Rennlist Member

Received 2,765 Likes on 1,653 Posts

https://workshop-manuals.com/volkswa...es/page_12652/
Old 01-10-2019, 12:49 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jtakhtalian
Hey I'm also from Glendale, CA. You might want to try visiting HD Motorwerks on San Fernando Rd. and see what they'll charge to get the job done. It's a very small shop with two guys working (owner and his assistant) but they specialize in Porsche vehicles. The owner is factory trained and used to work for Rusnak in Pasadena for many years before going to House Automotive to help stand that shop up before he left and opened his own place a few years back. He's done some basic maintenance for me and my neighbor. He's extremely honest (to his own detriment sometimes) and very accommodating. You'll often times pass by his place at 10:00 pm and he's still wrenching away. Can't hurt to see what he says.
Just got off the phone with Ernesto. He can't take the car till Jan 21st. That's a ways away. He also doesn't have the nitrogen for the fill and would have to buy the entire setup, which he said he would do. I think I'll use hime for my vacumm pump replacement on the 21st. In the meantime,I'm forging forward with the DIY. Runny to Long Beach to purchase the nitrogen tank.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:26 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

What I did- with no bottle or anything- for two of my bilsteins I installed was once the new shock (with no charge) was installed, i put the wheel back on but did not release the floor jack. I had the rolling jack on the corner of the strut I had just replaced and got the car level, so that the wheel of the "new" strut was on the ground and the body was in about the normal position, but that the weight of the car was on the jack. I started the car and let it do its thing, make adjustments, run the compressor, whatever. Then I would loosen the jack just a bit so that the "new" corner would be lower, and wait for the compressor to kick on and raise it back up. I did this over and over until the jack eventually wasn't holding the car, and the air in the strut was.

This way you can get the system to pump the strut up (with air, since it'll need to draw in atmospheric air) without overloading the compressor or creasing the bag.

I did take it straight to the dealer for a "correct" nitrogen fill after.

If you have icarscan launch tool you can use the "fill single strut" feature I guess. I just got the tool (it's a nightmare to figure out) but haven't done anything with it yet.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:35 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

^^^Boom, that is the best piece of advice Ive seen so far. I was thinking it would be able to fill the bladder and then Id let the compressor cool down while I installed the opposite side.

I just got off the phone with the nitrogen store and for the bottle, regulator and nitrogen, it's a staggering $450.00. I was going to he'd down and pick it up but may do the install first and see what the compressor can do.

Thanks for that info
Old 01-10-2019, 05:03 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
^^^Boom, that is the best piece of advice Ive seen so far. I was thinking it would be able to fill the bladder and then Id let the compressor cool down while I installed the opposite side.

I just got off the phone with the nitrogen store and for the bottle, regulator and nitrogen, it's a staggering $450.00. I was going to he'd down and pick it up but may do the install first and see what the compressor can do.

Thanks for that info
You might give some thought to picking up a portable air reservoir (tank with a hose/regulator attached) - then find someplace like Costco who uses nitrogen to fill tires. Fill the tank once with their nitrogen, then bleed it off, then fill it again - should be pretty much all nitrogen by then. I imagine one of those tanks at 100PSI would hold enough to inflate two corners of the Cayenne.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:31 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deilenberger
You might give some thought to picking up a portable air reservoir (tank with a hose/regulator attached) - then find someplace like Costco who uses nitrogen to fill tires. Fill the tank once with their nitrogen, then bleed it off, then fill it again - should be pretty much all nitrogen by then. I imagine one of those tanks at 100PSI would hold enough to inflate two corners of the Cayenne.
I think the nitrogen for tires is not as pure as the nitrogen that is needed for the air suspension. I've been doing some research and it appears that nitrogen comes in all flavors.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:06 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
I think the nitrogen for tires is not as pure as the nitrogen that is needed for the air suspension. I've been doing some research and it appears that nitrogen comes in all flavors.
That surprises me a bit since it's a waste gas basically. The only difference between it and the air we breathe should be no oxygen in the nitrogen. It's waste left over when pure oxygen is refined. I'd expect the big tire shops are using the same sort of nitrogen gas cylinders that Porsche uses to charge the suspension. But - live and learn I guess..
Old 01-11-2019, 01:55 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Hey Don, I actually don't know if there is a difference but when I called yesterday, and asked for nitrogen hey said hey have it and then I asked if it was ultra pure grade 5 and she said they have that also.
It's $450 for the tank and I may go buy it today.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:25 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

I would think if you got a bottle like what would be used on a welder it would be cheaper than $450 (although some of that may be the cost of the bottle and may be refundable) and be suitable for the suspension. When you get into nitrogen used in medical equipment I could see it being extortionately expensive. For suspension I would think the biggest thing would be making sure it is dry.

You should clarify if that cost is purchasing a cylinder versus purchasing nitrogen and renting the cylinder.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:25 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
I would think if you got a bottle like what would be used on a welder it would be cheaper than $450 (although some of that may be the cost of the bottle and may be refundable) and be suitable for the suspension. When you get into nitrogen used in medical equipment I could see it being extortionately expensive. For suspension I would think the biggest thing would be making sure it is dry.

You should clarify if that cost is purchasing a cylinder versus purchasing nitrogen and renting the cylinder.
bottle = $150. It’s a brand new bottle with that black protective handle. I use the same types of bottles for co2 at work.

Regulator is $175. I may look for a cheaper one but still
left it on the order as time is money and I do t want to be traveling all around town looking for a nice regulator.

Nitrogen grade 5 is $66.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:31 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Ok,purchased the nitrogen tank and regulator today. Jut have to get the hoses and all fitting and i'm ready to tear into her.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:47 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Bumping my own thread as it looks like I' have gathered all the parts necessary for the job.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:09 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Bilstein air shock has top mount bolts in a different place than the OEM. They don't fit in the shock tower. Wondering if i can twist the air shock?

Not answering pm's today as i'm knees deep into this project. Apologies.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:55 AM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Arnott Air Kis for 958

I must commend you for taking this on. For folks that may not be able to do this, I saw this on 6speed. Arnott does alot of suspension for Escalades, but now they are getting into Porsches.

Arnott Link

Old 01-28-2019, 09:21 AM
140.6er
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Still watching this thread. Keep it up and work through it. Good man.

Quick Reply: Air Suspension parts arrived Wish me luck