in MSP. I drove straight thru up and back with a couple of work days between. Other than clearing a benign CEL it was a very uneventful journey that took me thru KY, IN, IL, WI, and finally MN with just a few stops for fuel - for me and the Cayenne. I topped off the oil prior to departure and again 1/2 way home on the return. I've owned a lot of cars and can honestly say this 955TT was by far the most comfortable. With an easy right foot I was able to see actual MPG in the 15's which beats the hell out of my 7-8mpg in town. Plenty of power to break away from the pack and rely on my Passport and Waze seeing some pretty decent speeds thru most of WI. I never would do it , but I'm quite comfortable in saying that burst over 125+ probably would have been just as comfortable and rock solid as 75mph. Name another 13 you car that can give you the same bang for the buck!! The recently added new rubber only added to the pleasure and confidence thru the overnight journey. I wish I had taken more pics, but pretty proud of this one... Really cool sky, parked on top level overlooking the new US Bank stadium with a cool sky background as a bonus. Not too shabby for a 135k mile vehicle.

Enjoyed the trip so much I may forego another commercial flight next week and do it again. Any one up in MSP interested in a quick meet/intro? I'll be in town for a few days and can find a free evening I'm sure.

The trip did finally convince me to update my woefully inadequate PCM 2.0 with a TBD setup before the next journey.

Just wanted to share my experience. Couldn't have done this trip without countless tips and tutorials found here from this awesome group of enthusiasts.

RT from Horse Country in KY
Old 10-04-2016, 02:20 AM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Very cool! Would love to do a trip like that soon.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:26 AM
thescratt
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for sharing.

I could not agree more.. Prior to my current Cayenne I had a 2004 CTT for three years.

When we eventually sold it I reflected on those three years of ownership and came to the same conclusion you did. It was not that expensive to keep running at all. I did some DIY fixes (props to rennlist folks there), and paid an Indie for a couple of other ones / services. I think averaged out over each year the running costs for the car was about $1000 a year all in.

We live in Iceland. So not the best climate for a car. And this one lived outside winter and summer. We go North for the winter often (snow sports), which is a 6 hour drive in good weather. Often times this was an 8 - 10 hour drive in blizzards in places. Like white out blizzard conditions and snow up to the height of the car either side of the road in the mountains.

I can not think of another car with that kind of performance, and of that age, that I would trust to take me and my family through the arctic.. I drove it on all weather tyres, never had a really scary moment. Most people use studded tyres here in winter.

I can think of one or two times where I believe the car definitely saved us from a nasty off on tricky ice patches. tbh those times were me pushing the envelope a bit on twisty, icy mountain roads.

Re. Updating the PCM, I put a Dension Gateway 500 in mine. Gave us unlimited music, handsfree phone calls, and enabled us to keep the CD changer connected also. Would recommend if you want to stay with original HW in the car.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:03 AM
mjj0000
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is that the U of M death star in the background (alumni building)?
Old 10-04-2016, 09:25 AM
RT_955TT_KY
Instructor

US Bank stadium. I should've stepped to the left a little more, but it was raining......
Old 10-04-2016, 11:40 AM
KarlJC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RT_955TT_KY
There's probably not too many 13 yo cars that I would have 100% confidence in making a 1700 mile road trip over the course of a few days. ............ Name another 13 you car that can give you the same bang for the buck!!
A 2004-2009 Jaguar XJ, this is a sweet spot years of these cars. Most all issues where resolved, they still had the classic body style, not as roomy as the Cayenne but they do have a a better ride. Also not to many gizmos to go wrong and a light weight alloy body so the car has good power and gets 30+ MPG.

Nice road trip by the way !
Old 10-04-2016, 12:35 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Took our CTT out for a long weekend ride of only about 400 miles. But it still amazes me by how well it handles mountain roads and the huge rush of power when I floor it. Also surprising was how quiet it is when not accelerating. At 90 MPH it was still comfortable in the cabin, in my 996 at 90 MPH you know you're going pretty quick.

That is both a good and a bad thing
Old 10-04-2016, 12:54 PM
pbarch1
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Did a similar Road trip from So Cal to Sedona AZ 1000 miles in 3 days, The Cayenne was flawless, such a great road car.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:11 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Howdy. I just picked up a 2004 TT and still have my Original Base 2006.

I have done about 4 500 mile trips between Dallas/San Antonio/Austin/Houston.

I cover Texas and Oklahoma (TOLA) for work. Interested to find out if you had a spare. I'm only worried about my Louisiana and Oklahoma or far west Texas Trips of I get a flat...

Might bring a literal extra tire.... What do you do for you spare?

I have the turbo S staggered wheel's from previous owner, want to get some 18s for the road.

​​​​​
Old 10-05-2016, 09:22 AM
RT_955TT_KY
Instructor

Originally Posted by cordsig79
Howdy. I just picked up a 2004 TT and still have my Original Base 2006.

I have done about 4 500 mile trips between Dallas/San Antonio/Austin/Houston.

I cover Texas and Oklahoma (TOLA) for work. Interested to find out if you had a spare. I'm only worried about my Louisiana and Oklahoma or far west Texas Trips of I get a flat...

Might bring a literal extra tire.... What do you do for you spare?

I have the turbo S staggered wheel's from previous owner, want to get some 18s for the road.

​​​​​
I did not and do not run with a spare. I did just have new tires installed, but would've made the drive as long as my tires were still decent enough for regular use. Hindsight, I may throw in a plug kit and use with the on board inflator for the next trip if needed.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:11 AM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 548 Likes on 346 Posts

I carry a plug kit and a couple of big cans of tire sealant. On topic I drive an 1100 mile round trip regularly. Never think twice. The car is a machine!
Old 10-05-2016, 11:00 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnrat
I carry a plug kit and a couple of big cans of tire sealant. On topic I drive an 1100 mile round trip regularly. Never think twice. The car is a machine!
Ordered plug kit, definitely leaving the base at home for hunting/camping rig.

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2016, 07:48 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

That's a good looking car you have, there! Road trips are definitely fun and comfortable in these things... especially in the twisties!

Old 10-05-2016, 09:42 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

I did an 8,000 mile trip NJ to CA to NJ in my 2006 back a few years ago. Next month planning on the same drive with the 2011 CTT. That will make the ummm.. 7th time doing that. Only once on my motorcycle, but I'd love to do that trip over again, might have to next year before I'm too old to climb on it.

Did it once in SWMBO's Lexus - and it was dangerous since that car is SO boring to drive I kept fighting to stay awake.. never had that problem with the Porsche or motorcycle (or the BMW cars I've done it in.)
Old 10-06-2016, 04:41 PM
tkrtape12
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We did just North of Chicago to DFW a couple times once during winter and once spring,just a solid ride, great through the elevation changes. We would drive to Wisc. and Mich. Going to do DFW to San Antonio this weekend.
Thanks for the share should be a Road Trip thread created with pics and tips

Quick Reply: Recent 1700 mile roadtrip and a little rambling