Sponsored By:

New Michelin Latitude Tour HP vs OEM Goodyears

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 10:13 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts
Default New Michelin Latitude Tour HP vs OEM Goodyears

It's new tire time on the CD. We're punching through 28,000 miles. All wearing evenly, but getting close to the wear bars. Always had a good experience with Michelins and I'm wondering if anyone has replaced their OEM Goodyears with Michelins?
Old 09-22-2017, 05:31 AM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Several people here have posted photos of Michelin Latitude tires on their Cayennes with chunks of rubber missing randomly from the tread. I don't believe anyone has reported that problem with any other tire... and more than 1 person here posted photos of their "chunked" treads on the M.L. tires.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:24 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I had a set of the GY LS2 that had come on my 2012 Touareg, 275 45 20 and they were ok tires. Had they not been the most expensive 20" that money could buy, I would have considered a new set. They worked well, even when they had 20,000 miles, in the deep snow and on any snow, and in the wet. I never had a problem other than by 22,000 or so miles, they were worn out.

I had then got a set of the same sized Continental Extreme Contact DWS-not the 06 updated version. They were also good tires but again, they only lasted about 26,000 miles.

Last night I just put the 20" wheels laced with Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus'. They have about 8,000 miles on them before I took them off the 2012 Touareg that VW bought back. We got my wife a set of the same tires for her 2015 as I liked them and the price for them is pretty good and not Michelin-priced and I'm a huge fan of Miichelin's.

The 19" Design II wheels I just took off had almost 33,000 miles on the Latitude Tour HP's. They look like they had at least 10,000 miles left on them and were really good tires in all conditions. My wife had a set on her 2006 Rav4 and the lasted a long time and did well in all the winters she had that truck.

There is now the Premier LTX and with a price of $244 per tire on Tire Rack, the price is right in line with everything else and they promise to be a great tire. I'll be considering them when these Verde's are all used up though it will be a while. The Verde Plus' are at $219.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:05 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had been using Michelin Latitude Sports on all of my Cayennes since 2010 without a single issue. Quiet, comfortable and very grippy. Michelin replaced these with Latitude Sports 3 which are a much noisier tyre which i didn't enjoy very much. I've earlier had bad experiences with Pirelli P Zeros but have gone back to them following my dissatisfaction with the new Michelins. This current set of P Zeros are as good as anything I've driven a Cayenne on.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:17 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by mcbit
Had been using Michelin Latitude Sports on all of my Cayennes since 2010 without a single issue. Quiet, comfortable and very grippy.

Agree. I've had various versions of Michelin Latitudes on my '08 CTT (21" and 18" sets), and now on my '11 CTT (21" and 19" sets). Very happy with them all...relatively quiet, strong grip, good lateral response, decent wear characteristics. Note these were/are all 'N' spec versions.

As for Goodyear, in my experience over many years, I think Goodyear makes a decent ultra high performance tire like the Supercar variants I've had on my Z06s, and the newer versions out now on vehicles like the new 2018 ZL1 Camaros. But their many other offerings for passenger cars, SUVs, etc....hmm, they're okay/average for the most part (and actually a few have proven to be pretty awful).

I guess like any tire brand, there's good and not so good versions, but overall between the two brands mentioned here my vote would generally go for Michelin.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:44 AM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 295 Posts

FWIW - I have 21s on my GTS and the selection is even smaller and more expensive. My current set is Yokohama Advan Sport V105s and they have been awesome, but the rears are ready to be replaced at 18k miles while the fronts have 6/32 left. They are expensive so I'm thinking about changing it up (or would you just replace the rears and keep the fronts for now?)

I am debating between the Latitude Sports and the Conti Extreme DWS, which I used 3 consecutive times on my 750 and they were fantastic and lasted a long time. They were also very smooth and quiet and wore very evenly, and they have a 50k mileage warranty. My Yokos have zero tread warranty.

I had Pirellis on my 996TT and after a few thousand miles they were so loud it was unbearable. The Scorpion Verdes on my Macan loaner are 19s and they are super smooth and quiet but it's almost brand new.

Reading my reply back to myself I realize it probably doesn't help at all.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:46 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

I have about 34K miles on my 19 inch Michelin Latitude Tour HPs. They are probably about half way gone, no issues with them.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:14 PM
booch
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Not that they are on your list, but I recently replaced my OEM Goodyears with a set of Hankooks, the Ventus ST RH06. I've put about 1k miles on them so far, and I have been happy with them. They ride well, don't make much noise, and have handled well in the wet and dry. Installed price was about $745 for all 4, which was also great. Running the 275/45 20 on my '14 GTS. The tread looks pretty aggressive, for whatever that is worth (not much), but so far, so good. They were half the price of some of the other options out there, so I decided to take a shot as I put quite a few miles on my cars.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:13 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts
Smile

Thanks very much for all the comments (even Leftlane) . Have you folks used the local tire shop chain for your tire purchase? How about for the 4 wheel alignment? Those Hankooks sound pretty good for $745.
Booch- I see you are in CT, who did the install for you?
Old 09-23-2017, 11:20 PM
booch
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I went to Modern Tire in Rocky Hill. They've done a couple things on my race car, and have been good to deal with each time.

Quick Reply: New Michelin Latitude Tour HP vs OEM Goodyears