Front differential replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 04:18 AM
jsoderbe
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front differential replacement

Hi,

I have worn down the front diff in my mighty 2014 4.2 Diesel Cayenne. Apparently these break, mostly on Touareg's, but I guess our Cayenne's are basically the same car. I am not surprised looking at the outside of the differential, it seems tiny for the massive torque. I am sure it didn't help that I had mine optimized to 750 lb/ft of torque and 464 hp, but the grinding noise was there even before the tuning.

Anyway, I have sourced a used one, and need to replace it. Have anyone here done this on a 958? I am considering if I should do this myself or leave it to the shop. I am trying to figure out if this can be done with normal tools in a garage, and how many hours of labor it would be.

Any thoughts would be very appreciated!

Regards,

Johan Soderberg
Old 08-21-2019, 03:11 PM
Neil-UK
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi

Just done this very job on my 13 3.0 Diesel. Its not a bad job to do, I did it in an afternoon but if you allow yourself a full day with refreshments. I found a video of some 6 minutes on YouTube of a guy removing a touareg diff and just used this as reference. You need to lower the subframe just enough to get the diff out. I'm no mechanic, a competent DIY'er at best.

Quick Reply: Front differential replacement