Sponsored By:

Cracked gauge cluster lens

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 03:01 AM
Vino
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cracked gauge cluster lens

Very quick question, looking at a 2011 CTT and during the test drive I saw the right gauge cluster lens was cracked. I looked through the Porsche parts catalog and couldn’t find the front cluster housing that included the lens as a separate piece? It looks like you can only buy the cluster in one piece for like $4K+, can these things be refurbished?
Let me know if this is something that can be fixed within reason, thanks!
Old 08-21-2018, 11:13 AM
jtakhtalian
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

You're correct about the cluster and lens cover being sold as a single unit. And you're also correct on the price. However, there are a ton of used clusters on eBay from vehicles being parted out. Even though each cluster is programmed specifically to a car's vin depending on options ordered for the build, I'm nearly 100% sure the cluster housing and lens covers are identical. You have to remove the cluster in order to release the lens tabs. Not a super difficult job but you'll certainly want to use some plastic trim removal tools in order to avoid damaging the dash. Realistically, unless you find a killer deal on an inoperable cluster, this should set to back a few hundred dollars. I'd try to negotiate at least a $500 price reduction if you buy the CD. Good luck.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:53 AM
Vino
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the quick reply!
Good to know that this can actually be done getting a used cluster versus buying an entirely new gauge cluster and then documenting a speedo change. The car is having a PPI done today so I will bring this up with them and see what they would charge to replace that front lens facia.
Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Cracked gauge cluster lens