Sponsored By:

Cargo Management System!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 07:33 PM
tmckenna
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts
Talking Cargo Management System!

So at the risk of sounding overly excited about a couple of plastic and metal bars... My Cargo Management System finally got here from Germany!

For those of you who don't know, my last car before my current 958.1 Turbo S was a supercharged 3.0 Audi A6 Avant(wagon). I actually really liked the car, and one of my favorite features, that I didn't even know it had until I showed up to buy it and drive it home, was the cargo management system. I didn't even know it was an option in cars for the most part and instantly loved the idea. Needless to say I used it all the time. I have a trunk organizer with some tools and cleaning supplies that it did full time duty holding in place, and it was great for really anything you put in the trunk because it doesnt allow them to slide forward or backward when accelerating or decelerating and in most case you can get a tight enough fit to prevent side to side sliding while turning. Unfortunately I was rear ended by a 22 year old kid that had just bought the 2000 Ford Focus for $400 and my A6 was totaled.

Fast forward a couple months and I sign all the paperwork on my Turbo S. The car was in Ohio and I'm located on Long Island (New York, East of NYC) so there was some down time between the final paperwork signing and the day that the shipping company picked the car up. In those days was when I first found out the the Cargo Management System was an option for the 958. I instantly emailed the salesman that I was dealing with and tried to finagle a deal. I had spent a bit more than I wanted to for the car and tried to use that as leverage. Unfortunately it was no dice. He offered to switch my shipping from enclosed to open trailer and use the difference to cover some of the cost of the parts for the CMS but I wasn't really saving money, just moving around costs.

Fortunately at the end of December someone on here shared a link to the full kit being sold on German Ebay, ebay.de for those who don't know. I jumped on it as soon as i saw it because it was a really good price even with shipping, and it all seemed to be in good condition. Long story short the kit shipped out December 30th, got caught up in customs, and after some prodding of the seller, was finally delivered today. Install was a breeze, especially because I had the "side strips" out to access the tow module I was messing with last weekend. Its just 4 bolts, one in each corner and then slotting the crossbars into the channels. Already loving it, and boy am I glad I kept the crossbar from my A6, its exactly the same thing and completely compatible!

(Probably wont run both bars and the strap at all times, but it is nice to have the option to secure things in different areas and/or "sections"

Before and After Pics:

The following 2 users liked this post by tmckenna:
dbv1 (02-01-2020), skiahh (01-29-2020)
Old 01-30-2020, 11:28 AM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts

i have this system. but only one bar & use it all the time. when not in use i just side the bar all the way back
the strap system is IMHO only semi-useful but actually mount both of them only on the right side.

i actually leave the clips on (not pictured in your system?) and keep VW cargo net in the spare area. I find usage for that net more often that i thought i would

o, one question, have you looked into any mat for under this?
there is an official Porsche mat (I think its even reversible) for around $260? that is narrow enough keep clearance for the rail system.
that said, I am often at the beach and vacuuming sand out of those rails is lots of fun let me tell you.

have fun
Old 01-30-2020, 11:32 AM
tmckenna
Pro

Originally Posted by coffeeisgood
i have this system. but only one bar & use it all the time. when not in use i just side the bar all the way back
the strap system is IMHO only semi-useful but actually mount both of them only on the right side.

i actually leave the clips on (not pictured in your system?) and keep VW cargo net in the spare area. I find usage for that net more often that i thought i would

o, one question, have you looked into any mat for under this?
there is an official Porsche mat (I think its even reversible) for around $260? that is narrow enough keep clearance for the rail system.
that said, I am often at the beach and vacuuming sand out of those rails is lots of fun let me tell you.

have fun
Yeh for the most part I think I'm only going to run 1 bar at most times. I kept the bar from my A6 so I have it readily available but in most cases I wont have a use for 2 bars. Same goes for the strap, that would probably be my last resort when it comes to usage. I imagine itll be pretty rare that the 2 rigid bars won't be sufficient.

As for the cargo mat, my car came with a weathertech cargo liner. I think I'm just going to trim the edges down to fit between the channels. Doesnt make sense for me to buy a new mat if I'm never going to be able to use this current one ever again.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:41 AM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts

i also noticed you took the middle headrest off

that was the 1st thing (i guess you would call 1st mod) I did...

it restricts rear visibility and really has no purpose. I am pretty sure it is only there for some sort of safety rating thing.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:44 AM
tmckenna
Pro

Originally Posted by coffeeisgood
i also noticed you took the middle headrest off

that was the 1st thing (i guess you would call 1st mod) I did...

it restricts rear visibility and really has no purpose. I am pretty sure it is only there for some sort of safety rating thing.
Yup, also my first "mod". Opens rear windshield visibility from like 20% to 100% lol. Was a no brainer for me after driving for like 1 day.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:04 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

I also use just one bar. The strap is kinda pointless, nothing I've needed to restrain would work with the strap. The cargo system's hooks (not shown in your picture) work but they're hilariously over-engineered.
Old 02-01-2020, 12:54 AM
tmckenna
Pro

