Sponsored By:

PCM 3.1 SSD upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 12:47 PM
kari
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by twodollardoug
Kari, Which clonezilla download do I use? I don't have Ubuntu or Debian. I will be using a windows 10 laptop. And do I need to burn a boot disk or put something on a thumb drive? I'm confused. I have attached a screen shot.
I'd go with the stable version though any version should do. You can burn the iso image it to a DVD or a USB based on your preference (there are links on that page you shared a screen shot of for both the process for a CD/DVD and for a USB drive) and then use that device to boot your laptop/desktop by setting it in the boot sequence of your laptop/desktop. I think there are a number of videos on youtube guiding you through the process if you go down the clonezilla path.

Alternately, you can try Disk Genius. Just download the free version onto your windows laptop/desktop and then install it like any other Windows software. Then go to Tools > Clone Disk and choose the 'Copy all Sectors' option : https://www.diskgenius.com/manual/clone-disk.php

See post #98 https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-958-2011-2018/1153917-pcm-3-1-stuck-in-emergency-update-loop-7.html#post16701188

And irrespective of the tool you choose, be sure to set the source to the HDD and target to the SSD - one could easily lose all data by targeting the wrong disk.

Last edited by kari; 07-23-2020 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:44 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 344 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by kari
I'd go with the stable version though any version should do. You can burn the iso image it to a DVD or a USB based on your preference (there are links on that page you shared a screen shot of for both the process for a CD/DVD and for a USB drive) and then use that device to boot your laptop/desktop by setting it in the boot sequence of your laptop/desktop. I think there are a number of videos on youtube guiding you through the process if you go down the clonezilla path.

Alternately, you can try Disk Genius. Just download the free version onto your windows laptop/desktop and then install it like any other Windows software. Then go to Tools > Clone Disk and choose the 'Copy all Sectors' option : https://www.diskgenius.com/manual/clone-disk.php

See post #98 https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-958-2011-2018/1153917-pcm-3-1-stuck-in-emergency-update-loop-7.html#post16701188

And irrespective of the tool you choose, be sure to set the source to the HDD and target to the SSD - one could easily lose all data by targeting the wrong disk.
Thanks Kari, I think I'm gonna try disk genius. It looks way easier. Tomorrow is the day so I will report back.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:49 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Well all my efforts were in vain. Didn't work. I forgot to pull off the master/slave jumper when I cloned. It was cloned with the jumper on - in the slave position. The little green ribbon cable adapter wouldn't go on with the jumper on so I took it off. Put the adapter on, installed the ssd into the car and no maps. Stuck in loading maps mode. Tried to reclone the drive with the jumper off/master mode. And my laptop doesn't see it. No computer in the house can see the drive. ARGH! So I don't know what or where I went wrong. Put the old toshiba back in the car and worked like a charm.

Any recommendations? Start over with different components.
Old 07-25-2020, 10:10 AM
kari
Instructor

Well all my efforts were in vain. Didn't work. I forgot to pull off the master/slave jumper when I cloned. It was cloned with the jumper on - in the slave position. The little green ribbon cable adapter wouldn't go on with the jumper on so I took it off. Put the adapter on, installed the ssd into the car and no maps. Stuck in loading maps mode. Tried to reclone the drive with the jumper off/master mode. And my laptop doesn't see it. No computer in the house can see the drive. ARGH! So I don't know what or where I went wrong. Put the old toshiba back in the car and worked like a charm.

Any recommendations? Start over with different components.
I don't think the jumper is the issue.. when connecting multiple disks to your computer this disk will be a slave anyway.

Did you use disk genius or clonezilla? Did you get any errors while cloning? Since it's a sector to sector clone any issue during the cloning could cause the problem.. the first time I made a copy I got a single warning from clonezilla during the cloning process and the image did not work.. repeated the steps a second time and the clone went through with no errors...

Since the disk is a diffwrent operating system called qnx, you may not be able to view the disk from windows. You can view the partitions using disk genius or clonezilla...
Old 07-25-2020, 03:39 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The jumper should not make a difference, but if you wanted to try again without it, any disk utility tool or partition manager should be able to show you the partitions on the cloned disk and allow you to delete them, returning it to a new state.

