Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Cayenne to the Arctic Ocean. Some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 06:21 PM
73datsun
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne to the Arctic Ocean. Some questions.

Hi. First post.

Looking to take a 3-4week trip next summer and head to the Arctic Ocean. I've been up the Dempster to the Arctic Circle before (on motorcycle), but now there's a road to Tuktoyaktuk and access to the Arctic Ocean. I'd planned to do a ZR2, F150 or new Ranger. But in reality, an SUV would be better for every other day of my life and I won't really have a hard time finding a CPO or used 2015+ Cayenne for the same price. Plus, I'd probably just give it to my wife after the trip and drive her GTI.

I have read the OTIS thread here and regularly read and follow threads on Expedition Portal, these are questions I couldn't find answers and opinions on.

1. S-EHYBRID OR DIESEL?
Had a 2015 T3 Touareg VR6. Nice build. Great ride. Towed great. Looked mean on some Duratracs. Could not get out of it's own way, so incredibly slow and with no fuel economy upside. I like the Diesel for the obvious fuel economy. Would be great on a 8kmi trip. However, the S-Ehybrid is pretty sweet. I'd lose the efficiency on that trip (as I wouldn't regularly have access to plug it in. But I'm guessing it would be a better day to day vehicle. Any thoughts? Horror stories?

Not interested in the base model. Love the S and Turbo. But I'd much prefer the fuel economy of the Diesel or S-EHybrid.

2. DEFINITIVE LIST OF TIRE SIZES?
Striking out on searching for tire sizes. I really don't need a crazy lift or anything. Just a solid tire with a stiff sidewall. Given a significant portion will be on gravel or gravel slime and major frost heaves, I'd like something better than the standard A/S or large diameter/small sidewall. I'm guessing the suggestion will be to run 18's. Any sizes that are a bit taller than OEM, but don't require trimming or fender rolling?

3. PASM AIR or STEEL?
Is PASM AIR worth seeking out? I'm not finding many Diesels with this option. On cursory look, it appears that the S-EHYBRIDs are easier to find with this option. I'm not looking to go rock crawling. But do appreciate ability to increase ride height. I bird hunt so the ability to go into the fields safely is nice. Although, I had no issue with our stock ride height Touareg once I put the slightly taller Duratracs on it.

4. ROOF RACK OPTIONS?
I'd greatly prefer a vehicle has the OEM rails. Given I plan to add a Rooftop Tent for the trip to the Arctic, the ability to carry more weight on OEM vs Thule or Yak is greatly appreciated. That being said, there appears to be a Front Runner rack that can be installed on non rail vehicles. But I can't find much info on how it actually installs, and if it really is installed with no drilling, etc, why is it nearly impossible to add OEM rails to a non OEM equipped vehicle?

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...-ii-r-kit.html

5. ANY MUST HAVE OPTIONS/PACKAGES?
Really the only thing that I need would be one equipped with the OEM tow hitch. Had an aftermarket one added to the Touareg and wasn't very pleased with the integration or wiring.

6. ANY OTHER THOUGHTS/SUGGESTIONS?

Thanks, sorry for long post.

Last edited by 73datsun; 10-28-2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:13 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

#1 - Probably diesel. The Hybrid brings a level of complexity to any required repairs - the complexity may not be addressable in some really out of the way locations. I'd actually go with turbo/gas myself - if there are adequate fuel stations that range isn't a big issue.
#2 - no idea. Never researched this. Depending on the vehicle - 18" may not fit over the brakes. 19" will. So that's where I'd start looking.
#3 - PASM air. The ability to raise it to off-road level seems could be quite useful.
#4 - If that rack works. The photo of it is on a 955/957 vehicle - where the factory rails or racks could be added to the existing roof rail system. Dunno so much on a 958 - probably be worth contacting them and confirming it.
#5 - Tow hitch for sure. Perhaps the Webasto heater (not actually "available" in the US builds, but bet it can be added) for cold-weather use.
#6 - Spare tire mount for a full-size spare on the back hatch. And then a tire and rim.

Might not be as good entirely as a purpose-built vehicle (simpler, rugged design) - but as Otis can tell you - it certainly can be put to this use successfully. And you can use it as a normal vehicle comfortably when it's not doing extreme duty.

Interesting site: http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/2018...arctic-village
Old 10-28-2018, 08:31 PM
73datsun
3rd Gear

Thanks! Sent a note to Front Runner to get specifics on fitment. I'll update once I learn more.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:35 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

That looks like it attaches to the tracks on a 957. I doubt that Front Runner will have something that is permanent for a non roof railed 958.

I did the road to Tuktoyatuk a long time ago, the ice road that is. I didn't know they made a permanent road to the town now? When are you doing it? In winter it gets stupid cold as in, -40 to -70F . Dempster HWY is beautiful just north of Dawson. Hit up Dawson if you can, cool mining town. ​​​​

On to your list:

1. Diesel, good gas mileage as the gas stations are a bit limited up there.
2. I believe 18s fit on the Diesel, and to be honest, just an extra spare or two will be fine, no need for super complex tires. A/Ts are fine, M/Ts are not necessary for the most part on Dempster. Punctures are possible but just be careful of the truckers.
3. PASM if you can find one.
4. Look back at my opening statement, just not sure that can be done. find one with the rails so you can attached the universal Front Runner rack.
5. Not sure as I'm not as well vested on Cayennes as the rest here are, I'm still looking for my first one.
6. Spare tire for sure, maybe two if you have room. Take extra water (5-10 gallons worth) and maybe grab an extra jerry can for fuel. Check out expeditionportal.com for what you may need that is necessary. However, do not overpack as you could be lacking the space.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:51 PM
73datsun
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by DAVfoto

I did the road to Tuktoyatuk a long time ago, the ice road that is. I didn't know they made a permanent road to the town now? When are you doing it? In winter it gets stupid cold as in, -40 to -70F . Dempster HWY is beautiful just north of Dawson. Hit up Dawson if you can, cool mining town. ​​​​

Yeah, I rode up the Dempster in July of 2012. So hit up all those cool towns along the way (e.g. Dawson City). Lots of fun. Plan is to do it next July.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:05 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a buddy who drove up the ice road in a Honda Odyssey in the summer. He said two full size spares are a requirement.

Tire Rack would be my first call for tires. Great selection and price and they usually know what is up for applications and closeouts. Nobody better.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:35 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

In that type of environment gas or diesel all day, the availability/ease of finding fuel would be my primary factor. E-hybrid does not have the reliability for that type of journey. I wouldn't even consider it. PASM would nice for the added ground clearance but again I would want the ultimate in reliability so I would choose steel springs myself.

Quick Reply: Cayenne to the Arctic Ocean. Some questions.