Sponsored By:

PCM 3.1 SSD upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 08:44 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by twodollardoug
Please post your progress. I have the same drive. Mine is a 2012 CTT. But I sent mine to a guy back east to have the drive cloned for me. But if he can't do it I may have to try myself.
Will keep the thread updated. Please share also if the cloned drive works for you. Would be interested what model of drive you get back.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:08 AM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

For reference, here is the datasheet for the stock IDE drive that is in my PCM. The most unique attributes appear to be the extended operating temperature range and shock resistance over more standard HDDs. Was looking for the details on the controller to see if it was different than the SSD.

https://toshiba.semicon-storage.com/...-MKxx50GAC.pdf
Old 07-14-2020, 01:30 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 344 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Murcia
Will keep the thread updated. Please share also if the cloned drive works for you. Would be interested what model of drive you get back.
Bad news, he couldn't clone my hdd. And is sending my original back. It sounds like you got farther than he did. From what I understand he tried to use a USB adapter and clonezilla wouldn't recognize the drive.
Old 07-15-2020, 02:09 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Those of you who have Jukebox and have done this - does it open up more space in the Jukebox for more music?
Old 07-15-2020, 08:12 PM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacked 987
Those of you who have Jukebox and have done this - does it open up more space in the Jukebox for more music?
No it doesn’t.

I also started to notice some times my Jukebox doesn’t load on the system. Anyone with this issue after thr upgrade ?
Old 07-17-2020, 10:11 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Another Update I got a new SSD in the mail today, and for a control in these experiments, a new Toshiba HDD of the same model as the stock. The SSD is a 64GB Transcend. Cloned successfully. Installed and still no GPS/Maps.

Ok, so to test whether there is something wrong with my cloning process, I turned to the new Toshiba IDE HDD. Cloned, installed, and viola! Maps and GPS work. Ok, so the cloning process is correct, it's just the PCM that doesn't like the IDE SSDs. I'll keep trying, but I ran into another problem.

All of this was instigated by the SXM update of death that sent my PCM into 2 minute reboots. Hypotheses here suggested the HDD was failing and it was coincidental that the SXM issue happened at the same time. However, turns out the PCM reboots every 2 minutes with the Brand New cloned HDD installed also. So, either the cloning process cloned some corrupt data over from the old to the new drive, or there is something else going on. I just wish I could get terminal access to this damn thing to see some of the journals.

Not sure what my next move is. Maybe pull the SXM card and see if that stops the reboots with the HDD installed. Going to sleep on this one.

Old 07-18-2020, 09:42 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Pulled the XM card from inside the radio today to see if the reboots would continue with just the HDD installed. Removing the XM card eliminated the reboots.

With that result, it seems I can have either Navigation with the hard drive in, and no XM, or XM and no hard drive and navigation. I use XM more than navigation, but don’t like the idea of not having the factory navigation. With the problem XM caused, and how unwilling they have been to work with me/us, I’m not too keen on giving them business.

Currently contemplating getting the CarPlay add on as an option. I understand it involves eliminating XM, which is fine if CarPlay makes it easier to stream from the phone. Also curious if that will allow me to keep the hard drive and navigation installed, or if it will reboot with CarPlay and HDD/nav.

Old 07-20-2020, 12:42 PM
LittleBitBent
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Pulled the XM card from inside the radio today to see if the reboots would continue with just the HDD installed. Removing the XM card eliminated the reboots.

With that result, it seems I can have either Navigation with the hard drive in, and no XM, or XM and no hard drive and navigation. I use XM more than navigation, but don’t like the idea of not having the factory navigation. With the problem XM caused, and how unwilling they have been to work with me/us, I’m not too keen on giving them business.

Currently contemplating getting the CarPlay add on as an option. I understand it involves eliminating XM, which is fine if CarPlay makes it easier to stream from the phone. Also curious if that will allow me to keep the hard drive and navigation installed, or if it will reboot with CarPlay and HDD/nav.
Mike - I"m not sure about your version of the PCM, but when I installed my Carplay retrofit, I did not have to remove the XM card - I specified (at order time) that my PCM had the XM card, and they sent a couple of extra risers that allowed the Joyeauto daughterboard to sit above the XM card. It's a snug fit, but I didn't lose any functionality. FWIW, now that I have CarPlay, I have never again used the factory nav.

