Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Oldest Original Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2021, 10:57 PM
TheUnscented
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts

The battery in my '12 CTT was 8 years & 133k miles when I replaced it. No failure, but it was time. Took the same replacement H8 AGM battery as my 2009 M3--which lasted 10 years before failing. I'm impressed.
Old 11-20-2021, 08:46 PM
dbv1
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 79 Posts

Just replaced my battery, 10.5 years and 70K. OBD scan tool reported max charge level was 60% and it wouldn’t run the head unit for more than 5 min with the engine off so it was time. The OEM unit was Banner.
Old 11-21-2021, 10:33 AM
cathalferris
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm just after changing my own battery out.
What came out was a Varta AGM 7P0 915 105 D 12v 105Ah 580A 950A, date code: 05/11 (!!) - and it was the OEM installation battery, as the carpets were not yet cut.
What went is is a Varta Silver Dynamic AGM 605 901 095, also 12v 105Ah 950A so it should be considered equivalent or better than the OEM.

I did not see any specific failure modes with the previous battery - the starts were not particularly lazy, though the start-stop was not always activating, and the resting voltage pre-start listed was about 11.8V with the normal draw on it.
The start with the new battery is definitely a little quicker for sure, it'll remain to be seen if the start-stop activated more often now.

The main reason for swapping out was that I knew the battery is > 10 years of age, and while it's starting every time at the moment, it is parked in an underground parking that doesn't get particularly cold. I thought that if I had the car parked somewhere outside for a night or two (e.g. when visiting friends in Germany for a weekend) that the cold-soak would show up as no-start. At least changing the battery now will prevent that.

I think ten years and six months without failure in a Cayenne Turbo with 135,000 km on it is not too bad a lifespan. Certainly beats any other battery I ever had.

Last edited by cathalferris; 11-21-2021 at 11:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jishtu (09-08-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 03:30 PM
MountainStone
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Just replaced my original battery (had to cut the carpet) in my CTT built in 03/11. Oddly, it was not labeled as a Varta but as ‘Banner’. Twelve years old and finally started to give slow-enough cranks that I no longer trusted it. I’m impressed.
Old 01-14-2022, 03:46 PM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts

Impressive!
Old 01-14-2022, 04:22 PM
VarioSpam
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

All impressive stats! I'm pretty sure my 2011 has the original as there's no record of replacement. It is outside where temp is about 5-10C. I fully charge it every few weeks. Seems to be fine. It's odd because I would have thought the Auto Start-Stop would wear these batteries out quickly!
Old 09-08-2022, 10:39 AM
jishtu
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Varta 105Ah silver dynamic - BEM Code?

Originally Posted by cathalferris
I'm just after changing my own battery out.
What came out was a Varta AGM 7P0 915 105 D 12v 105Ah 580A 950A, date code: 05/11 (!!) - and it was the OEM installation battery, as the carpets were not yet cut.
What went is is a Varta Silver Dynamic AGM 605 901 095, also 12v 105Ah 950A so it should be considered equivalent or better than the OEM.

I did not see any specific failure modes with the previous battery - the starts were not particularly lazy, though the start-stop was not always activating, and the resting voltage pre-start listed was about 11.8V with the normal draw on it.
The start with the new battery is definitely a little quicker for sure, it'll remain to be seen if the start-stop activated more often now.

The main reason for swapping out was that I knew the battery is > 10 years of age, and while it's starting every time at the moment, it is parked in an underground parking that doesn't get particularly cold. I thought that if I had the car parked somewhere outside for a night or two (e.g. when visiting friends in Germany for a weekend) that the cold-soak would show up as no-start. At least changing the battery now will prevent that.

I think ten years and six months without failure in a Cayenne Turbo with 135,000 km on it is not too bad a lifespan. Certainly beats any other battery I ever had.

Amazing stuff. Ordered the same Varta for my 2016S 4.2D today since i have to keep the car out in swedish winter and start aux heater remotely which does not really run now on the OEM battery. My questions are that how is your feedback since the change, and did you do a coding after the change? I do not seem to find BEM codes on aftermarket Varta batteries. It seems BEM code only comes with OEM batteries.
Old 09-12-2022, 12:00 PM
cathalferris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jishtu
Amazing stuff. Ordered the same Varta for my 2016S 4.2D today since i have to keep the car out in swedish winter and start aux heater remotely which does not really run now on the OEM battery. My questions are that how is your feedback since the change, and did you do a coding after the change? I do not seem to find BEM codes on aftermarket Varta batteries. It seems BEM code only comes with OEM batteries.
Since I did the change, it's been pretty invisible to me really. The stop/start does appear to activate more often - but the weather has been significantly warmer since that time as well meaning less requirement to warm everything up. My stop start will restart the engine after maybe a minute of being off, usually to run the AC based on the reports in the code reading. The actual start process has appeared to be faster and at a higher pitch.

