Sponsored By:

PCM 3.1 SSD upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 03:52 PM
cbrock
6th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrendonSF
I unfortunately did not have any luck after 4 clone attempts. Every time the drive went back in the car none of the subsequent functionality worked. I'm pretty tech saavy and was hopeful that this would be an easy one, but looks like I didn't get that lucky. I may try a different cloning hardware unit, though I'm not hopeful that will do the trick.
I did receive an error for one of the partitions during cloning, and suspect that is likely the culprit. I ran checkdsk on the Toshiba drive and no problems were flagged, but should probably scan the toshiba drive for bad sectors. That said, the Toshiba unit is working great for me at present.
It sounds like you’re on the right track with scanning the source drive for bad sectors and letting chkdsk do its thing.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:27 PM
BrewDude
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

So just did the clone with my StarTech cloner. Everything worked as advertised. Went ahead and did a reset of the PCM as well, but am noticing that it's not picking up my USB stick. Might be the fact that it's a 256 GB USB 3.0 version. Resorting to my old 64 GB USB 2.0 to try and alleviate the issue.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:46 PM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

I have just done the upgrade to SSD but I honestly don't see any difference. It is not like my PCM was slow to begin with but I have done this upgrade because I have seen people reporting failures on their original HDD drive so I made the clone to SSD and saved the HDD drive in safe area just incase I end up needing it again.

OP, what exactly did you notice the difference in speed? is it more in Navi?

I also have JayeAuto installed but thats running on different interface/drive so switching to SSD wont make any difference for JayeAuto
Old 07-07-2020, 06:26 PM
LittleBitBent
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Chkdsk will not work entirely, because the drive is not using Windows -based partitions (ditto for Mac utilities). The underlying OS is Qnx (yay Blackberry!) , which uses its own partition structures. The first time I tried to clone the drive, I was using a Windows-based application running on Win10, and even though the app reported a successful clone, it didn't work, and the PCM simply could not see the partition that contains the Jukebox, likely because my app wasn't completely compatible.

That's why I ended up going the Clonezilla route, because it boots into a shell that can do a sector-by-sector clone of the drive. Probably very similar to how dedicated cloning enclosures work.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:09 PM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by BrewDude
So just did the clone with my StarTech cloner. Everything worked as advertised. Went ahead and did a reset of the PCM as well, but am noticing that it's not picking up my USB stick. Might be the fact that it's a 256 GB USB 3.0 version. Resorting to my old 64 GB USB 2.0 to try and alleviate the issue.
pretty sure your USB stick also has to be formatted correctly
there is another thread how to get music into your jukebox

that said before I do this upgrade, you just reminded me to do a vehicle handover reset and delete all my music
while it would be nice to copy over my music with the clone, honestly it would just be too large of a copy/clone and take too long
i would rather just have the base system, then load my music after
Old 07-09-2020, 09:51 PM
BrewDude
Racer

Originally Posted by coffeeisgood
pretty sure your USB stick also has to be formatted correctly
there is another thread how to get music into your jukebox
The USB stick was working fine previously. I did not have anything loaded to the jukebox to begin with. Everything is still working from the USB drive, just took a little bit of time for the PCM to catalog the database and read all the files.

Old 07-09-2020, 11:12 PM
LittleBitBent
Instructor

Originally Posted by BrewDude
The USB stick was working fine previously. I did not have anything loaded to the jukebox to begin with. Everything is still working from the USB drive, just took a little bit of time for the PCM to catalog the database and read all the files.
I found the same thing. When I inserted a USB stick with music on it (for the first time after the upgrade) it had to rebuild all of the jukebox indexes. Then it worked fine afterwards.

copy from the stick to the Jukebox was WAAYYYY faster too!
Old 07-09-2020, 11:45 PM
BrewDude
Racer

Originally Posted by LittleBitBent
copy from the stick to the Jukebox was WAAYYYY faster too!
Did you find a storage capacity increase to the jukebox? The original drive was 100 GB, I went to a 150 GB SSD. Haven't copied anything over to the jukebox. I'm wondering too if the 10000 file limit is still present as well...
Old 07-13-2020, 05:12 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Am trying to replace the IDE drive in my 3.1 PCM. purchased a kingspec 64gb ide ssd to replace the 40gb toshiba IDE. Have cloned the drive using clonezilla (Device to Device). Clone states it is successful, but when I install in the car, I only get “loading map” when selecting the Map.

Any special tips for Clonezilla? Am basically using the default settings, but can’t get it to load the Nav.

Swapped in the old HDD and the nav loads, so I assume the problem is somewhere in the cloning.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:39 PM
LittleBitBent
Instructor

Are you sure it's only a 40GB Toshiba drive? Mine's a 100GB drive, and you have to go larger in order for the partitions to fit.

I had the same problem (with maps not loading) when I first cloned it (not using Clonezilla). When I cloned via Clonezilla, I followed these instrucitons, and it worked:

https://clonezilla.org/show-live-doc..._to_disk_clone
Old 07-13-2020, 05:45 PM
LittleBitBent
Instructor

@Brewdude - I did not find any increases to the jukebox size. I imagine that if I spent enough time mucking around with partitions, I could probably have figured out how to increase the extents, but I decided against it. Plus, with Carplay now installed, there's no way I would ever fill the Jukebox.
The following users liked this post:
BrewDude (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 06:14 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Are you sure it's only a 40GB Toshiba drive? Mine's a 100GB drive, and you have to go larger in order for the partitions to fit.

I had the same problem (with maps not loading) when I first cloned it (not using Clonezilla). When I cloned via Clonezilla, I followed these instrucitons, and it worked:

https://clonezilla.org/show-live-doc..._to_disk_clone
It's definitely a 40Gb. MK4050GAC. It's an earlier PCM 3.1 from a 2010 Panamera. NO jukebox, so I think it is mainly used for Navigation maps. That seems to be the case, as everything on the car seems to work except navigation when the drive is removed from the PCM.

I'll read through the clonezilla doc again and see if I missed something.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:18 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 344 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Murcia
It's definitely a 40Gb. MK4050GAC. It's an earlier PCM 3.1 from a 2010 Panamera. NO jukebox, so I think it is mainly used for Navigation maps. That seems to be the case, as everything on the car seems to work except navigation when the drive is removed from the PCM.

I'll read through the clonezilla doc again and see if I missed something.
Please post your progress. I have the same drive. Mine is a 2012 CTT. But I sent mine to a guy back east to have the drive cloned for me. But if he can't do it I may have to try myself.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:09 PM
BrewDude
Racer

@Brewdude - I did not find any increases to the jukebox size. I imagine that if I spent enough time mucking around with partitions, I could probably have figured out how to increase the extents, but I decided against it. Plus, with Carplay now installed, there's no way I would ever fill the Jukebox.
Makes sense. If you're cloning a drive it's not taking into account any other space than what the source drive has on it. You'd have to resize the partition by other means.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:37 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Followed the Clonezilla instructions to the letter and still stuck on "Loading Maps" when I try to bring up Maps. Thinking it might be the SSD driver is not compatible in some way with the PCM? Not sure.

For reference, this is the drive I bought.

Amazon Amazon

Will probably try a different drive next. Might buy a few to speed up the process.

Quick Reply: PCM 3.1 SSD upgrade