I’ve already spent more than I should have in attempts to restore what is essentially the stock outdated maps. Decided the better route would be to pull the trigger on the CarPlay update, especially since the radio and dash is in pieces. I’ll be stuffing the update in with the XM receiver and leaving the HDD out to prevent reboots. Navigation by Waze will be a nicer experience. But I will miss the map in the dial on the dash... maybe I’ll try one more drive while I wait for the CarPlay to arrive.
Old 07-25-2020, 03:39 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

I don't think the jumper is the issue.. when connecting multiple disks to your computer this disk will be a slave anyway.

Did you use disk genius or clonezilla? Did you get any errors while cloning? Since it's a sector to sector clone any issue during the cloning could cause the problem.. the first time I made a copy I got a single warning from clonezilla during the cloning process and the image did not work.. repeated the steps a second time and the clone went through with no errors...

Since the disk is a diffwrent operating system called qnx, you may not be able to view the disk from windows. You can view the partitions using disk genius or clonezilla...
I used disk genius. And I didn't get any errors. When it was finished I could see all three partitions on both disks. Before the cloning process, I could see both toshiba and transcend. After installing the ssd in the pcm and it not working I pulled it back out and tried to clone it again. This time, it would not show up in disk genius. With or without the jumper. The only reason I suspected the jumper was it was the only thing that changed. Everything went so smoothly I thought for sure I would be successful. Except for that damn jumper. Now that I can't get the drive to show up in disk genius I dead in the water.
Old 07-25-2020, 10:21 PM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by LittleBitBent
Hi, I haven’t seen any DIY’s on upgrading the PCM 3.1 performance so I thought I would post one.

I have a 2015 Cayenne Diesel with PCM 3.1, that I just recently upgraded with the Joyeauto CarPlay upgrade. Works like a champ, but it’s a bit slow. Was doing some research for a buddy on another forum, and discovered a fairly simple mod that significantly speeds up your PCM performance, and it involves replacing the existing hard drive with a solid state drive. The different is pretty significant, I would say, such that button presses for functions results in instantaneous response. Here’s what was involved:
  1. Buy a reasonably inexpensive 2.5” SSD off of your favourite e-commerce site. I bought a Crucial MX500 256GB drive for about $69 CDN from Amazon. Current SSD’s like the MX500 have much improved performance over SSDs from even a couple of years ago, so don’t skimp. I would have bought a 128GB drive but I couldn’t find one.
  2. Pull the head unit, as per the instructions elsewhere on the forum (search for CarPlay retrofit). For the Cayenne, it was as simple as popping out the two aircon vents on either side of the PCM, and then undoing the 4 T25 Torx screws that hold it in place. Note - you do not have to put the shifter in drive, because you don’t have to pull the PCM all the way out, but do cover it with a terry cloth.
  3. Right on top of the PCM’s metal housing is a metal cover about the size of a 2.5” hard drive, held in with two T8 Torx screws. Remove them, then you can use a small screwdriver to pry the cover up. Start on the end that looks like it has multiple tabs, not the end that has only two. Attached to that metal cover is the hard drive.
  4. Once you have it up, detach the ribbon cable by gently pulling on the connector. It should just pop off, but be gentle.
  5. Once it is released from the ribbon cable, flip it over, and you will see that it is a generic 2.5” Toshiba 100GB hard drive. At least, mine was.
  6. Take a picture of the orientation of the drive in the metal bracket. You will need to have the connections in the same spot with the new drive.
  7. Remove the Toshiba drive from the metal bracket. There are four T8 Torx screws that come off, and they have locktite on them, so they will be sticky at first.
  8. What you need to do next is use your PC to clone the contents of that Toshiba drive over to your new SSD. Despite being a Mac guy, I chose to use a Lenovo laptop for this (for reasons below). You will likely need two SSD enclosures. These are about $11 on Amazon. Here’s what didn’t work, and what did:
  9. To clone the drive:
    1. DON’T use the software that Crucial provides for free for cloning and backup up drives. While I was able to back up the contents of the Toshiba drive using that app (Acronis), cloning it failed miserably. Might be user error, but I only got about 60% functionality, and the jukebox was gone, along with constant rebooting whenever the PCM tried to write to a partition that wasn’t there.
    2. DO Download Clonezilla (open source) and follow the instructions to install it to a USB memory stick. Ensure that you make the USB stick bootable by following the options. I used a spare 64GB stick which had tons of room.
    3. I put the existing Toshiba hard drive in one enclosure, and connected it via the included USB cable to a spare USB port on the computer (old Lenovo T500 worked fine)
    4. I put the Crucial MX500 into a second enclosure, and connected it to the PC as well.
    5. I happened to have three USB ports, so I took the bootable version of Clonezilla that I had on the USB stick and inserted it into the third USB port. If you don’t have three USB ports on the computer, you can very likely use a $5 USB hub/extender.
    6. I then powered on the computer, and used the BIOS selection to tell it to boot off of the USB stick.
    7. When Clonezilla came up, I selected the VGA 800X600 option, and when it asked me the type of copying I wanted, I selected the second one (partition to partition). Don’t select the one that asks if you want to clone via an image.
    8. If it asks you where to temporarily store the data, select RAM.
    9. Select the source disk as the Toshiba drive,
    10. Select the destination as the SSD.
    11. Proceed with all of the defaults until the imaging starts to begin. Mine took about an hour to complete.
    12. Once complete, select the option to power off the computer, and shut it all down.
  10. Disconnect the external drives, and remove them from the enclosure.
  11. Take the SSD and reattach it to the metal bracket in the same orientation as the Toshiba drive. This is why you took a picture earlier! 4 T8 Torx screws until snug.
  12. Take the SSD back to the PCM, and ensure the PCM is turned off. Reattach the ribbon cable to the new drives connection point.
  13. Turn on the PCM and ensure that all functions are working. Once assured, place the SSD and metal cover back in the original spot, and reattach the two T8 screws. If things are not working 100% re-clone the drive.
  14. Put the PCM back in, and screw it back in place,
  15. Reattach the aircon vents.
You are good to go!

