Removing the transfer case...and eventual rebuild thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 02:03 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,373 Likes on 794 Posts
Default 958 Step by Step Transfer Case Rebuild

Guys,
I think my 2011 CS shows some very minor symptoms of worn TC clutches and so I intend to remove the TC and rebuild it with parts from awdtech. Another member posted a thread about this, but when asked for details about the process, he has not responded and has not been active here for 3 months. I sent him a PM hoping for details but no luck.

So, I'd like to start a new thread that contains the procedure for removing the TC from the vehicle and goes through the rebuild.

Can anyone with experience removing the TC or who has access to alldata/workshop manuals address the steps required to remove the TC from the vehicle. It doesn't look overly complex, but removing the drive shafts and whether the exhaust has to go are questions I have.

Once the unit is out, I will take step by step pictures and provide a description or the rebuild process.

Thanks for any assistance that will greatly benefit the community.

Last edited by Quadcammer; 06-03-2019 at 12:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wyowolf (04-21-2022)
Old 01-10-2019, 02:18 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

good luck
Old 01-10-2019, 02:30 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Let me know when and where. I will stop by and help since I am going to have a lot of free time this year.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:45 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

I'd suggest investing the $15 it costs to get an AllDataDIY account. They always have some deal to a cheap annual subscription. While there is no detail on rebuilding the case itself - I'm sure R&R of it is covered. Having AllData handy on a laptop while doing the job might be priceless - you'll have torque numbers handy, any special tools needed, etc.

It appears fairly obvious the driveshafts have to be disconnected from the case, but I can't recall any clearance problems with the exhaust..

Do you have a lift? Doing it on jack-stands might be a bit iffy. If you do have a lift and want help in documenting it - you're not that far from me, I could likely travel to take some pics and notes. Photos of removal and installation will make the DIY even more valuable.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:34 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

I may just sign up for alldata.

There are no bolts on the driveshafts and the only thing seemingly holding them on is a snap ring...well that and the lack of clearance to fully extend. It appears the exhaust crosses over in front of the rear diff, so to fully drop the shaft, this would need to be removed. I'm not sure if there is enough play to simply pry the shaft back off the snap ring.

Have you found Don that the Icarsoft would be able to reset the TC module as has been discussed in the "transfer case" thread and mentioned by AWD Tech? I don't know anyone with a PIWIS unfortunately.

Thanks.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:37 PM
140.6er
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Get the ALLDATA, thats a no brainer. I too would love to tag along to help and learn. Let me know when and where, otherwise I am subscribed.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:44 PM
140.6er
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I wonder if Durametric would reset. I have the enthusiast version, I will try to figure that out.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:22 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I may just sign up for alldata.

There are no bolts on the driveshafts and the only thing seemingly holding them on is a snap ring...well that and the lack of clearance to fully extend. It appears the exhaust crosses over in front of the rear diff, so to fully drop the shaft, this would need to be removed. I'm not sure if there is enough play to simply pry the shaft back off the snap ring.

Have you found Don that the Icarsoft would be able to reset the TC module as has been discussed in the "transfer case" thread and mentioned by AWD Tech? I don't know anyone with a PIWIS unfortunately.

Thanks.
If the durametric pro can do it, I can help you out.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:36 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,765 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I'd suggest investing the $15 it costs to get an AllDataDIY account. They always have some deal to a cheap annual subscription. While there is no detail on rebuilding the case itself - I'm sure R&R of it is covered. Having AllData handy on a laptop while doing the job might be priceless - you'll have torque numbers handy, any special tools needed, etc.

It appears fairly obvious the driveshafts have to be disconnected from the case, but I can't recall any clearance problems with the exhaust..

Do you have a lift? Doing it on jack-stands might be a bit iffy. If you do have a lift and want help in documenting it - you're not that far from me, I could likely travel to take some pics and notes. Photos of removal and installation will make the DIY even more valuable.
Yup I just purchased a 5 year subscription to assist in my front suspension R&R.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:14 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

I have the durametric pro and sadly its useless for this. as i recall you can read the module but thats it.

Raudi driver, i hate to be a snot but would you mind looking at the r&r of the tcase?

Looks very straight forward.

2 driveshafts
Unplug electrical
Support trans, remove transmission mount
10 bolts to tranny, pull back off dowels, rotate and then down and out.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:20 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

sounds like a rebuild party coming up!
Old 01-10-2019, 09:53 PM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 249 Posts

just saw your PM, haven't been too active on here lately as I've been spending so much time at work and running around with the family. Transfer Case is rocking on fine!

for anyone interested, this is what I replied in the PM:

Not really a bad job at all. I have air suspension on my GTS, so raised it up as high as it would go. I pulled out the cross member when I did mine but I don't think its really necessary. I used a regular racing jack to help me lower the transfer case down although I lifted it back in place without it. The front and rear driveshafts pop off, took a bit of force and leverage but I managed. Few extensions to get the top bolts but nothing dramatic. Once the case is on the work bench, its pretty easy. I rigged up something to push the case halves apart, the sealant holds it together pretty tight. Snap ring pliers are about the only special tool needed. Case is held together by the Torx bolts, want to say T25. I ended up replacing the chain and clutch discs from AWD.tech. Pulled the car in, case out, rebuilt and driving it to dinner all in the same day.

I used the following torque applications that I borrowed from BMW and Benz rebuild info I found online
M8 Hex screws: 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).M10 Hex screws: 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).M12 Hex screws: 60 ft. lbs. (82 Nm).M8 Torx bolts: 16 ft. lbs. (21 Nm).M10 Torx bolts: 31 ft. lbs. (42 Nm).M12 Torx bolts: 54 ft. lbs. (72 Nm).

​​​​​​​Its not a bad job, just no information out there about it. I bit the bullet and it worked out. Nothing to be scared of, no tolerances, clearances, etc to verify.

I used a pry bar to pop the drive shafts off. One stiff pop with palm and boom, they're off. Getting the front one BACK on and locked in place was a bit if a bear because its hard to get leverage to push back on and snap in place. The driveshafts retract in about an inch, just enough to get off the splines. I let the front one drop down and rest on something, the rear on I let rest on a jack stand. I didn't have to do a thing with the exhaust. Also left the actuator motor in place, just unplugged the electrical connection obviously.

I left the plastic air scoop off when I put it all back together. Its not missed and seems like it adds the risk of water contamination into the fish mouth vent. New style vent **should** eradicate the water intrusion. Go ahead and buy an extra set of plastic dust shields, I had to destroy the front one to extract the half shaft out of the case.

Now if anyone could help me figure out how to get the second bolt from the back on the outside passenger valve cover, i'd be grateful!!! I have a random drip that appears to come from the valve cover in this area.

Last edited by e30rapidic; 01-10-2019 at 10:12 PM. Reason: added info
The following users liked this post:
cbracerx (11-02-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 09:54 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Just heard from e30rapidic, who did the original rebuild thread. gave me some really good info.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:01 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

e30rapidic - love your posting. If this happens (R&R and rebuild of Quadcammer's XFERcase) - can you contribute and proof read any DIY that comes out of it - and perhaps list the torque values you used for reassembly?
Old 01-11-2019, 11:26 AM
kennyt
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Kudos to all the members especially e30rapidic for this wonderful information.

Quick Reply: Removing the transfer case...and eventual rebuild thread