Ignition Fault etc.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 11:24 PM
kwdrus
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ignition Fault etc.

Hello all,

I believe my 2006 Cayenne S has fallen victim to the dreaded wet floor/Ignition Fault gremlin. Anyone know which wires in the harness are the most likely to be the problem? just a quick visual inspection hasn't yielded much. Unfortunately its parked on a street in Manhattan so working on it is less than ideal. I would just like to jump the whole wire(s) in question to get it to an spot where I can do a proper repair.

Thanks

K
Old 02-02-2017, 12:31 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by kwdrus
Hello all,

I believe my 2006 Cayenne S has fallen victim to the dreaded wet floor/Ignition Fault gremlin. Anyone know which wires in the harness are the most likely to be the problem? just a quick visual inspection hasn't yielded much. Unfortunately its parked on a street in Manhattan so working on it is less than ideal. I would just like to jump the whole wire(s) in question to get it to an spot where I can do a proper repair.

Thanks

K
If the car starts and runs, but won't shift out of park, you should be able to do the ignition bypass, the earlier cayennes are a little harder, google it. Hardest part is taking of the shifter, don't over stretch the spring on the shifter trigger, its a bugger to pull up and out.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...-flashing.html
Old 02-02-2017, 12:40 AM
kwdrus
Racer

Sorry, should have been clearer. It doesn't start. just all the warnings and locked in park.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:48 AM
RT_955TT_KY
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

You may be able to clear the fault long enough to get to a shop. Term 15 won't energize with this fault, however you can wake the CAN bus by holding brake pedal for 25 seconds to allow a Durametric or similar device read and clear the fault. Barring that, you can temporarily jump term15 relay under drivers seat to obtain power to shift into neutral. And of course there is the manual override of the brake/shifter interlock. Good luck.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:03 PM
touareg
Drifting

Sorry, should have been clearer. It doesn't start. just all the warnings and locked in park.
I had that problem too, trying multiple times, I got lucky and car came to life.

Maybe try pushing around the area, while it took a long time to finally come apart, you may be able to get enough of a connection to get the car to start up. While my car was running I was able to push around the bundle and get the dash to light up even more
Old 02-03-2017, 01:01 PM
kwdrus
Racer

Found the problem and temporarily fixed it. That has got to be the worst electrical system design i've ever seen. At least the car runs and sorted out all it's error codes. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:41 PM
touareg
Drifting

Found the problem and temporarily fixed it. That has got to be the worst electrical system design i've ever seen. At least the car runs and sorted out all it's error codes. Thanks.
What was your temporary fix and problem?
Old 02-04-2017, 08:17 PM
John Welch.
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why would you not tell anybody what the problem that you found was?

Without the solution, this thread becomes just another useless search result for the trash heap.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:32 AM
kwdrus
Racer

My apologies for not posting sooner. The spliced wires were corroded under the drivers side carpet. quick twist of the wires got the car running again so that I could move it to a better location to properly splice and seal them.

Quick Reply: Ignition Fault etc.