Sponsored By:

V8 variocam bolt replace

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 02:08 PM
loi Hong fain
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V8 variocam bolt replace

Hi, regarding the variocam bolt issue, I am plan to replace by myself and anybody done before?
Where can find the bolt?
Thanks
Old 06-04-2020, 04:42 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

if you dont' know where you can find them, should you be trying to replace them?
Old 06-04-2020, 07:41 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Follow the service manual AllDataDIY.com you should be fine. Buy the bolt from any Porsche dealership.
Old 06-05-2020, 01:01 AM
loi Hong fain
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
if you dont' know where you can find them, should you be trying to replace them?
Cause I already open the valve cover, think to replaces along..
Old 06-05-2020, 01:05 AM
loi Hong fain
7th Gear

Originally Posted by mark944turbo
Follow the service manual AllDataDIY.com you should be fine. Buy the bolt from any Porsche dealership.
Thanks for your reply and it is possible to buy online? I bought the cayenne from used not brand new and I don't think dealer will responsible for that recall.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:38 AM
Leadfoot_mf
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

It's listed in the sticky above. If your car falls under the campaign then Porsche will fix it free.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:51 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by Leadfoot_mf
It's listed in the sticky above. If your car falls under the campaign then Porsche will fix it free.
A US based recall has no application to a car located in Kuala Lumpur.

There is a technical info bulletin that tells the mechanics how to replace the bolts. The new bolts are available as a kit from a dealer, and as long as you do them one at a time (torqued correctly) there shouldn't be any issues with timing. That's providing none of your existing bolts have already failed.

What's the manufacturing date of your Cayenne? Is it an S or a Turbo. And I have no idea of the dealership situation in Kuala Lumpur -- but would love to hear how this turns out.
Old 06-06-2020, 01:38 AM
Shadows89
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

What about the variocam bolt for a 2016 turbo s?
Old 06-06-2020, 03:05 AM
loi Hong fain
7th Gear

Originally Posted by deilenberger
A US based recall has no application to a car located in Kuala Lumpur.

There is a technical info bulletin that tells the mechanics how to replace the bolts. The new bolts are available as a kit from a dealer, and as long as you do them one at a time (torqued correctly) there shouldn't be any issues with timing. That's providing none of your existing bolts have already failed.

What's the manufacturing date of your Cayenne? Is it an S or a Turbo. And I have no idea of the dealership situation in Kuala Lumpur -- but would love to hear how this turns out.
Hi, is a wonderful S, it is possible to buy the bolt kit in your country, I plan to do it by myself. What I need is just the bolt..

Old 06-06-2020, 12:34 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by loi Hong fain
Hi, is a wonderful S, it is possible to buy the bolt kit in your country, I plan to do it by myself. What I need is just the bolt..
Can you upload pictures of what you are looking at specifically to replace. From personal experience and this forum, I think I know, but in order for us to help you make sure you get the correct bolts/kit, some pics would be very helpful.
Old 06-06-2020, 01:41 PM
loi Hong fain
7th Gear

Originally Posted by CAVU
Can you upload pictures of what you are looking at specifically to replace. From personal experience and this forum, I think I know, but in order for us to help you make sure you get the correct bolts/kit, some pics would be very helpful.

Old 06-06-2020, 05:36 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Yes, we are speaking about the same parts. I can find the part number 999.067.803.30 is in the AH08 Recall Campaign https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...7V368-7771.pdf

If you Google 99906780330 you will find a number of businesses selling those.

Very good video done by a Porsche Tech
Some who removed theirs did run into extraction issues, but I see you have already losened on. Be sure a review the AH08. They talk about just loosening 1 at a time.

Good luck.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:22 AM
loi Hong fain
7th Gear

Originally Posted by CAVU
Yes, we are speaking about the same parts. I can find the part number 999.067.803.30 is in the AH08 Recall Campaign https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...7V368-7771.pdf

If you Google 99906780330 you will find a number of businesses selling those.

Very good video done by a Porsche Tech https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJUGJ_4ZAwY Some who removed theirs did run into extraction issues, but I see you have already losened on. Be sure a review the AH08. They talk about just loosening 1 at a time.

Good luck.
Hu
​​​​​Hi, yes for sure and I already watch from youtube couples time.
Please take note for all V8 engine due to the bolt issue, it was surprise me cause I just used my only 2 finger to loosen all the bolt with L torx key.. (replace the bolt one by one) don't get me wrong. Luckily is not daily used and with very low mileage
Old 06-07-2020, 11:23 AM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by loi Hong fain
Hu
​​​​​Hi, yes for sure and I already watch from youtube couples time.
Please take note for all V8 engine due to the bolt issue, it was surprise me cause I just used my only 2 finger to loosen all the bolt with L torx key.. (replace the bolt one by one) don't get me wrong. Luckily is not daily used and with very low mileage
Your are truly lucky. You may already be aware of this. Per AH08, and I think it is cited in P-Tech's video, if any of those screws are found loose, then it is also becomes a camshaft controller replacement. From page 8 of the previously attached AH08.

"If one or more fastening screws for the camshaft controller have already become loose and can be unscrewed and removed by hand, the camshaft controller must be replaced. In this case, first replace the fastening screws for the camshaft controller for cylinder bank 5-8 as described in Step 2 and then replace the affected camshaft controller  Technical Information 'AH0800 Replacing camshaft controller'."

Simply replacing with updated screws will not solve the problem. It appears that there was also something amiss in the camshaft controller mounting design/production that goes beyond the screws.

you may have already done this, It might be worth checking if your VIN is covered by the recall. Even though it was not worldwide, Japan and China were included. https://recall.porsche.com/prod/pag/...f/VIN?ReadForm
Old 06-07-2020, 01:01 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,756 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Everytime I've read something from Porsche regarding the car, it's come to be true. Things like one time use bolts Yes, they truly are one time use.

Pay attention to Porsche when they tell ya somehting. It's for a reason.

Quick Reply: V8 variocam bolt replace