Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2013 Cayenne Diesel Oil Leak Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2023, 08:42 PM
TR007
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Much appreciate your response. We will start speaking to POA to see where we go with this. Thanks again.
Old 08-29-2023, 12:50 PM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I wonder if there is a contact person or number at the original settlement site to try and resolve issues like this?
Old 08-30-2023, 10:02 PM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

We have had the same issue. Bought our 2013 CD from Porsche as a CPO. Had the rear timing chain cover leak at 70K miles. It was fixed under CPO warranty. There is no price on the receipt, but I can imagine it was EXPENSIVE, the receipt ran to eight pages. So here we are, at 122K miles and the rear timing covers are leaking again. Same symptoms. As a matter of fact, I had to top up the oil twice during a recent 4500 mile trip. Went to Porsche customer service and complained - they said they are investigating but I suspect they are not likely to offer anything since the car is out of warranty. Porsche said they would go back to the dealer that did the fix - but I can imagine they will also pass on any recourse. So the options are fix it at an Indy repair facility (have not shopped prices yet) or live with it.

Any idea what an Indy shop will charge AND am I just wasting $$$ because it will eventually leak again - maybe it is just part of the design - albeit a shortcoming in the design.

Last edited by rob76turbo; 08-30-2023 at 10:04 PM. Reason: fix typo
Old 08-31-2023, 01:00 PM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

I just talked to a guy who has an Audi 2013 diesel- same issues of leaks. The dealer fixed it and told them they would not do it again.

I wonder why the leak fix did not last on your car and why they won't repair it again if they didn't do the correct repair.

Old 08-31-2023, 10:01 PM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by reneeweiss
I just talked to a guy who has an Audi 2013 diesel- same issues of leaks. The dealer fixed it and told them they would not do it again.

I wonder why the leak fix did not last on your car and why they won't repair it again if they didn't do the correct repair.
I have pretty much my same question. I will wait to see what Porsche has to say - but the fact that it is leaking again (and I think even worse) after 50K miles reflects a poor repair by the dealer.
Old 11-29-2023, 11:04 PM
dntlvet
Pro

Default 2016 Cayenne Diesel leak 45,000 miles

Originally Posted by rob76turbo
I have pretty much my same question. I will wait to see what Porsche has to say - but the fact that it is leaking again (and I think even worse) after 50K miles reflects a poor repair by the dealer.

My car is still under the original owner warranty and also under the diesel gate fix warranty.
Anyone get a full seal repair at a dealer in Southwest Florida? Which dealer?
Thank You
Old 01-24-2024, 11:44 AM
sayyonee19
AutoX

Hey List folks. Figured I would provide an update on my '16 CD. I know there are a bunch of threads about this oil leak but choosing this one as it's the most recent. I have been through this one with my old '15 CD so this is not completely new to me.
A bunch of oil drops on the driveway led me to take the car to the dealer. It has 79k miles and I am the 2nd owner. Dealer is the service center in Mckinney, TX. I made the appointment in advance and asked for a loaner as I suspected this would be the RMS leak.
The service advisor was ready and knew this would likely be covered under warranty. Didn't try to push back at all and after a 2 hr diagnosis told me it is the engine out reseal and is covered under warranty.
A bunch of things are being replaced but he deflated my entitlement bubble by saying no to also replacing Front seal, Cooling housing gasket or the water pump. On the water pump I offered to pay for the part but they want $620+tax for parts and labor. I think it's a bit high.
On the HPFP he said they are only replaced if they fail.

So the question is do I get the water pump done now or just leave it as is. I dont think it's a part that's covered under emissions warranty (?) so not sure if it's worth it to get it replaced now. What's the failure rate on those. I tried searching here but couldn't find much.

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2024, 11:56 AM
bdronsick
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 584 Posts

‘15 & ‘16 RMS leaks?? That’s some serious bad luck; I’ve got 179K miles on my ‘15 dry RMS 😳

Old 01-24-2024, 11:56 AM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

My dealer said that they didn't see many water pumps fail so they recommended not to replace with my engine out seal. I don't remember if I asked about the fuel pump. I have 4 or 5 pages of parts replaced under warranty.
Old 01-24-2024, 11:58 AM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

My 2013 RMS was leaking at about 50k- you can only see it when you do an oil change and have the bottom plastic cover off. Never oil on the ground because it mostly evaporated on the cover from the engine heat.
Old 01-24-2024, 12:07 PM
wineguy94920
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default I’d do the water pump and timing cover gasket.

If the CD is open on PCNA’s dime AND you will hold long term, do the pump and associated gaskets.
I would do the timing cover gasket And mandate that they check for timing chain stretch or Play due to worn guides. Complain of a rattling at startup after letting it sit from full operating temp for 30 minutes. I got a new chain and Guides and 6 pages of other bits for free on that complaint.
QUOTE=reneeweiss;19238072]My dealer said that they didn't see many water pumps fail so they recommended not to replace with my engine out seal. I don't remember if I asked about the fuel pump. I have 4 or 5 pages of parts replaced under warranty.[/QUOTE]
Old 01-24-2024, 01:16 PM
sayyonee19
AutoX

The timing chain cover seal is already part of it so good there. I didn't think of the checking the timing chain stretch though. Let me ask.

