2014 vs. 2016 Cayenne GTS Impressions - looking for first hand experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 11:32 AM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
but now I'm just being an ahole
You said it not me... Just about every post I've seen you in, you dog the Cayenne when you get a chance. I honestly don't get why you own one. The Macan GTS is nice and it handles better but the Cayenne GTS has more of a rough around the edges feel to it. Raw/Visceral whatever you want to use term wise it is the best SUV they've ever made in my opinion. Maybe the 9Y0 GTS will finally take that over but the v6TT isn't as good feeling behind the wheel as the V8 was. The Cayenne GTS is COMPLETELY different than an S. How would I know? I only sold them (also was the Creative Director) and worked at the largest Porsche dealer in the country at Manhattan Motorcars when they first came out. The S is tame, the transmission shifts differently, the suspension is more plush and soft. The steering also is a bit less tight than the GTS. Specs aren't everything.

Same engine? Yes, Same transmission? Yes, and pretty much same body but the way that Porsche tuned this SUV it makes it completely different. I've driven everything from Bugatti,Ferrari,Aston Martin,Lamborghini, Lotus, Pagani, Bentley and older variants/race car variants in some of these brands. I have 17 years of track experience and race experience so it's not all in my head when I say that this SUV has a good feel to it.

So that is why I say it has a raw or visceral feel to it. You can dispute that but whatever you say won't change my mind period.

Last edited by DAVfoto; 09-23-2020 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:47 AM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I think that title goes to the Macan gts, but now I'm just being an ahole
I had one, Macan is more a hot hatch than a SUV, it handles great but lacks in the engine/power department, even the Turbo.
The following users liked this post:
Rocketcar (12-20-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 08:52 PM
volcanogts
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Galion
I had one, Macan is more a hot hatch than a SUV, it handles great but lacks in the engine/power department, even the Turbo.
100% agreed. Macan is a hot hatch. I had a 17 Macan GTS, went into that from a Touareg TDI and MK5 GTI thinking it would be best of both worlds. I loved it at first, but it wasn’t the best of either world. Sold the Macan and happily in my 16 Cayenne GTS now.
I had a lowering module and custom Cobb tune, intake, diverted, etc. It was great, but wasn’t for me. The cayenne has hands down way more power than the Macan GTS felt even with the stuff done to it. The 3.6 feels like it has more, the 3.0 just felt like it was being pushed so hard to go.
Now that that ramble is over, after the Macan I thought I wanted a 958.1 GTS but I liked the exterior facelift of the 958.2 more and I do get geeky with trying for fuel economy sometimes, so I liked that the V6 got better mileage. Hands down the V8 obviously sounds better, but I like the V6 exhaust note as well. It’s different than my Macan was, but can be just as loud. I would like to get a tune on this one as well as the secondary cat pipes.
Before I do that I have to address the timing cover leak which I will be doing myself.
The following users liked this post:
DAVfoto (09-23-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 12:18 AM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by volcanogts
100% agreed. Macan is a hot hatch. I had a 17 Macan GTS, went into that from a Touareg TDI and MK5 GTI thinking it would be best of both worlds. I loved it at first, but it wasn’t the best of either world. Sold the Macan and happily in my 16 Cayenne GTS now.
I had a lowering module and custom Cobb tune, intake, diverted, etc. It was great, but wasn’t for me. The cayenne has hands down way more power than the Macan GTS felt even with the stuff done to it. The 3.6 feels like it has more, the 3.0 just felt like it was being pushed so hard to go.
Now that that ramble is over, after the Macan I thought I wanted a 958.1 GTS but I liked the exterior facelift of the 958.2 more and I do get geeky with trying for fuel economy sometimes, so I liked that the V6 got better mileage. Hands down the V8 obviously sounds better, but I like the V6 exhaust note as well. It’s different than my Macan was, but can be just as loud. I would like to get a tune on this one as well as the secondary cat pipes.
Before I do that I have to address the timing cover leak which I will be doing myself.

I had a '17 GTS Macan too, and also a mk5 GTI (about two years prior to having the GTS, I bought it new in 2008). The Macan GTS was such a let down.....for being such a good car. I had high hopes for it, and it looks and sounds great, but plays the hot hatch card, but it's too heavy and cramped. It also doesn't handle as well as the Cayenne, and feels more dated despite being a newer product. It did sound pretty amazing, almost as good as the V8 GTS Cayenne. The understeer was probably the biggest let down, but I agree the Cayenne GTS is a better hot SUV than the Macan as a hot CUV. The Mk5 GTI was a much more fun vehicle to pilot around than the Macan, as I kept comparing the two even though they're not competitors.

Quick Reply: 2014 vs. 2016 Cayenne GTS Impressions - looking for first hand experience