Sponsored by:

ICarScan X431 Tool Available again.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 06:32 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by wkearney99
More recent ones have, apparently, become more dependent on being programmed via the dealer/service PIWIS interfaces. Not just because of a money-grab, that's certainly part of it, but also because there's multiple modules that often have to be re-programmed together.
IMO it is very much a money grab... stopping DIY repairs (which has been a big push by many governments in Europe) and being able to force Indy mechanics and dealers to pay lots of money for software system license fees!

Even GM is jumping on this train. It reeks a lot of the KESSY module that fails in Audi/VW/Porsche vehicles that is designed with electromechanical relays soldered to the board AND there is no replacement part. Just like with the KESSY and steering column, the truck has to be towed to a dealer so the fuel pump flow control module can be programmed to match the VIN of the car!
Old 04-27-2017, 07:36 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

I managed to get that app to load on a Nexus 7 tablet, and my wife's Galaxy S6. I'm wondering if the app won't work on the latest update of android...
I'm running the latest version of Android AFAIK - Ver 7, installed about 2 weeks ago. The software I have works fine with it - but it appears the software they are now providing may be a slightly different version from what was available for the earlier units.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:43 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by nodoors
IMO it is very much a money grab... stopping DIY repairs (which has been a big push by many governments in Europe) and being able to force Indy mechanics and dealers to pay lots of money for software system license fees!

Even GM is jumping on this train. It reeks a lot of the KESSY module that fails in Audi/VW/Porsche vehicles that is designed with electromechanical relays soldered to the board AND there is no replacement part. Just like with the KESSY and steering column, the truck has to be towed to a dealer so the fuel pump flow control module can be programmed to match the VIN of the car!
Yeah, yeah, conspiracy theories abound. Somehow I'm not seeing the target demographic for Porsche being terribly put out by such things.

One potential upside to all the interleaving of modules and programming is a reduction in theft. Sure, you're always going to find markets where people will ignore the law. But when all of the parts are tied to a specific VIN and it takes a fairly sophisticated programming tool to integrate them you're not going to have the 'average' thief looking to steal the vehicles. Granted, one could argue the 'theft' still comes during 'legitimate' service needing said integration tools.

Would I like to have free access to programming tools that allowed total control over the configuration? Sure! But I can understand why the vendor, dealers and most customers wouldn't want that.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:41 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Yeah, yeah, conspiracy theories abound. Somehow I'm not seeing the target demographic for Porsche being terribly put out by such things.

One potential upside to all the interleaving of modules and programming is a reduction in theft. Sure, you're always going to find markets where people will ignore the law. But when all of the parts are tied to a specific VIN and it takes a fairly sophisticated programming tool to integrate them you're not going to have the 'average' thief looking to steal the vehicles. Granted, one could argue the 'theft' still comes during 'legitimate' service needing said integration tools.

Would I like to have free access to programming tools that allowed total control over the configuration? Sure! But I can understand why the vendor, dealers and most customers wouldn't want that.
No conspiracy and/or theory about what I typed. We will need to call this an official gentlemen's disagreement - at least for another 4 to 6 years until more cars come out of warranty. I have been an innovating engineer with enough projects in the auto industry to say confidently that software is going to change everything pretty quickly.

Reduction in theft?!

Are we still in 1964 and human beings are running an alligator clipped wire between the positive battery terminal and ignition coil lead, shorting the starter relay with a screwdriver to then drive the vehicle as their own car for a period of time until the plates expire? Nope.

ALL but a minuscule fraction of the cars stolen these days are:

1. Stolen via tow or flatbed
A. Parted out
B. Shipped overseas and sold for big dollars

2. Carjacked by thugs while the car is running and left behind within 24 hours

The electronic complexity is NOT there for your own security. Insert Franklin or Jefferson quote here.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:44 AM
pchak
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the pics. I couldn't find it, because I don't have that option on the menu. I only have the first four....
Old 04-28-2017, 07:52 AM
AO
Supercharged
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Does anyone know if this can reset the transmission calibration?
Old 04-28-2017, 03:19 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by AO
Does anyone know if this can reset the transmission calibration?
Mine offers this. I haven't done it yet.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:29 PM
9000RPM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Glad this tool is getting spread around. It is such a great little device.

To answer the previous post about the Easydiag, it's not the same as the iCarScan. Easydiag has no advanced bi-directional function, it's only for reading information and resetting codes.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:04 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I'm running the latest version of Android AFAIK - Ver 7, installed about 2 weeks ago. The software I have works fine with it - but it appears the software they are now providing may be a slightly different version from what was available for the earlier units.
Curiously, my wife's S6 had Android 6 on it and the app installed. I just update her phone to Android 7 and the installed app still works. I also removed it and it reinstalled without issue.

So it seems the app doesn't want to install on an S7. Anyone else here with an S7 willing to try installing it? If just as a test?
Old 05-01-2017, 12:05 AM
ewenc126
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi which software you guys choice?
Old 05-01-2017, 11:26 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Just got mine today, the icarscan software is what I plan to use. But we will see how I need to register this thing and get my app going.

Can I install the software on multiple devices, log in with my registration and use it?
Old 05-01-2017, 11:54 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by touareg
Can I install the software on multiple devices, log in with my registration and use it?
I did.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:48 PM
touareg
Drifting

thanks, maybe I have the wrong software, I put my serial number and code in and it pops up "unsold"

Anyone know what that means?
Old 05-01-2017, 03:38 PM
touareg
Drifting

Originally Posted by touareg
thanks, maybe I have the wrong software, I put my serial number and code in and it pops up "unsold"

Anyone know what that means?
Ok finally got a handle on this, the problem is this company seems sketchy because they use so many different names, and are doing a very poor job at brand management.

My adapter says Golo IOV. It is made by Launch says iCarScan on the box. x431 seems to be a ton of different hardware devices. ICarScan is older software. I registered with that and go the error above. Then I did the QA code posted earlier goes to a direct download on android app m diag. I was able to log in with my iCarScan account. If you install that, and it works, and you register and pick your stuff (was forced to) it kept crashing when trying to install modules.

Go to the app store, and search for m diag, and ez diag comes up. That is the correct and latest version.

I had to uninstall m-diag (otherwise it asked me to do an update which failed) and then I could install EZ diag (the notes say icon and name change, some languages addes)

So that is the correct app to use. I can now download all the modules I picked earlier.

I also question why it needs access to my GPS, Make Phone Calls, Contacts, Camera and Location.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:45 PM
touareg
Drifting

So pretty good tool, unfortunately for me, won't replace my other tools, but over all adds some visibility into other modules I can't scan.

This is on a 957

The two modules I wanted to code, it does not support, central electrics and instrument cluster(which do all the regional stuff, flashing, chimes, etc.) Everything else that Durametric or Vag-Com have access to, it can code so kudos to it there.

For my PSM issue I am tracking down, it does let me see quite a few more codes and also do actual value tests, so I can see I may have a communication problem from modules to the DME as well as the Instrument cluster. The PSM gave me a code saying it could not talk to the DME (where is that bloody thing anyway) Since neither one of those have codes, I assume I need to revisit wiring harness problems (still a failure somewhere)

Pretty cool tool otherwise!

So the only thing I still can not read in my car is the PCM.

Does anyone know how to contact support?

Quick Reply: ICarScan X431 Tool Available again.