Big Dogs in Cayennes'

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 08:35 PM
Just_Dirty
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Dogs in Cayennes'

Hello,

im currently in the market for a 955 TT but I'm a little concerned it won't be large enough to comfortable fit my 2 large dogs (90lb GSD & 110lb Alaskan Malamute)and some luggage. Our current family vehicle is an Escalade ESV Platinum, we usually fold the second row down and stick the dog beds in there and use everything past the second row as luggage. I would probably do something similar and wanted to see what kind of configurations people have for comfortably transporting their large dogs in the Cayenne. Look forward to seeing everyone's responses.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:50 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

Your concern is correct. The Cayenne is not nearly as roomy as the Escalade. We need to pack very efficiently with 2 kids and a 20 lb poodle mix.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:21 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

We'd put a Newfie and Springer Spaniel in the back of our 958, with the seats up. They were fine. For longer trips, we'd fold one of the seats down sometimes... depending on how much people stuff we were also hauling.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:27 AM
Boostaddiction
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We bought our Cayenne in part to transport our 100 lb Lab. He is very happy in the trunk area, but when he travels with us, it means all our luggage rides in the back seat.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:29 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We comfortably carry our 95lb german shepherd in the back of a Toyota 4runner. My wife had a Macan S she gave up because of the dog. Plus I believe the 4runner is the last vehicle where the rear glass slides down, dogs love it.

I have a Cayenne turbo. Our dog has been in it but the standing height just isn't there for him. I think Cayenne would not be the favorite of your bigger dogs, particularly two of them. The Cayenne is great at a lot of things, but not that. Your dogs will essentially fill the cargo area and you would only have room for luggage if you fold down the rear seats.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:49 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I am going to agree with the others. The difference between a cayenne and an escalade for cargo is about the same as the step between a 911 and a cayenne! Two large dogs and suitcases is going to be TIGHT because folding the seats forward just doesn't produce that much more room.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:10 AM
PhilT3 (PT3)
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Boostaddiction
We bought our Cayenne in part to transport our 100 lb Lab. He is very happy in the trunk area, but when he travels with us, it means all our luggage rides in the back seat.
Why not put your luggage in the back and the pup in the back seat???

Seriously though, use a backseat pet hammock, door protectors, headrest protectors. Even pet seat belts (though I don't use them to keep my pups calm) All of these items are available on Amazon. I don't have data, but I HAVE to imagine the backseat is FAR safer in a crash as it's the passenger compartment with airbags.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:47 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,190 Likes on 3,947 Posts

You might need to look into crossbars and a top carrier in order to have enough space in a Cayenne

Old 12-01-2016, 08:31 AM
thescratt
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I am surprised by the answers here. Although I have no idea how big an Escalade is!

We live in Iceland, have a Siberian, which must travel in a crate for insurance reasons. And we often do 6 to 9 hour journeys in Arctic Conditions to the North from Reykjavik. We have a crate that is way too big for him. We bought it when he was a pup and got the size very wrong. It would take a Malamute easy.

We fold the back seats down and have him in the crate there facing forwards.
Our dog likes being up there also as he can watch where we are going...

There is enough space alongside him for another smallish crate, and space behind for cases galore. So I would have no fear of having two dogs with beds on the back seat area folded down in our Cayenne.

Malamute's are lovely btw. =)

How many bags do you need to carry? And how many people?
Old 12-01-2016, 10:48 AM
7 Summits
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from a XL Denali to the GTS. So I know first hand the size difference. Not even close to the same amount of room. Roof line is much lower on the Cayenne and the width of the opening is also significantly smaller. I have a beagle and he sits in the backseat on a couple of blankets. Even on long car rides, 8-16 hours, with lots of luggage sometimes I put the smaller seat down just for more room. I could not imagine 2 large dogs in a Cayenne for an extended period of time. Also, the rear seats don't fold all the way down, there is a slight incline angle. I removed the straps holding the seatback and was able to get a little more level by putting the folding upper seat below where it is supposed to latch into the seat bottom. The XL Denali was also much more comfortable on long trips with the huge wheel base compared to comfort mode and normal ride height in the Cayenne.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:58 AM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

It sounds like you are getting some answers for a 958. That's actually a smaller platform than the 955 that you are considering (a 957 is essentially the same).

The seats on a 955 fold nearly flat, and the back floor measures about 60" x 45" with the seats flat. I'm 5'10" and I can lay flat (diagonally) in the back. I sleep back there sometimes.
I can get the height and the floor dimensions with the seats up if you'd like.

I know how big the dogs you describe are (big) and I kind of doubt they'd both be comfortable in the back with the seats up. Unless they really like to cuddle. And you'd have minimal luggage space with them in back with the seats down (roof box makes sense for this).
Old 12-01-2016, 12:09 PM
7 Summits
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was referring to a 957. Like you said on long car trips I put the small seat down and my wife likes to take naps back there. I've never tried to lay down in the back because I am the dedicated driver. We used to have a queen blow up mattress for the back of the Denali XL. Talk about a road trip car aka the Land Yacht. +1 on the roof box, or even 2 boxes mounted side by side
Old 12-01-2016, 01:01 PM
Just_Dirty
Advanced

Moderator Please Delete this comment

Last edited by Just_Dirty; 12-01-2016 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Double Post
Old 12-01-2016, 01:03 PM
Just_Dirty
Advanced

Originally Posted by Petza914
You might need to look into crossbars and a top carrier in order to have enough space in a Cayenne

That is an absolutely gorgeous car! The roof top cargo will most likely be something we purchase if we get a Cayenne. My Girlfriend and I are pretty active people (Camping,Hiking, Road Racing, lots of road trips)
Old 12-01-2016, 01:13 PM
Just_Dirty
Advanced

Originally Posted by thescratt
I am surprised by the answers here. Although I have no idea how big an Escalade is!

We live in Iceland, have a Siberian, which must travel in a crate for insurance reasons. And we often do 6 to 9 hour journeys in Arctic Conditions to the North from Reykjavik. We have a crate that is way too big for him. We bought it when he was a pup and got the size very wrong. It would take a Malamute easy.

We fold the back seats down and have him in the crate there facing forwards.
Our dog likes being up there also as he can watch where we are going...

There is enough space alongside him for another smallish crate, and space behind for cases galore. So I would have no fear of having two dogs with beds on the back seat area folded down in our Cayenne.

Malamute's are lovely btw. =)

How many bags do you need to carry? And how many people?
An Escalade ESV is probably the largest SUV you can buy in America today lol. I can include a picture for reference on the size of the vehicle. For 2 people and 2 dogs it really is overkill.

Our usual route is about 250 mi each way. It's to our home town to see our family and friends, usually we have about 2-3 small bags (Think Carry on size) and its just my girlfriend, me, + 2 dogs.

Below is a picture of the my Escalade with my Race Car attached to it.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Big Dogs in Cayennes'