Rear door won't unlock

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2020, 03:55 PM
Jelleyman
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear door won't unlock

Hi All,

After some help and advice as the rear passenger door won't unlock. I have tried off the key and the button on the center console.
Does anyone know how i can get the door open to allow me to remove the door card to investigate?

Cheers
Phil
Old 02-23-2020, 04:45 PM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts

The buttons on the door in question. or the driver door, do not work?

Can you roll the window down with the controls on the door in question - i.e. do other door functions work?
Old 02-23-2020, 04:49 PM
Jelleyman
Intermediate

everything else on the door seems to work, the window works from the switch on the actual door and from the switch on the drivers door. Also the light in the door tray works.

Cheers
Phil
Old 02-23-2020, 04:56 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Can you hear the actuator when you try to unlock it using either the button or the key fob?
Old 02-23-2020, 05:00 PM
Jelleyman
Intermediate

No there is no noise from the actuator, from either the key fob or the button on the console.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:06 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Is it warm or cold currently? I had one that was intermittent when the weather was cold before it finally failed. Though I could still open it using the interior handle.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:10 PM
Jelleyman
Intermediate

its about 9 degrees Celsius here at the moment so not too cold, but can't open it from the inside either :-(
Old 02-23-2020, 06:27 PM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts

On the driver door, the cap pops off the handle so you can insert the key to unlock - do the rear doors have this feature?
Old 02-23-2020, 10:03 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Not such luck as far as a hidden key slot on the other doors.

The interior handle is a mechanical connection so unless the cable popped off it would normally open the door.

No real way to get all the screws out of the interior panel with the door closed and that's what's needed in order to lift the panel up to remove it after loosening all the retaining clips.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:39 PM
H2Ocooledesteem
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Door lock actuator. My rear driver side took a crap on me and I’m about to replace it
Old 02-23-2020, 10:57 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,761 Likes on 1,650 Posts

Hi Phil, when was the last time the door was opened?

Was it opened to exit vehicle or to get something from the car? Which handle was used last? Interior or exterior?

If it was the exterior? try to lift the handle and let it go real quick, letting it slam back into it's seat. It might fall back into position to allow the lock mechanism to operate.

Also try to do it while hitting the unlock button on the door.

Pull on the handle, hit unock and let the handle go.

Pull on the handle, let it go and hit unlock at the same time.

Old 02-24-2020, 02:45 AM
Jelleyman
Intermediate

It was last opened from the outside, i'll give it a test later when i get home thanks
Old 02-24-2020, 04:57 PM
Jelleyman
Intermediate

Ok so i tried it this morning on my way to work and still wouldn't open but then tried it when i got home and the door is working perfectly now. So will wait till the weekend and strip it and hopefully find something.

Cheers for all the advise so far

Phil
Old 02-24-2020, 05:28 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

That's good news. If you don't already have one I'd highly suggest an AllDataDIY.com subscription as it's got all the details needed to replace the actuator.

BTW - My interior panel was a royal PITA to pull loose the first time.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:52 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 113 Posts

I recently went through this - symptoms were door would open from the inside but not the outside - until you open it from the inside then you could open it from the outside.

Turned out mine was a mechanical failure rather than electrical - i.e. the electrical actuator would unlock the door but the mechanical mechanism would prevent it from opening from the outside.

R&R was tricky but not overly difficult although be careful with the two triple square bolts they are very shallow and have red locktite on them so they strip easily. One striped on me so I used a Grabit bolt extractor - worked flawlessly.

Brief instructions for the rear (either LHS or RHS) are as follows:

Tools required:
- Ratchet set - metric
- Torx sockets - male
- Torx sockets - female

1. Remove door panel (follow YouTube videos - plenty out there) - notes from me: be careful of the plastic black + silver trim it pops out then you pull it back to release it and then out.
2. Unlock the plastic subframe with 13mm + remove silver torx bolts holding it in place
3. Pull off black plugs to expose window holders and wind down window until the two torx bolts can be seen (aprox 200mm down) use drivers controls to wind down window with car on ignition
4. Undo two torx bolts with female torx sockets - NOTE: these are reverse bolts so to undo them put your ratchet in FORWARD them and to tighten them put your ratchet in REVERSE
5. Once undone slide the window up and tape it over the door frame to prevent it from sliding down
6. Undo the two torx screws at the top of the door holding the regulator in place - mine were covered by two circular pieces of tape
7. Grab a cable tie and hang the sub frame on the door out of the way but don't completely remove it as the rubber wire grommet to the door control unit will stop you - remove it just enough to allow access to the door lock actuator
8. Undo triple square bolts from door jamb - unlock plastic frame from the outer door handle from inside the door
9. Remove actuator - note outside door cable + electrical cable will still be attached
10. Remove electrical plug - remove outer door handle cable - this is locked in place dont try to just pull up - you'll break it - needs to be rotated then it will unlock DO NOT USE FORCE to remove it like other Porsche actuators - I broke mine and had to replace it - more notes on this to come
11. Remove actuator - installation is all those steps in reverse
12. Also note I needed to adjust my door latch when I installed a new actuator as the alignment was a bit off.

Any questions - please ask - some parts might seem vague but you'll understand when you get it apart - did it a few weeks ago so i'm sure thats 99% of the steps

Last edited by dan_189; 02-27-2020 at 05:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear door won't unlock