Sponsored by:

PSM warning after cleaning throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 12:41 PM
gtharea
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSM warning after cleaning throttle body

Hi all, wondering if I could get some guidance with issues surrounding my 2004 Cayenne Turbo.

It was idling rough, with poor throttle response and would start and then die after a cold start. After researching these symptoms, I decided to clean the MAFs and throttle body. Taking them out was easy, and I cleaned the MAFs with CRC MAF cleaner, and the throttle body with a toothbrush and CRC Throttle Body/Air Intake cleaner. Followed this guide: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm

After putting everything back together, I went through the throttle relearn procedure (ignition on, engine off, don't touch pedal, wait 60s then off and start engine)

After turning on the engine it started on the first try (it usually didnt before) however, it was idling at 1000rpm. Also a "PSM warning" notification showed up on the dash. No CEL. I let it sit but it would still idle at 1000rpm. So after about 5 minutes I turned the engine off then back on, and it would idle at ~560rpm, like normal. Took the car for a drive, drove it gently until the temperatures got up, then I floored the pedal on a straight road.

Terrible response and engine speed would not go past 4000. After letting off the pedal, the car would go into "limp mode?", it would hover around 1000-1500 rpm and there was no response at all. Restarting the engine made it somewhat drivable, but flooring the pedal put it back into limp mode

I have an iCarSoft POR II scanner, and the codes it gave me are: P2126, P2138 and 1314. cleared the codes and they showed up again.

The first two are related to the throttle / pedal, and 1314 is a DME control module error. I had this error before, and I was able to fix it by unplugging the DME and plugging it back in. Tried this again, but error still showed up. But during the cleaning procedures I didn't do anything to the DME...

So my question is, could the throttle codes and poor performance be related to issues with the DME? The battery is new, less than 1 month old. The battery was connected when I disconnected and reconnected the throttle and MAF cables.

Also, the PORII has a "Data streams" function, and I was able to look at the throttle angle. When idling, it would show an angle between 6 and 7, and with the floored pedal the highest it got to was around 26 something. Did I damage the throttle body while cleaning it? I pushed the valve gently while cleaning it, I read that was OK. But no unnecessary force.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:06 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

I would check your connection to the throttle body again.

When you cleaned it, do you force the butterfly valve in anyway open? If so you may have damaged something.

With your scan tool, you should be able to actuate the throttle valve and make sure it moves freely and in range.

If the PSM can not talk to the throttle body it will throw that error (remember the PSM can apply brakes, talk with the throttle, etc)

Can you read the PSM/ABS module? 1314 is a communication error on the canbus.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:32 PM
Ex968racer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What Touareg says. I spent hours one time trouble shooting an error after replacing my crankcase valve on my BMW only to find I didn't seat one of 6 electrical connectors all the way.

I haven't seen that procedure from Pelican but I've seen it on other procedures that warn you about moving the butterfly valve. Good luck.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:38 PM
gtharea
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by touareg
I would check your connection to the throttle body again.

When you cleaned it, do you force the butterfly valve in anyway open? If so you may have damaged something.

With your scan tool, you should be able to actuate the throttle valve and make sure it moves freely and in range.

If the PSM can not talk to the throttle body it will throw that error (remember the PSM can apply brakes, talk with the throttle, etc)

Can you read the PSM/ABS module? 1314 is a communication error on the canbus.
When cleaning, I forced the valve open, yes. I'm not sure that my scan tool can do what you said, I don't see those functions.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:56 PM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Check for air leaks at the connection points you've had apart for the cleaning. An oring out of place or a small vacuum line not connected can cause the symptoms you describe.

If it's not an air leak, then it sounds like the throttle sensor is going bad.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:04 AM
dpatel710
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As jagman1 said, checking for air leaks will also help. When I cleaned my throttle body, I did not tighten the rubber boots enough and blew them off when going for a test drive. Limp mode/psm came on afterwards.
Old 01-07-2023, 11:35 PM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Bringing this thread back to life. Doing some deep maintenance work on a 2006 Turbo S - water pump, idle pulleys, drive belt, ETC. Also pulled the intake to fix one of the broken purge lines that runs to the back of the motor. Anyway the throttle body was very dirty so of course I decided to clean it. Used carburetor cleaner and I may have forced the flap open when cleaning it. Anyway, when I started the car, it barely runs. It's getting plenty of fuel but shakes and sounds like the cylinders are banging - I check and the fuel system is fully pressurized. I am thinking it is not getting any (or enough) air. Is there any way to check to see if the throttle body is functioning properly. If I did break it, good news - aftermarket throttle bodies are not too expensive...
Old 01-08-2023, 11:21 AM
theprf
Drifting

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,047 Posts

On most E-gas cars the scan tool of your choice can read throttle valve position, so I assume durametric or vag-com/vcds can do it.
With the scan tool hooked up, key on, engine off, press the gas pedal and the throttle valve should follow it.

You're sure you connected all the fuel injectors and coil packs up correctly?
Old 01-08-2023, 07:53 PM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

Yes, I checked - all fuel injectors seated and all electrical connections are connected. I ran a diagnostic using my iCarSoft POR III - no codes related to the motor.
I am thinking Throttle body. A new one is not too expensive so I am off shopping now!
Old 01-10-2023, 05:28 PM
Bbbb Bbbb
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any error codes? You can try this:

Old 01-15-2023, 03:20 PM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

So I bought and installed a new Throttle Body (I dropped the first one during cleaning so I figured it could have been that). But with a new throttle body, it runs even worse. Did the Throttle body adjustment turning it one, waiting a minute while it calibrates (it does). I cannot tell if it is getting enough fuel or air. There is pressure on both sides of the fuel rail. Must admit, running out of ideas. Anyone have any ideas or questions that will help identify the issue? Now it runs very rough, sounds like it is backfiring, if it does idle its very low RPM and when I press the throttle, nothing happens it, stays at that low idle no matter how much I press the throttle.

Also it is not throwing any codes, but may not be able to run long enough to generate them.

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited by rob76turbo; 01-15-2023 at 03:26 PM. Reason: fix typo
Old 01-25-2023, 12:37 PM
phatz
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by rob76turbo
Anyone have any ideas
Perhaps create a new post so folks notice

Quick Reply: PSM warning after cleaning throttle body