BTW, nice troubleshooting work on using a second Toshiba drive as a control. I believe there is a native SSD manufacturer that builds the drives with a legacy IDE interface, but I don't recall the name off the top of my head (Kingspec maybe?). Is that what you used, or did you use a SATA SSD drive with an IDE adapter?
Old 07-22-2020, 06:02 PM
kari
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Another Update I got a new SSD in the mail today, and for a control in these experiments, a new Toshiba HDD of the same model as the stock. The SSD is a 64GB Transcend. Cloned successfully. Installed and still no GPS/Maps.

Ok, so to test whether there is something wrong with my cloning process, I turned to the new Toshiba IDE HDD. Cloned, installed, and viola! Maps and GPS work. Ok, so the cloning process is correct, it's just the PCM that doesn't like the IDE SSDs. I'll keep trying, but I ran into another problem.

All of this was instigated by the SXM update of death that sent my PCM into 2 minute reboots. Hypotheses here suggested the HDD was failing and it was coincidental that the SXM issue happened at the same time. However, turns out the PCM reboots every 2 minutes with the Brand New cloned HDD installed also. So, either the cloning process cloned some corrupt data over from the old to the new drive, or there is something else going on. I just wish I could get terminal access to this damn thing to see some of the journals.

Not sure what my next move is. Maybe pull the SXM card and see if that stops the reboots with the HDD installed. Going to sleep on this one.
Not all IDE SSDs seem to be compatible with the earlier PCM units and Kingspec does not work. You will need a IDE SSD with a Marvell controller or a Marvell based mSATA to IDE adapter like the Marvell 88SA8052 . Check out the posts #91/92 & 101 on the following thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post16694600
Old 07-22-2020, 06:17 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Kari, on our stock toshiba ide hdd there is a green adapter that mounts on or drives.

The adapter makes the transition from the pins on the hdd to the ribbon cable from the pcm. Will this adapter mount on to the ableconn ide/mSATA? I'm trying to figure out how go from pins to ribbon.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:38 PM
kari
Instructor

Kari, on our stock toshiba ide hdd there is a green adapter that mounts on or drives.
The adapter makes the transition from the pins on the hdd to the ribbon cable from the pcm. Will this adapter mount on to the ableconn ide/mSATA? I'm trying to figure out how go from pins to ribbon.
Yes, connect the green circuit board to the Ableconn Adapter after you insert the mSATA SSD into the Ableconn adapter slot.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:46 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kari
Yes, connect the green circuit board to the Ableconn Adapter after you insert the mSATA SSD into the Ableconn adapter slot.
Great... And the whole thing will fit into the same space in the top of the pcm? Do we reuse the stock metal chassis that the old hard used? The piece that has the two wings that the screws go through to hold the hard drive to the pcm?
Old 07-22-2020, 07:29 PM
kari
Instructor

Great... And the whole thing will fit into the same space in the top of the pcm? Do we reuse the stock metal chassis that the old hard used? The piece that has the two wings that the screws go through to hold the hard drive to the pcm?
The ableconn adapter is the same spec as the standard 2.5" HDD - so treat it the same way and transfer any cover/chassis bits over...
Just one thing to minimize confusion - when disconnecting the green board, take a pic of the HDD pin orientation with respect to the green board. In the IDE setup, one of the rows of pins will be 1 pin short towards the middle. When plugging in the adapter, maintain the same orientation of the green board to the adapter...
Old 07-22-2020, 07:35 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kari
The ableconn adapter is the same spec as the standard 2.5" HDD - so treat it the same way and transfer any cover/chassis bits over...
Just one thing to minimize confusion - when disconnecting the green board, take a pic of the HDD pin orientation with respect to the green board. In the IDE setup, one of the rows of pins will be 1 pin short towards the middle. When plugging in the adapter, maintain the same orientation of the green board to the adapter...
Fantastic. Thank you for your help. I just ordered the parts. I have been trying to find a zheino ide ssd for a week but gave up. I also ordered two ide to usb adapters for the cloning. I have my fingers crossed that it will be painless. I will doing a straight clone (no partition increases). I will report back.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:24 AM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Kari, Which clonezilla download do I use? I don't have Ubuntu or Debian. I will be using a windows 10 laptop. And do I need to burn a boot disk or put something on a thumb drive? I'm confused. I have attached a screen shot.

Quick Reply: PCM 3.1 SSD upgrade