Sponsored By:

Full Headlight Overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 08:39 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Just to throw something out there - https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...dh&bypass=true - a 6 element LED light source. This should present a better light pattern if the physical configuration is correct and the light sources are located where the halogen lamp filament would have been.

I had one other question/thought - I believe I read the OP ended up installing HID's in the high-beam position. How bad is the warmup phase of the high-beam? Obviously you can't flash with them (unless you're flashing VERY slowly and planning WAY far ahead.) I'm sure that's the reason why the manufacturers used halogens in that position.
The OP went with LEDs in the high beam, not HID.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:35 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
The OP went with LEDs in the high beam, not HID.
Good move on his part. I've gone LED on the low beams on my Boxster (had halogens), and am considering going LED on the highs - with the 6 sided LED that I mentioned above. Since the highs are strictly a reflective source on the Boxster - the LEDs circling the center post might work quite well.
Old 06-27-2020, 12:05 PM
tmckenna
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Bump for anyone with questions from my fog light thread
Old 06-27-2020, 12:15 PM
tmckenna
Pro

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Good move on his part. I've gone LED on the low beams on my Boxster (had halogens), and am considering going LED on the highs - with the 6 sided LED that I mentioned above. Since the highs are strictly a reflective source on the Boxster - the LEDs circling the center post might work quite well.
Yes, I was actually dead set on upgrading to an HID setup in the high beam for a while because on paper they have the best performance in a pre existing reflector housing. But between the installation process (drilling the housings for wire pass through and figuring out where to mount the ballasts) and the warm up time, I figured for a marginal decrease in light output, that LEDs were the better and smarter option.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:38 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by tmckenna
Great write up thanks.
Ready to order the same full set.
Any error codes yet?
someone?

Last edited by Galion; 08-02-2020 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:30 PM
tmckenna
Pro

Originally Posted by Galion
Great write up thanks.
Ready to order the same full set.
Any error codes yet?
someone?
Nope. I would say "not at all" but that wouldnt be the complete truth. Only time I ever get an error is in a fast food drive thru (really only ever get taco bell, wendys, or chick fil a) and I have the wheel turned left for an extended period of time. I guess the LEDs I used for the cornering lights (which I knew were lower end and didnt have any heat sinks or fans built in) cannot run for extended periods of time, so when i have the wheel turned left and the cornering light activated for "long" periods of time I believe the bulb times out and Ill get an error for the bulb. Everything returns to normal once i i leave the drive thru though.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:43 AM
Slam08
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the write up! I did this upgrade in May on my 11 CTT after a headlight went out. I figured might as well upgrade them all

i used the exact same bulbs that the OP used. Working just fine. Only got one error code once when I had the car parked but running and the wheel was turned. Haven’t gotten any errors when using a drive through.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:30 AM
tmckenna
Pro

Originally Posted by Slam08
Thanks for the write up! I did this upgrade in May on my 11 CTT after a headlight went out. I figured might as well upgrade them all

i used the exact same bulbs that the OP used. Working just fine. Only got one error code once when I had the car parked but running and the wheel was turned. Haven’t gotten any errors when using a drive through.
No problem, glad I could help so many people.

Was your error for the cornering light as well?
Old 08-03-2020, 11:05 AM
Slam08
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I think so but not sure. It just came once and I figured I would see if it kept happening. It hasn’t. Unlike the darn fuel gauge error.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:24 AM
tmckenna
Pro

Originally Posted by Slam08
I think so but not sure. It just came once and I figured I would see if it kept happening. It hasn’t. Unlike the darn fuel gauge error.
Yeh, if I had to guess it was your cornering light. Thats the only time I see any sort of bulb error.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:34 PM
Slickdvl
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...he-noobie.html

In case anyone decides to try this...here's someone previously having success installing LEDs into the cornering lights. I may buy the lumibright xt1's and if i cant get them in...just put them into my brights.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:47 PM
Galion
Pro

Finished the upgrade using all the parts suggested, very happy with the results, although the H7 Lumibright left beam pattern differs quite a lot from the right...
Old 09-17-2020, 10:32 AM
tmckenna
Pro

Finished the upgrade using all the parts suggested, very happy with the results, although the H7 Lumibright left beam pattern differs quite a lot from the right...
Did you clock the actual bulb the same way? Part of the reason I bought the Lumibrights is because theyre adjustable by 36 way adjustable, every 10 degrees. The bulb should be clocked perpendicular to the ground so that the lights on each side project sideways, or horizontally. Thats how you get the best light production in a reflector housing.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:03 PM
Galion
Pro

Did you clock the actual bulb the same way? Part of the reason I bought the Lumibrights is because theyre adjustable by 36 way adjustable, every 10 degrees. The bulb should be clocked perpendicular to the ground so that the lights on each side project sideways, or horizontally. Thats how you get the best light production in a reflector housing.
Oops, both are placed diagonally to the ground. Thanks!

Old 09-17-2020, 12:07 PM
tmckenna
Pro

Oops, both are placed diagonally to the ground. Thanks!

Glad you mentioned something. Thats one of those little things that a lot of people over look. Should get even better performance out of the high beams after you adjust them, and obviously a more uniform beam pattern.

Quick Reply: Full Headlight Overhaul