Originally Posted by wkearney99
I also use just one bar. The strap is kinda pointless, nothing I've needed to restrain would work with the strap. The cargo system's hooks (not shown in your picture) work but they're hilariously over-engineered.
I actually found a good use for the strap because I had to take the passenger side channel out to remove the trunk panel and I wrapped the strap around my trunk organizer to hold it in place. Otherwise I have the bar hold it in place lol
The following users liked this post:
wkearney99 (02-01-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 11:52 AM
Sudar
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I couldn't drive 1 day without this management system lol. Bar is very useful, I use strap sometimes too making a loop for smaller items
Old 02-18-2023, 01:32 PM
FormerRotor
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Part Numbers: LoadSpace Management Accessories

Going to revive an old thread as this is the first that comes up when searching for info on the Cargo Management System:
For what it's worth, I wanted to purchase only the retractable strap & was having some trouble ID'ing the parts (as I don't have a use for the telescoping rod or additional hooks/bag, and certainly didn't want to spend $500 for a package I only needed ~20% of). For anyone's future reference, I believe the Part Numbers are as follows (be sure to verify before order)...

Full Accessory kit for Loadspace/Cargo/Trunk Management System (note: this assumes you already have the rails; see detailed diagram below if you need to retrofit the rail system): 95555150400
By Parts...
- 95555137801 - Retractable Strap (Labelled "Shade", I believe this to be the retractable strap)
- 95555137701 - Telescoping Rod
- 95555153900 - Eyelets
The Full Diagram can be found here for those hoping to retrofit the full system and/or confirm part numbers: http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=807-50

[keywords: Loadspace Management, Cargo Management, Trunk Management, Trunk Organizer, OEM Part Numbers]

Last edited by FormerRotor; 02-18-2023 at 01:43 PM.
lowmiler (02-18-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 05:42 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FormerRotor
...as I don't have a use for the telescoping rod...
Seriously? That's the BEST part of the system.
Old 02-18-2023, 06:55 PM
FormerRotor
Instructor

Seriously? That's the BEST part of the system.
Ha! I definitely see the usefulness, but it doesn’t suit our purpose: our CD serves as the primary hauler for our not-so-teacup pup. Poor dude needs a seat down and all the room he can get. Would be a pain to remove the rod every time he’s in the car.
Old 02-19-2023, 08:47 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FormerRotor
Ha! I definitely see the usefulness, but it doesn’t suit our purpose: our CD serves as the primary hauler for our not-so-teacup pup. Poor dude needs a seat down and all the room he can get. Would be a pain to remove the rod every time he’s in the car.
I hear you. As for removal, it's absolutely no challenge or effort to remove it. Just press relatively lightly down onto it, slide it toward the larger key sections of the track and lift it out. I think it weighs less than a pound, and slides closed to about half it's length. It really is a great option for keeping groceries and such confined toward the seatbacks.

So you're looking for the hooks to secure a leash then? Because I couldn't see the strap surviving even a minute with a dog. The hooks are pretty robust but they are hinged. That is the pad eye flips up from the base. The pins through it are decent but I think they're engineered more to hold a pulling load in a stable direction, not a dog constantly yanking back/forth from different angles. I think they're tough enough to handle it but wouldn't expect anything with moving parts to last 'forever' in that sort of duty cycle.
Old 02-19-2023, 08:58 AM
SSDVC
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 145 Posts

I have this system AND the mat that fits in between the rails. I don't really care for the mat, as it doesn't have any "grip" to it, either grip to the carpet underneath or anything on top of the mat. It is a fairly slick surface on both sides. I did use the system yesterday and it works very well, including the retractable strap "bar", which can fit around uneven objects. I think with this and a net system, you can practically lock down anything.
FormerRotor (02-19-2023)
Old 02-19-2023, 09:17 AM
FormerRotor
Instructor

So you're looking for the hooks to secure a leash then? Because I couldn't see the strap surviving even a minute with a dog.
Dog’s tether can be buckled to a seatbelt or clipped to an eyelet on the cargo system. I would hope the Porsche eyelets are at least as strong as those that come standard in BMWs. FWIW, the (120 lb) dog and I were in a head-on collission at 50-ish in my wife’s X5d (which is how we wound up making the switch to the Cayenne); ~12 airbags deployed, engine dropped out the front of the car, etc. The eyelet held up to his weight, clip on his tether deformed but held, and we both walked away.

Just for the sake of saying it: I strongly suggest anyone driving with a dog gets a cage divider for the rear and/or keeps the dog harnessed and tethered.

Regarding the cargo management, I actually dug into the part numbers for the sake of the strap which looked like it could be used with both poles on the right side to hold a cargo box/luggage/groceries/etc, while the pup is on the left. (Another post above mentioned the same). Think it will suit the purpose?
Old 02-19-2023, 12:03 PM
auzivision
Drifting

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

I use VW cargo blocks with the standard floor. They are simple, practical, and have plenty of grip.

https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen__A...00061166C.html

Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: Cargo Management System!