2012 Cayenne S V8 Muffler Swap with GTS

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 10:26 AM
Blaze739
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2012 Cayenne S V8 Muffler Swap with GTS

Hey guys,
I’ve been searching the forums but can’t find the answer to my question. The muffler on my 2012 V8 S has developed a rattle and I want to replace it with OEM. Does anyone know if I can install a muffler from a 2012 GTS directly onto my car? I know I will need to upgrade the tips as well. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:33 AM
tmckenna
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaze739
Hey guys,
I’ve been searching the forums but can’t find the answer to my question. The muffler on my 2012 V8 S has developed a rattle and I want to replace it with OEM. Does anyone know if I can install a muffler from a 2012 GTS directly onto my car? I know I will need to upgrade the tips as well. Thanks.
So my theory is that it should work, but keep in mind that not everything that works in theory works in reality lol.

Hypothetically all of the mufflers should be interchangeable. On all Cayennes the inlets from the mid-pipes should be the same size and in the same location, and obviously the exhaust tips will be in the same location on all trim levels as well. So yes in theory it should bolt up just fine. Different Cayennes have a different configuration coming off the muffler and going to the exhaust tips (like my turbo s uses both muffler outlets instead of just one) but ultimately the exhaust tips and up in the same spot. So unless I'm overlooking some big factor it really should work just fine.

The benefit might differ depending on what model muffler you go with. I imagine the Turbo and Turbo S specifically are probably going to allow for more flow and be a bit louder than the other options.
The following users liked this post:
Blaze739 (08-10-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 03:56 PM
TRD_Power
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, SHOULD bolt up pretty much the exact same, but don't quote me on that. Never know until you try, and if you do, be sure to let us know how it goes I've been planning on the same since my CS is starting to suffer from the vibrating exhaust as well.
Blaze739 (08-10-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 07:38 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

It will fit, but it won’t sound the same.
Blaze739 (08-10-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 11:53 PM
Blaze739
AutoX

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
Yep, SHOULD bolt up pretty much the exact same, but don't quote me on that. Never know until you try, and if you do, be sure to let us know how it goes I've been planning on the same since my CS is starting to suffer from the vibrating exhaust as well.
I just picked up the exhaust today. I’m going to try installing it this week. I’ll let you know. What vibrating issue are you seeing? I get a rattling sound on cold start up, but it only last 30 seconds or so. Drives me nuts. It started after I installed secondary bypass pipes.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:31 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 171 Likes on 136 Posts

I just picked up the exhaust today. I’m going to try installing it this week. I’ll let you know. What vibrating issue are you seeing? I get a rattling sound on cold start up, but it only last 30 seconds or so. Drives me nuts. It started after I installed secondary bypass pipes.
Sounds like muffler isn't your issue. That rattle is due to the secondary cats missing. I bet you also get that terrible popping on decel..
Old 08-11-2020, 10:32 AM
tmckenna
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by F SANE IL
Sounds like muffler isn't your issue. That rattle is due to the secondary cats missing. I bet you also get that terrible popping on decel..
I'm guessing I'll get this worse with the primaries deleted as well. Hopefully the X Pipe helps with any raspiness.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:21 AM
Blaze739
AutoX

Originally Posted by F SANE IL
I find that hard to believe though because then No one would buy secondary bypass pipes. It sounds terrible. No popping on deceleration for me. I’m guessing since I still have the primaries.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:00 PM
TRD_Power
Advanced

Mine's doing pretty much the exact same, but it'll also do it when lightly accelerating from a stop.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:27 AM
TRD_Power
Advanced

Any updates on the project?
Old 08-15-2020, 10:57 AM
Blaze739
AutoX

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
Any updates on the project?
I got the sport exhaust installed yesterday. It was really easy and took an hour to remove the original exhaust and put the new one on (without connecting vacuum tubes). Ive only driven the car once so I need some more time with it, but I have mixed feelings. It sounds incredible under light and medium load. At WOT there is a LOT of rasp. But it wasn’t as noticeable after the car was warmed up. Cold start is REALLY LOUD and still sounds awful, but honestly better than with the stock exhaust. It sounds more like a loud rasp than a rattle now. So all together I’m happy with it, but I think I might just put the secondary cats back on and keep the sport exhaust with valves open.
TRD_Power (08-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 03:17 PM
TRD_Power
Advanced

I got the sport exhaust installed yesterday. It was really easy and took an hour to remove the original exhaust and put the new one on (without connecting vacuum tubes). Ive only driven the car once so I need some more time with it, but I have mixed feelings. It sounds incredible under light and medium load. At WOT there is a LOT of rasp. But it wasn’t as noticeable after the car was warmed up. Cold start is REALLY LOUD and still sounds awful, but honestly better than with the stock exhaust. It sounds more like a loud rasp than a rattle now. So all together I’m happy with it, but I think I might just put the secondary cats back on and keep the sport exhaust with valves open.
That's pretty much what I plan on doing. Personally, I'd probably leave it off, but it's the wife's car, so I need to keep it more on the tame side. Definitely get a video up if you have the time!
Old 02-22-2022, 04:13 AM
DeusExMaxima
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

Has anyone swapped a Turbo muffler in a Cayenne S? It's the muffler with 4 pipes coming from it, rather than 2, with the other holes blocked off.
Old 02-22-2022, 11:54 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 171 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Has anyone swapped a Turbo muffler in a Cayenne S? It's the muffler with 4 pipes coming from it, rather than 2, with the other holes blocked off.
I keep thinking of opening up those holes with hole saw, then get the individual turbo tips. Wonder if it would work and sound different
Old 02-22-2022, 11:57 PM
DeusExMaxima
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

I think it would sound like a muffler from the turbo model, but maybe louder. A turbocharger provides some muffling so a Turbo model would likely be quieter. I'm thinking maybe the GTS which does not have a turbo but does have all 4 ports of the muffler open, similar to the Turbo muffler. I thought about drilling out those ports and opening them out too but it may be more expensive to do that unless you can do-it-yourself

Last edited by DeusExMaxima; 02-24-2022 at 10:29 AM.

Quick Reply: 2012 Cayenne S V8 Muffler Swap with GTS