Engine vibration at 1000 RPM

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 09:40 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine vibration at 1000 RPM

Hi all,

Anyone experience a vibration at particular engine RPM?
I'm in a 6 speed manual 2011 Cayenne with the V6.
Whether in neutral or with clutch depressed, I get what I would consider a significant vibration at exactly 1000 RPM.
Otherwise, it runs smooth above or below that speed.
Less noticeable when lightly loaded in 2nd gear at that engine speed.

Thanks
Old 01-03-2019, 12:07 AM
Rleog
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don’t know how significant it is but I get an engine vibration at 1400 rpm, in gear or in neutral (8 speed tiptronic, 2012 V6). I’ve put ~90,000 miles on it and the vibration doesn’t seem to have affected anything.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:43 AM
AO
Supercharged
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

So you've likely eliminated the clutch/transmission from the likely culprits. So now it's somewhere in the engine bay. My first suspect would be the engine mounts or the torque arm (not sure 958 v6s have them). On the 955, the torque arms are notorious for the rubber to crack and fail. Motor mounts also seem to fail on 955s at or above 120k miles (200k Km) and are an engine out procedure - so I hear.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:48 PM
jtsmith18
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 74 Posts

Just thought I would follow-up on this. I have a 2016 Cayenne base and have reported on this in the past. This 3.6 VR6 has an inherent balance issue at 1200 RPMs. Doesn't matter whether its its in neutral or going through the revs. I can tell with mine immediately if I am driving at a steady speed at 1200 RPMs regardless of the gear without ever looking at the guage. I will immediately change speed or gear because I don't like the feel of it. I do believe it is normal as I have seen it reported by others in the past. I sure don't worry about it but try not to linger at 1200.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:29 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jtsmith18
Just thought I would follow-up on this. I have a 2016 Cayenne base and have reported on this in the past. This 3.6 VR6 has an inherent balance issue at 1200 RPMs. Doesn't matter whether its its in neutral or going through the revs. I can tell with mine immediately if I am driving at a steady speed at 1200 RPMs regardless of the gear without ever looking at the guage. I will immediately change speed or gear because I don't like the feel of it. I do believe it is normal as I have seen it reported by others in the past. I sure don't worry about it but try not to linger at 1200.
Interesting. That's exactly what it feels like. Seems to happen more when cold for some reason. I'm due for my 125K service, so I will bering it up when she goes in.
I'm thinking that in some conditions, the engine vibration and the stiffness if the engine mounts come together and the issue becomes more apparent.
There are similar reports on the VW forums.
Thanks
Old 01-05-2019, 07:26 AM
Rleog
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

JTSmith: “I can tell with mine immediately if I am driving at a steady speed at 1200 RPMs regardless of the gear without ever looking at the guage. I will immediately change speed or gear because I don't like the feel of it.”

This is also my response.

Bob G
Old 01-05-2019, 08:15 AM
jtsmith18
Racer

Agreed, it’s not noticeable most of the time as you generally don’t cruise at 1200 RPMs. Otherwise it’s a pretty reliable engine capable of a high mileage life.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:43 PM
ellipsis
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've noticed this also... feels unrefined and course.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:49 PM
dbv1
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 79 Posts

This may or may not be related. Mine is a 3.6 manual. I've had both flexes replaced under warranty because at around 1200-1400 rpm I would hear a fairly loud chatter coming from underneath. It would only happen while in gear (any), clutch up and off gas (coasting, when slowing down). I didn't feel like it was engine related though, it sounded normal and would respond just fine to gas and there was no vibration on the steering wheel, shifter or the chassis. Just the odd sound. Senior mechanic at the dealer knew what it was immediately. Anyway, the new flexes cured it completely.

I got zero doubt this 3.6 will live a long and fruitful life. It's been problem free so far.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:23 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dbv1
This may or may not be related. Mine is a 3.6 manual. I've had both flexes replaced under warranty because at around 1200-1400 rpm I would hear a fairly loud chatter coming from underneath. It would only happen while in gear (any), clutch up and off gas (coasting, when slowing down). I didn't feel like it was engine related though, it sounded normal and would respond just fine to gas and there was no vibration on the steering wheel, shifter or the chassis. Just the odd sound. Senior mechanic at the dealer knew what it was immediately. Anyway, the new flexes cured it completely.

I got zero doubt this 3.6 will live a long and fruitful life. It's been problem free so far.
New flexes?
Old 01-13-2019, 12:27 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dbv1

Yes, mine is in at the Porsche dealer right now getting the 120,000Km service, They called and told me the flex connection after the downpipes is bad.
Not the source of the vibration, but it is the source of the rattle when rolling up to a stop while still in gear.
The bad part is that it's all one piece, including the Cat, so $5700 to replace.
Not sue I'm going to go that route. Mat just have it repaired by a good wedding shop, so I don't have to pay for a new Cat when I don't need one.

Oh yeah, and $537 to change the spark plugs seems high.
Is there something that makes this job difficult where the labour would be that crazy?
Makes me a half hour to change them in the 911, sheesh.

Old 10-21-2020, 11:14 PM
Puch
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I purchased a 2017 Cayenne base with the VR6 engine a few weeks ago. It is a one owner off lease with only 45,000 kms (equivalent to about 28,000 miles). All services done at dealer and transfer case replaced under warranty just before I bought it. Also, the dealer installed new Pirelli tires and pads/rotors. The car is mint and covered by the factory new car warranty for about another year.

I have the same annoying coarseness from about 1,100-1,600 rpms. It seems more pronounced when driving up or down hills. I’ve owned two previous Touareg’s with the same VR6 and 8 speed transmission and never had this issue. I’m quite surprised and disappointed by how unrefined this car feels as a result.

The Porsche service department can’t discern the issue, even though I told them about numerous internet posts about the issue and potential exhaust system causes.

Does anyone who had the problem rectified have further info, or perhaps details of a TSB that I can direct the dealer to?
Old 10-22-2020, 05:36 AM
jtsmith18
Racer

$537 to change plugs is highway robbery. Lots of videos on line to do it yourself or try an indy or a VW dealer as its a VW engine. If I don’t have time to change my own oil I sometimes take it to a VW dealer but make sure I give them the oil spec to use. They charge me $110 including a wash. To my surprise they even reset the service indicator. I usually leave a tip for the tech on the seat.

Quick Reply: Engine vibration at 1000 RPM