Sponsored By:

2013 Cayenne Diesel Oil Leak Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 01:00 PM
Vivaldi
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2013 Cayenne Diesel Oil Leak Question

I purchased a new Cayenne Diesel in 2013 and currently have 140,000 miles ( mostly highway) on the vehicle. I had the diesel emission fix done by my dealer approximately 2 years ago. On a recent routine oil change, I was informed that I have an "engine oil leak, rear cover, upper oil pan housing". The dealer informed me that my extended warranty does not cover the fix. Dealer cost estimate just to pull the engine would cost $4,300 in labor. The dealer was hesitant to give me a total cost for repair and said a best guess would be in the $6,000 - 8,000 range, perhaps more "depending on what we find".

Other than this recent oil leak, the vehicle has never given me any difficulties. I really enjoy the vehicle, but I'm wondering what other high dollar fixes might be right around the corner if I do the oil "fix".

So, I would really enjoy hearing from anyone who has a cayenne with high mileage informing me of their opinion as to whether or not I should get "fix" done for the oil leak or just trade it in on a new vehicle. My dilemma is that I really do enjoy my vehicle. And since I do long distance commuting of about 25,000 miles per year, I purchased the Cayenne Diesel thinking it would be an engine that might have a life span of 300-400 K, but I'm seriously wondering if this is going to be the case or what else might go wrong.

My dealer told me I could keep driving it with the leak, but sooner or later I will need the fix. On the last 5000 mile oil change interval of about 2-3 months from previous, the dashboard oil dipstick went down from maximum to just one notch above minimum.

All opinions welcome, especially from Cayenne owners who have high milage that can point out other known problems with high mileage Cayenne vehicles.

Thanks.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:28 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 301 Posts

I would put rug under it.
Drive it.
Have one quart of oil in the Cayenne.
Monitor it.
Pray the leak does not worsen.
And keep cruising the highway miles.
The following 3 users liked this post by KBell:
Goody (07-22-2020), Needsdecaf (10-23-2019), pyramidimaging (03-06-2024)
Old 10-14-2019, 09:59 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

This isn't an uncommon failure on the diesels. A number of people have reported the same leak and posted about getting it fixed. Perhaps a bit of searching might turn those threads up.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:35 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had my 13 fixed under warranty... not sure why yours wouldn't as well. This happened about 6 months ago... I'm not even the original owner.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:25 PM
jfitzoz
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SELL IT OR SMELL IT.

I have the identical year and model with 40K miles. I suppose I have something to look forward to at 140K miles.

The question I have is why do you want to continue owning/driving the CD even if you fix the leak?
Old 10-15-2019, 12:46 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Chip
I had my 13 fixed under warranty... not sure why yours wouldn't as well. This happened about 6 months ago... I'm not even the original owner.
Because diesel fix warranty is up to 10yr or 120K miles.

Originally Posted by jfitzoz
SELL IT OR SMELL IT.

I have the identical year and model with 40K miles. I suppose I have something to look forward to at 140K miles.

The question I have is why do you want to continue owning/driving the CD even if you fix the leak?
These vehicles are known for their durability. Finding Touaregs with 150-200K miles are not uncommon. Oil leaks are common in all vehicles > 80K miles from valve or timing chain covers.

This leak is not a bad leak. I had mine fixed under warranty and would not bother if out of warranty. Just keep topping it off like other cars using/burning away thin oils to get higher mileage.

Last edited by chsu74; 10-15-2019 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:16 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
Because diesel fix warranty is up to 10yr or 120K miles.

Yes, keep that in mind. Even if your CD is still under 10 yrs, once over 120K miles, your warranty is over
Old 10-15-2019, 10:49 PM
flyfisher
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

My wife's '13 CD had an oil leak and was repaired under warranty. After the repair, they took it out for a test drive and found it had no power. Back into the shop it went where they found a piece of the turbo had broken off and lodged in the intake manifold. This was also covered by warranty. Your dealer is full of crap.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:40 PM
Vivaldi
AutoX

After doing more research, my dealer has concluded that it is possible I might be eligible for repair of the oil leak under the extended emissions warranty, but it will depend on what they find and they may not know for sure until they have removed the engine. So if I instruct them to remove the engine, it will be a gamble on whether I pay the total cost or Porsche pays, depending on what they find. I was told my particular vehicle has an extended emissions warranty up to 229 kilometers or 142,000 miles. My current mileage is at 140,900.