This works with existing maps, and existing Navi/Jukebox/Aux/AuxBT and speeds up your entire PCM. And if you have a Joyeauto CarPlay installed, it will work as before.

Also, if you have read this far, and you need the software update that takes your PCM to software version 4.76, PM me. No, I don’t have it for the 3.x version of PCM hardware.
I am getting frequent PCM restarts after SSD upgrade that I never had with OEM disk. Anyone seen this issue so far?

I also sometimes don't get Jukebox when I press source button.
Old 07-26-2020, 01:26 PM
kari
Instructor

I used disk genius. And I didn't get any errors. When it was finished I could see all three partitions on both disks. Before the cloning process, I could see both toshiba and transcend. After installing the ssd in the pcm and it not working I pulled it back out and tried to clone it again. This time, it would not show up in disk genius. With or without the jumper. The only reason I suspected the jumper was it was the only thing that changed. Everything went so smoothly I thought for sure I would be successful. Except for that damn jumper. Now that I can't get the drive to show up in disk genius I dead in the water.
I cant think of SSD/adapter failure so fast. Did you connect the adapter with the right orientation? See similar issue with cloning with BMW - the concept is the same: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=72

If its not showing up on diskgenius/clonezilla with our without the jumper, then there is a contact issue somewhere - either a loose mstata slot, or a bent pin while connecting... the steps are the same as with any other car brand using IDE HDD to SSD conversion: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=841458
Old 07-26-2020, 01:37 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

I cant think of SSD/adapter failure so fast. Did you connect the adapter with the right orientation? See similar issue with cloning with BMW - the concept is the same: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=72

If its not showing up on diskgenius/clonezilla with our without the jumper, then there is a contact issue somewhere - either a loose mstata slot, or a bent pin while connecting... the steps are the same as with any other car brand using IDE HDD to SSD conversion: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=841458
I tried everything. I have a new adapter and mSATA showing up today. Round two...
Old 07-26-2020, 05:13 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Do you guys think I should run a disk check on the old hard drive before I try to clone the new drive?
The following users liked this post:
ElSpoon958 (04-11-2022)
Old 07-26-2020, 05:52 PM
kari
Instructor

Do you guys think I should run a disk check on the old hard drive before I try to clone the new drive?
Are you referring to your good hdd? Don't attempt to try any disk checks on your good hdd unless you have qnx installed as the operating system on a windows system qnx hdds are not recognized.