I did no post-install battery-specific coding, I didn't see the point.
Old 09-12-2022, 04:50 PM
jishtu
Intermediate

Since I did the change, it's been pretty invisible to me really. The stop/start does appear to activate more often - but the weather has been significantly warmer since that time as well meaning less requirement to warm everything up. My stop start will restart the engine after maybe a minute of being off, usually to run the AC based on the reports in the code reading. The actual start process has appeared to be faster and at a higher pitch.

I did no post-install battery-specific coding, I didn't see the point.
i see, did you use an external power supply to maintain voltage while doing the swap? i heard the memory on the end positions of sunroof and windows may become an issue?
Old 09-13-2022, 04:02 AM
cathalferris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jishtu
i see, did you use an external power supply to maintain voltage while doing the swap? i heard the memory on the end positions of sunroof and windows may become an issue?
Oh for sure. I had a "spare" ~12v battery I have for use in my ham radio portable activities, and I connected it to the jumpstart posts under the bonnet for the duration of the battery change activity. No lost memories, and no lost positions.
I do remember how to set the window positions and the procedure is also (iirc) detailed in the owner's manual for both so I wasn't particularly worried if the power did drop other than the inconvenience of resetting the positions of the moving things.
Old 09-13-2022, 04:09 AM
jishtu
Intermediate

Oh for sure. I had a "spare" ~12v battery I have for use in my ham radio portable activities, and I connected it to the jumpstart posts under the bonnet for the duration of the battery change activity. No lost memories, and no lost positions.
I do remember how to set the window positions and the procedure is also (iirc) detailed in the owner's manual for both so I wasn't particularly worried if the power did drop other than the inconvenience of resetting the positions of the moving things.
Great! Thanks for confirming this! I will try next week, i have a CTEK 7amp battery maintainer and a iCarsoft POR2 scan tool with battery arriving tomorrow. Lets see how it goes for me. My trouble with the existing battery (2015 dated 105ah 580cca in a Cayenne S 4.2D 2016) is that it loses voltage quickly when i run the parking heater (diesel version oem) in frozen conditions, and when i come back to start the vehicle afterwards, it throws in trouble codes on PAS etc. I have been monitoring my current battery for about 2 yrs for voltage behavior and im more than convinced that it needs change. Even though some say its to early for 2015 to be changing.

Many thanks! Will post my side of the story!
Old 08-02-2023, 03:33 AM
pc955
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this the original I pulled from my 955 yesterday?

I’m not sure if it’s a replacement or original start battery from a 03 turbo, sorry if idiot post is in wrong thread in 958 section
Old 08-02-2023, 04:15 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by pc955

I’m not sure if it’s a replacement or original start battery from a 03 turbo, sorry if idiot post is in wrong thread in 958 section
what’s written on the negative post?
Old 08-04-2023, 08:16 AM
BlueJay73
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm glad to see this thread, because I have a 2013 (I bought it in 2017) and changed my battery in early 2023. The carpet over the battery does indeed have a few little tabs that have to be cut. I found my tabs had never been cut, meaning the battery had never come out (unless the entire carpet had been changed, which I seriously doubt). I could not understand how this could be the original battery. 10 years?! My rule of thumb has always been car batteries will last about 4 years, and if you have a 5 year old battery you better be prepared for a dead battery at any time. So this thread corroborates what I saw. These batteries can last 10 years!! Unbelievable!
The following users liked this post:
KBell (08-04-2023)
Old 01-24-2024, 09:31 PM
dctech
Cruisin'

Received 24 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 11.5 years

Wow…I couldn’t believe it either today when I needed to cut the carpet tabs. Mine was original with a CW 34 of 2012 build date! Cranking was starting to get just a bit sluggish. Happy retirement!

Last edited by dctech; 01-24-2024 at 10:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Oldest Original Battery?