Any thoughts on the extended emissions warranty going up to 229 kilometers or 142,000 miles?

Any thoughts on whether my vehicle's "engine oil leak, rear cover, upper oil pan housing" as described by the dealer is likely to be covered under an extended emissions warranty?

Thanks
Old 10-18-2019, 04:52 PM
avlis
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine was covered under the extended emissions warranty but, as others have said, mine runs out at 12x,000 miles. I had the engine-out reseal done at 105,000 miles right after I bought it. My dealer was able to diagnose the source of the leak without removing the engine. They put a dye in the oil and watched for it to come out.
I posted my story in the large diesel oil leak thread, but it goes like this: I bought the Cayenne used at 104,000 knowing there was a drip of oil under the car. The used car dealer said it was residual from fixing the oil filter housing (this wasn't true). I bought the car anyway. I searched and found the big oil leak thread on this forum and panicked. I only owned the car a couple days and was facing a HUGE repair bill! I decided to have my local dealer check it out then I would decide whether to take the car back to the seller for a refund, take it to an independent shop for a fix, or just let it leak. It was just a drip after all and I loved the car. I was surprised the dealer decided to reseal it under warranty. It was awesome and I got to go over the entire drive train while it was disassembled. Put on 10,000 trouble free miles. No leak.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:54 PM
Vivaldi
AutoX

UPDATE:

The dealer has determined that my oil leak will be repaired under full warranty!

I was told that even though my vehicle has 140,900 miles on it, I am still under full warranty for anything related to the emissions fix that was done on my vehicle at 95,000, because the emissions fix warranty extends for 48,000 miles after the emissions fix, which extends my vehicle warranty for it to 143,000 miles. Even without pulling out the engine, they were able to determine that my oil leak is in some way related to items under warranty from the emissions fix. Needles to say, I was pleasantly surprised by this new piece of information from my dealer's service department.

Just wanted to post this update for all of you with Cayenne Diesel's that might get an oil leak at some point. The confusion with my dealer's service department initially telling me it was not under warranty came from the "fill in" service representative who told me the oil leak could not be fixed under warranty while my regular service representative was away at training. Very happy I decided to call the regular service representative the following Monday after he returned. Really great guy who knew all the details of the warranty and set me straight under full warranty for the repair!
The following 6 users liked this post by Vivaldi:
avlis (10-21-2019), chassis (11-15-2019), deilenberger (10-21-2019), Eskimo1 (10-22-2019), Spoddle (03-25-2020), vntperformance (03-14-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-23-2019, 06:13 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,541 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Good for you. I think your dealer did you a solid one and tied it into an emissions issue for your benefit. Because it's definitely not related to anything having to do with the fix. We had the leak occur and fixed 6 months before the diesel "fix" was done. AT the time, I said that had the car not been under warranty, I would have just lived with it.

It's entire engine - transmission - transfer case and front subframe out. The cam chain covers are what are leaking and they are the on the back of the engine.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:55 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,063 Posts

it's a huge job. I had it done at about 25k miles.

drop subframe
engine / trans out
disassemble top end of engine
replace the offending gasket and a whole bunch of bolts, parts, seals, etc due to the disassembly
put it all back together
align the car

Following this I had to have the injector seals replace 2x to get them to stop seeping following reassembly. It's good now.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:24 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Good for you. I think your dealer did you a solid one and tied it into an emissions issue for your benefit. Because it's definitely not related to anything having to do with the fix. We had the leak occur and fixed 6 months before the diesel "fix" was done. AT the time, I said that had the car not been under warranty, I would have just lived with it.

It's entire engine - transmission - transfer case and front subframe out. The cam chain covers are what are leaking and they are the on the back of the engine.
Because the car had the emission fix, the extended emissions warranty covers the complete drivetrain including timing chain cover leaks.
The following users liked this post:
lml999 (03-11-2022)
Old 10-23-2019, 07:26 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 301 Posts

Congratulations!!!!
The following users liked this post:
lml999 (03-11-2022)

Quick Reply: 2013 Cayenne Diesel Oil Leak Question