Sponsored By:

new transfer case fluid from Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 06:41 PM
kennyt
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default new transfer case fluid from Porsche

Just picked up a liter of transfer case fluid from Porsche and the description says Transmission Fluid. Had the sales person check again to make sure and he confirmed the transfer case uses the same fluid as the transmission. I also notice on their computer screen that the old fluid is grayed out and the new fluid has a different part number. It comes in a 900ml bottle instead of 1L like the old bottle. I'll take a picture with the new part number and post it later.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:02 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

The last time I used the Porsche fluid it also came in something like 850cc quantity. I can't recall it being called transmission fluid though, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me if it is. The clutch in the transfer-case is nothing magic - it looks like an auto-tranny clutch.. which certainly are lubricated by ATF. I changed mine about a week ago using Ravinol ATF (which they spec for the transfer case). No friction modifier. Feels a bit smoother but that could just be placebo effect,
Old 07-11-2019, 07:23 PM
jtsmith18
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
The last time I used the Porsche fluid it also came in something like 850cc quantity. I can't recall it being called transmission fluid though, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me if it is. The clutch in the transfer-case is nothing magic - it looks like an auto-tranny clutch.. which certainly are lubricated by ATF. I changed mine about a week ago using Ravinol ATF (which they spec for the transfer case). No friction modifier. Feels a bit smoother but that could just be placebo effect,
Just checked the last bottle of “63” fluid I picked up from the dealer about 6 months ago. Don, you are right the label does not say anything about transmission, however this bottle also has a packing and part number sticker at the bottom which says “Transmission Oil”.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:15 PM
kennyt
Instructor

Don is correct the label is 850ml but actual volume in the bottom is measured 900ml. According to the dealer’s computer the capacity of the transfer case is 850ml.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:44 PM
kennyt
Instructor

Just want to give you guys a heads up. I did the transfer case fluid change yesterday using the Porsche fluid and it wasn't enough to fully fill the transfer case (no drip from the fill hole). I was short about 50mL so if you plan to fill it with Porsche fluid purchase 2 bottles. The Ravenol however has more than enough with 1 bottle.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:39 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyt
Just want to give you guys a heads up. I did the transfer case fluid change yesterday using the Porsche fluid and it wasn't enough to fully fill the transfer case (no drip from the fill hole). I was short about 50mL so if you plan to fill it with Porsche fluid purchase 2 bottles. The Ravenol however has more than enough with 1 bottle.
The volume spec'd by Porsche is 850ml. That's what their transfer case fluid bottles come with. I wouldn't worry about no-drip if you put an entire bottle in. There is more than enough to circulate through the case and lubricate things. When the case is in action - there is probably only a small amount sitting on the bottom of the case, the rest of it is pumped around and thrown around inside the case. Ravenol gives you 1000ml (1 liter) - so you have 150ml left over. You'll have to find some friends who want to merge their leftover Ravinol to get an amount that's useable (850ml.)
Old 08-01-2019, 07:32 AM
awd.tech
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The official information from a manufacture of the transfer boxes PL72ATC (including PL72ATC NG) suggests that you should use 980ml of fluid during the first time (Filled up to oil level plug). The oil should be - Shell TF0870B according to TL7300. A different oil and in smaller quantity is used for transmission box of PL72T.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:44 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyt
When I changed out my 4runner tcase fluid, I just stuck my pinky in the hole and if I could touch the gear oil than it was enough. Maybe try that and see if it's close to the fill plug hole.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:56 PM
Nhirsch
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Almost ready to replace fluid

Transfer Case symptoms for awhile on my 2012 958TT. Porsche courtesy check mentioned it as well. Found the informative thread here on Rennlist which seemed to be applicable. Ravenol and Lube Guard received. Waiting for the liquid gasket (Yamabond 4) before I start with just the Ravenol and see if that alone improves the driving. If not will add some of the Lube Guard. Liquid gasket so I won't have to risk tightening up the plugs too much as posts have warned. Thanks to contributors for the info and feedback.

Originally Posted by deilenberger
The volume spec'd by Porsche is 850ml. That's what their transfer case fluid bottles come with. I wouldn't worry about no-drip if you put an entire bottle in. There is more than enough to circulate through the case and lubricate things. When the case is in action - there is probably only a small amount sitting on the bottom of the case, the rest of it is pumped around and thrown around inside the case. Ravenol gives you 1000ml (1 liter) - so you have 150ml left over. You'll have to find some friends who want to merge their leftover Ravinol to get an amount that's useable (850ml.)
Old 08-08-2019, 07:23 PM
Nhirsch
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Completed the transfer fluid change

Went well. Used 8mm Allen wrench noting number of threads exposed and how tight each plug was which wasn't much. Oil was dark as others have shown. Should have paid attention to the Ravenol pictures showing that the white part of the filler came out further than I first tried. If you don't pull it all the way up you'll leave 200ml in the container. Wondered why I thought I'd emptied it and nothing came out of fill hole. After pulling it out all the way (about 2") I got enough oil in to see it start to overflow. Put Yamalube 4 on the plugs and put them back in gently but firmly. Test drive not long enough to say yet. Thanks again for this thread and the DIY

Quick Reply: new transfer case fluid from Porsche