Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

PSE Sport Exhaust noise at idle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 01:22 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 113 Posts
Default PSE Sport Exhaust noise at idle?

I've got the PSE (Porsche Sport Exhaust) option on my '17 GTS and have noticed a few occasions where, at idle, there seems to be a lot more exhaust noise coming from the rear than usual.

I usually run with the PSE engaged (light lit on the lower center console panel). I can tell the difference when it's engaged because as speed there's a deeper drone than the usual level of silence in the cabin. But most of the time that doesn't translate to added noise at idle. That is, engaging or disengaging the PSE button doesn't have any immediate affect on the noise level when idling at a stop. At speed there is a slight delay in the noise output as the setting is changed. If I'm sitting at idle and the noise is higher than usual, disengaging PSE does not alter the noise level.

Has anyone else with PSE run into the higher idle noise?
Old 08-15-2020, 04:57 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

When I crank my Turbo, the exhaust is louder for a few seconds. I thought that is because the PSE's valves open when cranking and close back.

But to answer your question, if I turn my PSE button on at idle, it is louder with a deeper tone. This is the same way if I turn it on at a red light or while I am cruising at speed.
The following users liked this post:
wkearney99 (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 05:03 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Mine has a much deeper sound at idle with the sport button on.
The following users liked this post:
wkearney99 (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 06:23 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 113 Posts

I've not paid significant attention to when it engages or not. I've often 'believed' it would engage PSE under heavy pedal-to-the-metal acceleration, but never really 'proved it' one way or the other.

I'm just noticing on random occasions that the idle growl will be much louder than I normally hear. And I'm wondering if it's doing something like leaving the PSE 'open' more than usual. It seems to happen if I've been on a longer stretch of driving. Like maybe it got 'stuck' or something?

In the past it seems like it didn't make this much noise at idle regardless of PSE being enabled or not. As in, even with PSE 'engaged' it seems to keep a relatively tame exhaust idle note.

With Sport mode it changes the bumps the idle up a bit, which seems to have the added effect of keeping the turbos spooled up (not a lot more, but acceleration seems snappier in Sport). It does engage PSE, but I don't think Sport mode's activation is any different than engaging PSE on it's own.

I ask here before I try and ask the dealer about this.

Quick Reply: PSE Sport Exhaust noise at idle?