Sponsored By:

PCCB Rotor Replacement Options

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 10:45 AM
tmckenna
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts
Question PCCB Rotor Replacement Options

So before anyone freaks out, this is really moreso a curiosity question. I have PCCB on my 2014 CTTS, they seem to be in fine shape and still perform wonderfully, and by wonderfully I mean theyll decapitate you on the seatbelt if you look at the brake pedal wrong.

My question is regarding options when the time comes to replace the rotors. It seems like for 997s and a handful of 911s there are a fair amount of aftermarket options whether looking at non OE Carbon Ceramic rotors or direct swap Steel rotors (use same calipers, just different pads).

Does anyone know of similar options that would work for my CTTS? I think the factory rotors are 410mm which, from what I've read is the same as a 997, I just cant imagine theyre the same offset and end up being compatible.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:26 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Received 630 Likes on 276 Posts

In normal use the PCCB's should last the life of the truck. You will probably just need to replace pads. Even then maybe not. I have heard that they will last up to 100,000 miles but I think that was for the 911 setup. Not sure on the life for the 958 but it stands to reason they will last longer In normal street use. The pads and rotors are supposed to last a lot longer than steel. So if you just use it as a street car and dont push the brakes you probably wont need to worry about it at all. Unless you dont sell it.....

Last edited by spyderbret; 06-30-2020 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Removed track referance
Old 06-30-2020, 01:37 PM
tmckenna
Pro

Originally Posted by spyderbret
In normal use the PCCB's should last the life of the truck. You will probably just need to replace pads. Even then maybe not. I have heard that they will last up to 100,000 miles but I think that was for the 911 setup. Not sure on the life for the 958 but it stands to reason they will last longer In normal street use. The pads and rotors are supposed to last a lot longer than steel. So if you just use it as a street car and dont push the brakes you probably wont need to worry about it at all. Unless you dont sell it.....
To be honest I can't see myself selling it anytime soon if ever. IMO a better daily driver doesnt exist. I'd consider an RSQ8 in the future but ultimately I'd be paying a bunch more for basically the same car. The only thing I'd consider to replace it for DD duty would be a Panamera E Hybrid Turbo S, and even then, I'd probably keep the 958 for towing and overlanding (drive on beaches are one of my main summer time activities).

My 958 has just about 100k on it right now, I'm sure the rotors still have years of life left, but when the time comes I wanted to know what my options were.

Old 06-30-2020, 01:49 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Received 630 Likes on 276 Posts

Gotcha. Makes sense. That being said your options are new PCCB's or steel with maybe a third option. I dont think you can use the PCCB calipers on steel rotors so you would need to factor that into the cost. If you went with used calipers you could probably keep the cost around $5k plus or minus if you either did the swap yourself or used an indy shop. I put a Brembo BBK on my 911 and had my indy guy do the work. Still cost me about $9k. That being said new PCCB rotors and pads will cost almost twice that much. There might be a middle ground though. Porsche is using "coated" rotors now that are supposed to be better than steel, last longer and perform almost as good as carbons. I dont know if it's an option but coated rotors and matching pads may be the most economical route if they fit.
Here is a good article on the new tech.
Coated Rotors

If you did switch to steel you could sell the PCCB calipers to make up a little of the cost. Just a thought.....

Last edited by spyderbret; 06-30-2020 at 01:50 PM. Reason: added a thought
Old 06-30-2020, 02:14 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Gotcha. Makes sense. That being said your options are new PCCB's or steel with maybe a third option. I dont think you can use the PCCB calipers on steel rotors so you would need to factor that into the cost. If you went with used calipers you could probably keep the cost around $5k plus or minus if you either did the swap yourself or used an indy shop. I put a Brembo BBK on my 911 and had my indy guy do the work. Still cost me about $9k. That being said new PCCB rotors and pads will cost almost twice that much. There might be a middle ground though. Porsche is using "coated" rotors now that are supposed to be better than steel, last longer and perform almost as good as carbons. I dont know if it's an option but coated rotors and matching pads may be the most economical route if they fit.
Coated Rotors

If you did switch to steel you could sell the PCCB calipers to make up a little of the cost. Just a thought.....
No need to sell the PCCB calipers they work fine with the steel rotors. As a matter of fact the yellow calipers take the same pads as the red.

ApexPerformance.net
Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor
The following 3 users liked this post by Clark-ApexPerformance:
spyderbret (06-30-2020), tmckenna (06-30-2020), wangspeed (01-09-2024)
Old 06-30-2020, 02:24 PM
tmckenna
Pro

Coated Rotors

There are a ton of companies that make steel discs for 997s that are meant to be used with PCCB calipers (just different pads), I just don't think that option exists for the cayenne (unless those 997 rotors are compatible which i cant imagine is the case). I've been doing some research and found that there are a handful of companies that resurface Carbon Ceramic Rotors. Theres a lot of positive feedback and in terms of price its actually cheaper than a steel rotor setup because of how long they last. I think if it came down to it I would definitely go that route, because I would absolutely hate to convert to steel rotors (even if they were the same size), I would hate even more to convert to smaller steel rotors, and if the resurfacing is as legit as a lot of people say it is, it ends up being cheaper in the long run. I've seen the new "PSCB" rotors and to be honest I hate the idea. They put all this time and money into creating a rotor that performs like steel but just doesn't make brake dust? Porsche owners must be whinnier than I thought haha. Its a cool concept, I just find it mostly unnecessary. If you don't want dust, buy carbon ceramics, if you cant afford PCCB than just deal with the dust.

