Wet carpet after rain

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 09:34 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Wet carpet after rain

My CTT is usually garaged but we actually epoxied our floors this weekend so the cars had to sit outside and still remain there until tomorrow.

Unfortunately we got hit with some pretty intense rainfall in the past few days and I was dreading finding my carpet soaked again. Well it did happen unfortunately. Went out this morning and found that the rear passenger side is wet to the touch.

Now I know the source of most leaks is the AC line in the front but I've taken care of that one plus the car was sitting so AC wasn't running. I've cleared the sunroof drain lines in the past (I do have the glass roof on this vehicle) and have also cleared the drains in the front wheel wells.

So what am I missing now and how do I best troubleshoot where to find a leak? This cannot be good for this car as who knows how much water is back there for me to be feeling in on the carpet.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:55 AM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

rear seating carpet wetness points to the sunroof drains. check all four corner drains. More likely than not, the drain hose has become disconnected from the sunroof tray on that side.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:46 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

Fernando..

I'd suggest you become familiar with the Cayenne DIY subforum - https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-diy-224/

I believe there are 3-4 detailed threads on cleaning all the drains on your Cayenne. The ones that are likely plugged up are the cowl drains (that area just ahead of the real firewall where some electronics lives.) Not at all uncommon. Mine get cleared out yearly. While it might be a sunroof drain - I expect that suggestion is based on JR's personal experiences. From messages here - the probability of plugged drains is: #1 - cowl drains; #2 - AC drain; #3 - Sunroof drains. #1 is especially likely this time of year since there is lots of pollen falling - and the pollen strands from oak-trees are perfectly designed to plug up Cayenne cowl drains - so it could plug up rapidly even if you've cleaned it before. I

f those drains still have the rubber ducks-bill on them (you'll understand when you see them) - unless you ford water 2" deep regularly - I'd suggest removing them, and toss'm in the spare-tire well. They just pull out of the firewall.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:09 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by CAVU
rear seating carpet wetness points to the sunroof drains. check all four corner drains. More likely than not, the drain hose has become disconnected from the sunroof tray on that side.
This is one I had not thought of yet so thank you for bringing to my attention. Raining again so will likely see more moisture on the carpet tomorrow. Thankfully it'll go back in the garage in less than 24 hours.

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Fernando..

I'd suggest you become familiar with the Cayenne DIY subforum - https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-diy-224/

I believe there are 3-4 detailed threads on cleaning all the drains on your Cayenne. The ones that are likely plugged up are the cowl drains (that area just ahead of the real firewall where some electronics lives.) Not at all uncommon. Mine get cleared out yearly. While it might be a sunroof drain - I expect that suggestion is based on JR's personal experiences. From messages here - the probability of plugged drains is: #1 - cowl drains; #2 - AC drain; #3 - Sunroof drains. #1 is especially likely this time of year since there is lots of pollen falling - and the pollen strands from oak-trees are perfectly designed to plug up Cayenne cowl drains - so it could plug up rapidly even if you've cleaned it before. I

f those drains still have the rubber ducks-bill on them (you'll understand when you see them) - unless you ford water 2" deep regularly - I'd suggest removing them, and toss'm in the spare-tire well. They just pull out of the firewall.
Thank you for the guidance! I've actually cleared out the cowl drains in the past and actually snipped the ends because it did appear to be a potential point of blockage. I would hope there wouldn't be a lot of debris in there because again this vehicle is kept in a garage unless it is being driven. But I'll check out the DIY section and study the threads there.

I took the car for a drive to run errands and when I stopped at the first place I noticed there was a deluge of water coming down behind the front passenger tire. So I imagine there's a drain line there that this water made it to. Now I have to vacuum up the excess water and let it all air out while I find the cause of it.

Appreciate the responses guys!

Quick Reply: Wet carpet after rain