You can definitely try formatting or chkdsk on your earlier ssd to windows or another format and if that works you can attempt again..
Old 07-26-2020, 05:57 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Are you referring to your good hdd? Don't attempt to try any disk checks on your good hdd unless you have qnx installed as the operating system on a windows system qnx hdds are not recognized.

You can definitely try formatting or chkdsk on your earlier ssd to windows or another format and if that works you can attempt again..
OK. Thank you. Yes, I was referring to my good. Original drive. My new mSATA drive is kaput. I bought a new ableconn adapter and new mSATA. Should be here today. Going to try again.

Thanks for your help Kari.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:34 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

I did it! I fixed it! No more spinning platters. The problem was the ableconn adapter. I got a new adapter, plugged the mSATA in, plug it into my pc, turned on disk genius and it popped up with all partitions. I was a little skeptical because I had seen this before... Went to the cayenne pulled the pcm and hard drive (I got it down to less than 5 minutes now). Swapped drives and hit the key and bam.... LOADING MAPS! ARGH!!! My heart went up into my throat, then in 10 seconds the map popped up. SUCCESS. Thanks for all your help fellas.

Last edited by twodollardoug; 07-26-2020 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:59 PM
kari
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911-997
I am getting frequent PCM restarts after SSD upgrade that I never had with OEM disk. Anyone seen this issue so far?

I also sometimes don't get Jukebox when I press source button.
There could be many causes, and one will have to investigate. I can think of 3 scenarios:

1) One of the most common causes where people switched from HDD to SSD is the unit restarting every 3-4 minutes. The most common cause for this is a failed/failing HDD , so the SSD conversion helps. The other big cause for restarts is filesystem corruption and this could occur with both HDDs or SSDs - filesystem corruption can only be addressed by formatting the relevant system partition and re-running the update DVD - see posts 71 and 76 on another thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post16592410

2) System overheating/too cold - the original HDD is automotive grade and supports ranges of -20C to +85C whereas the normal SSD available (Kingston/PNY/Crucial etc..) operating temp range is 0-70C . Unless you have a SSD supporting a wider range (automotive/industrial SSD), there is a possibility that the SSD does not respond in extreme temperature scenarios and this could at times cause restarts. But I would expect this more in winter in areas where the temps drop below 0C and that too till the cabin warms up. Temps getting to the higher end is not expected unless there is improper ventilation around the PCM unit... maybe a blocked vent or something during reinstallation causes system to overheat?

3) Faulty wires/connectors or faulty SSD - this is not unheard of. SSDs do fail as my work laptop did recently while still under warranty - dead SSD.. and in the case of a PCM 3.1 a dead SSD/HDD is known to cause restarts
Old 07-26-2020, 10:32 PM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

There could be many causes, and one will have to investigate. I can think of 3 scenarios:

1) One of the most common causes where people switched from HDD to SSD is the unit restarting every 3-4 minutes. The most common cause for this is a failed/failing HDD , so the SSD conversion helps. The other big cause for restarts is filesystem corruption and this could occur with both HDDs or SSDs - filesystem corruption can only be addressed by formatting the relevant system partition and re-running the update DVD - see posts 71 and 76 on another thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post16592410

2) System overheating/too cold - the original HDD is automotive grade and supports ranges of -20C to +85C whereas the normal SSD available (Kingston/PNY/Crucial etc..) operating temp range is 0-70C . Unless you have a SSD supporting a wider range (automotive/industrial SSD), there is a possibility that the SSD does not respond in extreme temperature scenarios and this could at times cause restarts. But I would expect this more in winter in areas where the temps drop below 0C and that too till the cabin warms up. Temps getting to the higher end is not expected unless there is improper ventilation around the PCM unit... maybe a blocked vent or something during reinstallation causes system to overheat?

3) Faulty wires/connectors or faulty SSD - this is not unheard of. SSDs do fail as my work laptop did recently while still under warranty - dead SSD.. and in the case of a PCM 3.1 a dead SSD/HDD is known to cause restarts
But these restarts I never experienced with my OEM HDD ? I am wondering if it is a filesystem corruption. I was thinking to just revert back the changes and be happy with my HDD which I never seen a problem to begin with.

Quick Reply: PCM 3.1 SSD upgrade