On a separate note, does anyone know what size the 958.1 PCCB rotors are? Suncoast says they are 16.14" which would be 410mm, but one of the websites that offers the carbon ceramic rotor refurbishment, also sells there own brand of rotor and for the "2013+ Cayenne" they list the rotor size as 394mm.
The following 2 users liked this post by tmckenna:
Leadfoot_mf (07-01-2020), spyderbret (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 02:26 PM
tmckenna
Pro

Originally Posted by Clark-ApexPerformance
No need to sell the PCCB calipers they work fine with the steel rotors. As a matter of fact the yellow calipers take the same pads as the red.
Good to know. Any idea if there are direct steel replacements for the 958.1 carbon ceramic rotors? Haven't had any luck finding anything.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:03 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

take a look at surface transform CC rotors. They seem cheaper and can be refurbished for much less than stock stuff. Good reviews from GT3 crowd

www.surfacetransforms.com
Old 06-30-2020, 06:21 PM
tmckenna
Pro

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
take a look at surface transform CC rotors. They seem cheaper and can be refurbished for much less than stock stuff. Good reviews from GT3 crowd

www.surfacetransforms.com
Surface transforms is the company that US Based "Racing Brakes" works with to resurface carbon ceramic rotors. Thats the route I would go if I ever needed "new" CC discs. Its actually more cost effective than steel rotors if you were to go that route.
Old 11-09-2022, 05:08 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by tmckenna
Surface transforms is the company that US Based "Racing Brakes" works with to resurface carbon ceramic rotors. Thats the route I would go if I ever needed "new" CC discs. Its actually more cost effective than steel rotors if you were to go that route.
Has anyone done this and can give us some feedback?
Old 05-26-2023, 04:28 PM
Gus B.
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Sorry for the thread revival, but I think it warrants it. After weeks of researching and contacting various vendors, I've come to the following conclusion: there are two versions of PCCB for Cayennes. One has the 390mm fronts / 358mm rears that will work with 19" or bigger wheels and in those instances, yes, you can replace the ceramic discs with steel discs from a "regular Turbo". You will also need to replace the pads, but there is nearly an infinite amount of options when it comes to pads for steel/iron rotors on a "stock iron/steel" Cayenne Turbo.

It appears as if there are no iron/steel rotors/kit when your Cayenne has the optional 410mm fronts / 370mm rear PCCBs. These require at least a 20" wheel. These can be readily identified by the option codes 1LX and 2EH. When these PCCBs need replacing, the options are to buy a new set (±$18K in USA in today's prices), re surface them with ReDisc (±$8K and requires you to send the discs to Slovenia for 45-60 days), or spend $X to replace calipers, knuckles, rotors, pads, etc. etc. etc. to convert to the 390mm disc/calipers. It's my understanding that Brembo makes a 405*34 and 412*38 iron disc that MAY work as a direct replacement for the 410mm PCCB disc. Awaiting confirmation from Brembo.
Old 05-26-2023, 08:25 PM
Gus B.
Pro

Just received a quote from a very reputable Brembo dealer and he put together a kit consisting of adapters for 8 piston calipers for the fronts (with 16"/405mm iron discs) and 4 piston calipers for the rear (with 15"/380mm iron discs), pads all around, and brake lines for $10.4K (plus shipping). So switching from an originally equipped 410mm PCCB front discs to a 410mm iron discs only applies to 911s (997-992 series, most likely on the GT series). The Brembo sizes I mentioned on my previous post will not work as a "simple replacement". Perhaps I'll have better luck next week with GiroDisc.
Old 05-31-2023, 01:20 PM
Gus B.
Pro

One last update on PCCB rotor/disc replacement options: GiroDisc does not in fact have an option for the Cayennes equipped with the larger PCCB brakes (options 1LX and 2EH). This was just confirmed to me by the distributor who contributed to this thread on post #5.
Old 06-01-2023, 11:38 AM
AnAlbumCover
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus B.
One last update on PCCB rotor/disc replacement options: GiroDisc does not in fact have an option for the Cayennes equipped with the larger PCCB brakes (options 1LX and 2EH). This was just confirmed to me by the distributor who contributed to this thread on post #5.
Are you positive that a 390mm caliper (steel or PCCB) can't just bolt up to a cayenne knuckle? All other calipers (330, 360 and 390) bolt up to the same knuckle - I upgraded from 360 to 390 and it only required a new caliper + discs. I can't imagine that the 410mm caliper got its own unique knuckle.
Old 06-01-2023, 01:57 PM
Gus B.
Pro

As per Champion Porsche (dealer in Florida) and the local dealer, the 410mm discs have their unique caliper size and mounting position which require a series of different parts than the 390mm version, among them, the knuckle.

As stated earlier, I'm not a mechanic, nor pretend to be one. I'm only sharing information that I've obtained after many hours of research and multiple confirmations.

Perhaps @Petza914 may have more detailed information as he adapted 958 series 410mm sized rotors to his 957 CTTS (which in theory uses the standard 390mm rotors and calipers). There is an entire thread dedicated to the modifications he had to go through to make this work. I do understand that in his case we are mixing different series of Cayennes, but it confirms that the calipers between 390 and 410 are in fact different and are not directly interchangeable.

Quick Reply: PCCB Rotor Replacement Options