Thanks for the input.
Old 02-25-2024, 02:45 AM
HIPPOBOOGIE
Rennlist Member

I have a 2015 CD -- just took to an Indy for routine service and he found the rear main seal is leaking oil.
  • Prior to the most recent service it had always been serviced by a dealer.
  • Over the past 1-2 years I started getting the notification to add 1 qt of oil in between oil changes but was always assured by the dealer that this was normal and there was no leak
  • In 2022 the dealer told me "the [extended] warranty covers major emisisons/engine mechanical components until 120,000 miles or 10/2/2023".
  • I had scheduled a final in-warranty service for 9/23/23 when the vehicle had ~119K miles but was forced to reschedule, and ultimately decided to take it to an Indy as it was my understanding (per communications from the dealer) the warranty period had expired.
  • In between the dealer appointment I cancelled and the Indy appointment i subsequently scheduled, I put a few hundred miles on the car brining it over the 120k miles (again, not thinking this was of consequence as the warranty had expired)
  • After researching further, Ive come to find out the 10 year warranty does not expire until 5/19/25... The 9/23/23 date erroneously provided by the dealer was the 48 months mark following the date the emissions modification was performed rather than the 10 year mark after the original in service date.
  • However, now the warranty HAS expired due to the additional miles I stupidly put on (thinking it was no longer under warranty).
Had the dealer provided me with the correct expiration date for the warranty I obviously wouldn't have put the additional miles on and would have had them service it, which would have resulted in the $5k+ of work being covered under the warranty (although I do question whether they would have even told me about the leak given it must have been present during prior services and they said nothing).

I understand I'm a complete idiot for not catching this earlier. but hoping I may be able to appeal to Porsche given I have a record of the warranty info being misquoted by the dealer and the fact that this is known issue and am only a few hundred miles past the mileage cutoff.

Welcome any thoughts/suggestions on the best path forward.

Thanks!
​​​​​

Old 02-25-2024, 08:32 AM
wineguy94920
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Reply to incorrect warranty expire date

If you have , in writing, the email or write up that shows they said it was 48 months and not “48 or 120 k Mi or 10 years” then go to service mgr and demand.
document, document, document.
Then go to PCNA.
The following users liked this post:
HIPPOBOOGIE (02-25-2024)
Old 02-25-2024, 09:37 AM
bdronsick
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 584 Posts

Your case would be stronger if you had followed through on the final in-warranty dealer inspection under 120K miles. The dealer’s misinformation didn’t prevent you from making that appointment, it only affected your decision process after the warranty had already expired. IE it could be argued their misinformation should have motivated you to seek remedy sooner, not later. That would be PCNA’s legal argument. That said, they may offer to contribute to the repair, since they were in fact wrong.

Originally Posted by HIPPOBOOGIE
I have a 2015 CD -- just took to an Indy for routine service and he found the rear main seal is leaking oil.
  • Prior to the most recent service it had always been serviced by a dealer.
  • Over the past 1-2 years I started getting the notification to add 1 qt of oil in between oil changes but was always assured by the dealer that this was normal and there was no leak
  • In 2022 the dealer told me "the [extended] warranty covers major emisisons/engine mechanical components until 120,000 miles or 10/2/2023".
  • I had scheduled a final in-warranty service for 9/23/23 when the vehicle had ~119K miles but was forced to reschedule, and ultimately decided to take it to an Indy as it was my understanding (per communications from the dealer) the warranty period had expired.
  • In between the dealer appointment I cancelled and the Indy appointment i subsequently scheduled, I put a few hundred miles on the car brining it over the 120k miles (again, not thinking this was of consequence as the warranty had expired)
  • After researching further, Ive come to find out the 10 year warranty does not expire until 5/19/25... The 9/23/23 date erroneously provided by the dealer was the 48 months mark following the date the emissions modification was performed rather than the 10 year mark after the original in service date.
  • However, now the warranty HAS expired due to the additional miles I stupidly put on (thinking it was no longer under warranty).
Had the dealer provided me with the correct expiration date for the warranty I obviously wouldn't have put the additional miles on and would have had them service it, which would have resulted in the $5k+ of work being covered under the warranty (although I do question whether they would have even told me about the leak given it must have been present during prior services and they said nothing).

I understand I'm a complete idiot for not catching this earlier. but hoping I may be able to appeal to Porsche given I have a record of the warranty info being misquoted by the dealer and the fact that this is known issue and am only a few hundred miles past the mileage cutoff.

Welcome any thoughts/suggestions on the best path forward.

Thanks!
​​​​​

Last edited by bdronsick; 02-25-2024 at 09:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
HIPPOBOOGIE (02-25-2024)

Quick Reply: 2013 Cayenne Diesel Oil Leak Question