Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Could you swap ATE Air Strut for a Bilstein?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 11:08 PM
MayorMcCheese
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Could you swap ATE Air Strut for a Bilstein?

Hey everyone

My front passenger OE strut needs replacing come spring time so I’ll replace the front axel together. Could I use the Bilsteim air strut instead of the ATE? After reprogramming it would it work as I expect? Would the “comfort, normal, sport” buttons inside the vehicle remains same also? Or would sport be kind of sport +?

Old 02-05-2019, 01:24 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I have used both Porsche and Bilstein struts and, while the construction is a bit different, the performance is the same. No need to reprogram anything; the electronic damping control comfort/normal/sport works as it should.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:14 AM
sjt0017
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Could just buy a take-off OEM strut, I'm sure it'd be cost effective and you wouldn't have to worry about it not working as intended (I have seen a thread on here that someone lost their comfort setting controls with an aftermarket strut).

Pacific Motors is like a high end junk yard and they're really good at keeping online inventory accurate. They have a lot of take off OEM parts, I've been shopping for a lot of stuff on here myself (Somebody sell me their Anthracite Birch trim!)

https://www.pacificmotors.com/produc...e-958-2011-17/
Old 02-06-2019, 04:15 PM
MayorMcCheese
Rennlist Member

Pacific motors is fantastic I’ve dealt with them before.

what I want to do because I think soon I will need to is replace my front air struts but I’ve seen Bilstein Air suspension I assume they are for the turbo? GTS? And I’d like to put Bilstein on the front axel and eventually the rear if needed but if I attached Bilstein to the front and connect it all up I’d assume I’d have a sportier front end no?
Old 02-06-2019, 05:14 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorMcCheese
Pacific motors is fantastic I’ve dealt with them before.

what I want to do because I think soon I will need to is replace my front air struts but I’ve seen Bilstein Air suspension I assume they are for the turbo? GTS? And I’d like to put Bilstein on the front axel and eventually the rear if needed but if I attached Bilstein to the front and connect it all up I’d assume I’d have a sportier front end no?
Probably yes - McCheeze, I want to drive it when you're done.. I'll let you play with the TT..
Old 02-06-2019, 06:21 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by sjt0017
Could just buy a take-off OEM strut, I'm sure it'd be cost effective and you wouldn't have to worry about it not working as intended (I have seen a thread on here that someone lost their comfort setting controls with an aftermarket strut).

Pacific Motors is like a high end junk yard and they're really good at keeping online inventory accurate. They have a lot of take off OEM parts, I've been shopping for a lot of stuff on here myself (Somebody sell me their Anthracite Birch trim!)

https://www.pacificmotors.com/produc...e-958-2011-17/
Thanks for the link. Saw some door panels with the Burmester grills on them for cheap. (considering upgrading my bose to burmester.)

Sorry for threadjack
Old 02-07-2019, 04:58 PM
MountainStone
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

..if I attached Bilstein to the front and connect it all up I’d assume I’d have a sportier front end no?
I am curious whether this is the case. Does Bilstein claim improved ride or handling? Has anyone directly compared Bilstein to OEM? Can a bag of air really have dramatically different characteristics from one manufacturer to another? Certainly the damping can be differently tuned, but did Porsche tune the stock damping much inferior to the Bilstein damper?
Old 02-07-2019, 08:21 PM
Served
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced the fronts on my CTT with the Bilsteins recently and they are great. Comfort/normal/sport modes all work. They are not 'sportier' than the the factory struts, but designed as an OE equivalent.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:18 AM
MountainStone
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Served
I replaced the fronts on my CTT with the Bilsteins recently and they are great. Comfort/normal/sport modes all work. They are not 'sportier' than the the factory struts, but designed as an OE equivalent.
When you say they are ‘great’ do you mean they work equally as well as the OE struts, or do you mean they are an improvement on the OE struts?
Old 02-09-2019, 09:31 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,765 Likes on 1,653 Posts

educate yourself with this information from Bilstein.

https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/airspring/
Old 02-09-2019, 10:31 PM
MayorMcCheese
Rennlist Member

Well I didnt see anything conflicting.

If your implying my Cayenne's air suspension is Bilstein Id argue its not I only have a picture of the rear air strut and I dont see Bilstein.

Id very much welcome some Bilstein shocks for the first time on my CS had wondered if I would need to replace the air susp control module with one that had a bilstein setup in order to gain Sport +
Old 02-10-2019, 12:05 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

This is what Bilstein's website says:

"A peculiarity of OE shock absorbers, amongst other things, lies in the electronic damping adjustment used in the monotube gas-pressure shock absorber for the Mercedes-Benz W220. Unlike many competitors, BILSTEIN uses OE shock absorbers in all examples of the B4 air suspension modules."

"Only BILSTEIN-made air suspension modules have working chambers that are always in line with the vehicle manufacturer's specifications. This helps reduce wear and optimists suspension performance."

If you want to stay Genuine Porsche I have a set for sale. My passenger top o-ring failed. I rebuilt both sides and they are available. All seals are new and also replaced all the pressure valves. I'll prefill to 36psi, with N5 and they will be ready to bolt in to your car. I'll even polish up the housings so they look new. 58k on them when they were removed. 1 year warranty and I'd pay shipping both ways in case any issues.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:18 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Id very much welcome some Bilstein shocks for the first time on my CS had wondered if I would need to replace the air susp control module with one that had a bilstein setup in order to gain Sport +
I don't think you can install Sport + into your car. It's generally for years 2015 on. Even if you change the module, you may run into issues when you go to program and the vin doesn't take it.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:03 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

Well I didnt see anything conflicting.

If your implying my Cayenne's air suspension is Bilstein Id argue its not I only have a picture of the rear air strut and I dont see Bilstein.

I can see "ATE" clearly on the spring assembly in the photo - but ATE as far as I know doesn't make hydraulic dampers (ie - shocks/struts) so chances are good one of the larger manufacturers of them is supplying ATE with them and that might be Bilstein. So you may already have Bilstein on your Cayenne.

Interesting find on a euro parts website: https://www.euspares.co.uk/parts-cat...1656-4-8-turbo if you dig into the listings you can find crossover PN's for VW and Audi using the same air struts, which I guess answers some of the questions on handling differences between VW Tourag and the Cayenne.. It also lists a secondary supplier of air-struts that I've never heard of. http://shop.trucktec.com/New_Product...tem=08.30.039#

A bit more searching turns up: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...773799192.html Want some Chinese suspension?

Or eBay from Hong Kong: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Left-...s/292768396925 - way cheaper..

Quick Reply: Could you swap ATE Air Strut for a Bilstein?