Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2011 CTT oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 07:25 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 344 Likes on 240 Posts

I don't think it's panic time, but I would certainly change it next chance I got. I doubt it is causing the leak. That has been the age long argument between dino oil and synthetic. People swear that synthetic oil caused their engine to leak. No... Your engine leaks because it's not sealed properly.

Now the 20wt oil is a little more viscous than the 40wt. But I doubt it would make a difference.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:24 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,752 Likes on 1,646 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by twodollardoug
People swear that synthetic oil caused their engine to leak. No... Your engine leaks because it's not sealed properly.
It's like when your girl says, "does this outfit make me look fat?". "No, your fat makes you look fat"
Old 01-22-2020, 09:25 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
It's like when your girl says, "does this outfit make me look fat?". "No, your fat makes you look fat"
EXACTLY.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:03 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Talking

I don't think it's panic time, but I would certainly change it next chance I got. I doubt it is causing the leak. That has been the age long argument between dino oil and synthetic. People swear that synthetic oil caused their engine to leak. No... Your engine leaks because it's not sealed properly.

Now the 20wt oil is a little more viscous than the 40wt. But I doubt it would make a difference.
EXACTLY.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:22 PM
SonofaBish
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

UPDATE: I changed the oil and all seemed to be welll. I get literally 1 drip of oil every night. I suppose that could be leftover from before, or still a minor leak - however, if its 1 leak a night, i'd just live with it. HOWEVER, i took another long drive - 800 miles over 2 days, and got the same result as i had gotten before. See the attached picture - i now have:
green: oil in the areas i mentioned before
blue: spatter on the cosmetic plastic, and
red: oil on the underside of the hood, directly above this position...

Since the red is only a hose, it doesn't strike me as that being where its coming from. I'm wondering if i have an issue with the AOS, causing oil to come spitting out onto the hood and the side plastic. And just so its clear, i thought i noticed some of this before i started the second half of my trip, cleaned it all off, and then had this situation when i got home, so its definitely not something that happened at a different juncture. however, i don't see any way that the AOS could get oil into those V's (green)... so, where would this oil be coming from? Could it be lifting the intake manifold and pushing oil out when the crankcase pressure increases so much?

My wife still drives it every day and there's never any additional oil in the areas mentioned. But on the long drives, its a combination of cruise control and occasional "fun"

Old 02-08-2020, 12:29 PM
SonofaBish
Instructor

Bump.... do you think it's the AOS?
Old 02-08-2020, 05:38 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SonofaBish
Bump.... do you think it's the AOS?
Your guess is as good as mine. The oil splatter circled in blue is right next to AOS. that would be my first suspect. Then again the high pressure fuel pump sits behind the AOS. The seals for the AOS are available individually. Or you can replace the whole unit and it will include the seals. I think the whole unit is about $160 bucks.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:03 AM
SonofaBish
Instructor

thanks Doug - -

I think i'll probably just replace the whole unit... i can't seem to find where i can just get the cap/diaphragm for the 958's (only 957's), and while the entire unit doesn't seem to have much that could go wrong other than the diaphragm, i don't see what else it could be... with oil on the hood, but not on the AOS itself, there's no way that it its coming from the HPFP, or else it'd have to get on the AOS... then again, if its coming from the AOS, i'd think there'd be oil on it too.... so i'm kind of lost, but i think its where i have to start...
Old 02-09-2020, 11:25 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

You could always take it in to the dealer and pay them to diagnose. however, that hasn't worked out well for me.
Old 06-22-2021, 01:47 AM
SouthernMNSurfer
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to revive such an old thread but I've got the exact same symptoms except I didn't notice the oil in the V until I pulled the intake to repair a coolant vent line leak. SonofaBish, did you ever figure out what was going on? Some of the pics you posted, look exactly what I'm seeing, down to the areas of grime and the weeping bell housing.

Here's my situation. 2011 CTT, 104K miles. Previously, I'd noticed what appeared to be a lot of oil in the plenum, intake and PCV hoses but had heard that's not unheard of with Turbos. I hadn't noticed an oil leakage until after our summer vacation last year . After towing our boat loaded with a week's worth of gear and supplies 500 miles round trip in 95 degree heat, I noticed the oil weeping from the bell housing. That's come and gone over the past year, never really amounting to enough to drip but it's definitely been worse when it's worked hard.

Then today I pulled the intake to find a slow coolant leak (turned out to the the vent pipe). The V was filled with oil - no it's not coolant, it's definitely oil (see pics). I searched high and low and can't find any place where oil would be dripping into the V, however, I finally noticed that the intake gaskets are very wet in spots that seem to indicate they were allowing vapors to escape (see pics). I didn't get a picture of it but the intake ports on the heads were very dirty and in general the V is just filthy compared to other pics I've seen with the intake off. In general, my Cayenne is pretty clean so there is something going on here that's causing the grime. (Yes, I know the coolant has caused some of it, but that was more prevalent near the driver's side connection that was leaking)

Am I crazy to think that given no signs of oil dribbling into the V and the condition of the gaskets that it's getting enough leakage during heavy load to cause this?

I'm under a bit of a time crunch to get it put back together so I think I'm going to replace the leaking coolant vent hose, clean everything the best I can, replace the gaskets for now. In a few weeks I'll pull the intake again to do the thermostat, housing and water pump. I'll then see what the oil situation is.

Even if that fixes the "leak" this amount of oil in the intake is excessive right? So AOS or PCV?

Old 06-22-2021, 01:47 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

I'd certainly consider replacing the AOS - there is a test involving engine vacuum that can be done. I'm sure someone will give the details, but basically it involves removing the oil fill cap with the engine idling and seeing how much vacuum is present in the crankcase. Too much vacuum = bad AOS diaphragm. Happily on the 958 V8 the AOS is replaceable without replacing the valve cover.. which brings up another point. The early 2011 958 CTT right from the factory had a defective AOS - causing excessive oil use. I have the service records from the first owner (Porsche exec in Atlanta) - and numerous times - about every 500-1,000 miles the car was at the dealer getting a quart of oil. The AOS was replaced at around 25,000 miles and that was the end of the oil usage. The car never visited the dealer due to being low on oil again. That does sort of point to the AOS.

As far as the oil in the valley - valve cover gaskets are a possibility I guess, but also under boost conditions, I could imagine oil being pushed out past shrunken intake manifold gasket seals if there is excessive oil in the intake airstream.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:41 PM
SonofaBish
Instructor

Sorry it took so long to respond....

For me, I replaced the AOS and it didnt help anything. After a lot of searching, did a complete engine cleaning and degreasing, and it turned out it was the valve cover gaskets... I no longer have the CTT, but do miss it sometimes... the sport seats were the best seats ive ever sat in... wish I could put them in my GT-R
Old 06-25-2021, 10:05 AM
Radi
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

What is AOS & PCV ?
Old 12-18-2022, 01:41 PM
Versace
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AOS is Air/Oil Separator and PCV is Positive Crankcase Vent...

I have got the same problem, oil is dripping from my V. I took the hassle of removing the transmission without pulling the engine. It´s not that extremely complicated, but sometimes pretty bad as there is no space.
But the problem remained, and I thought It was because of an Aftermarket RMS seal (Elring). We pulled the Gearbox once again and installed a Porsche Original seal with special tool for installing. And it is dripping again. I do not know what else could it be. Where do I start now? I did the valve cover gaskets while we did the Variocam screws, but I used aftermarket ones as the Porsche ones are crazy expensive. The picture is showing the bell housing before we did the first RMS change.

Last edited by Versace; 12-18-2022 at 01:50 PM.

Quick Reply: 2011 CTT oil leak