Sponsored By:

Camping (Sleeping) in 2016 S E-Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 11:29 PM
tmckenna
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by RazorKQ
What is the rating for the roof? I have side rails but would need to get cross bars. I have yet to find any specs on what the roof rating is and if it would hold a roof tent and my wife and myself. Anyone know the specs?
Problem is that any load rating you see is for while the car is in motion. Its a rating for safe travel in terms of roll over possibility and such. I have a buddy with a VW atlas who bought the biggest size CVT roof top tent and slept there with his wife, and 4 kids. Given the kids were all fairly light but all together it was probably close to 1000 pounds. Now im not suggesting you do that on your cayenne, but I would say that 2 people in a tent would be fine on the roof of your cayenne.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:31 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by RazorKQ
What is the rating for the roof? I have side rails but would need to get cross bars. I have yet to find any specs on what the roof rating is and if it would hold a roof tent and my wife and myself. Anyone know the specs?
From what I found, it's about 100kg or 220 pounds for Dynamic Roof weight. you can find good tents for under 140 pounds or even the new GFC superlite which will be around 80 pounds. Keep the weight as low as you can, but with you and your wife, the static load should not be a problem! I will be doing the same thing. I am looking at the GFC superlite, Ikamper skycamp 2x, Roofnest Falcon and the FSR Odyssey.
Old 09-18-2020, 12:51 AM
Mirrorslap
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVfoto
From what I found, it's about 100kg or 220 pounds for Dynamic Roof weight. you can find good tents for under 140 pounds or even the new GFC superlite which will be around 80 pounds. Keep the weight as low as you can, but with you and your wife, the static load should not be a problem! I will be doing the same thing. I am looking at the GFC superlite, Ikamper skycamp 2x, Roofnest Falcon and the FSR Odyssey.
I was just wondering this, thanks for this info. I saw the load rating and got sad, but wasn't thinking dynamic vs static loads...

Was someone selling a set of oem racks?

Old 09-18-2020, 10:32 AM
tmckenna
Pro

Originally Posted by Mirrorslap
I was just wondering this, thanks for this info. I saw the load rating and got sad, but wasn't thinking dynamic vs static loads...

The thing that most people dont think about is the fact that, in the event of a roll over, the pillars arent supposed to fold and have the roof completely crush you. Considering that if the cayenne were to roll over, or even just be placed upside down on its roof, it should realistically be able to hold like 4000 pounds. Again I wouldnt suggest putting 4000 pounds on your roof, but the concept is there lol
The following users liked this post:
Mirrorslap (09-18-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 10:59 AM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Mirrorslap

Also remember that some tents like softshell tents and some like the Ikamper Skycamp and Skycamp mini will fold out and split the load evenly from the rack to the ladder.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:00 AM
tmckenna
Pro

Originally Posted by DAVfoto
Also remember that some tents like softshell tents and some like the Ikamper Skycamp and Skycamp mini will fold out and split the load evenly from the rack to the ladder.
Also a great point I forgot to mention
Old 09-25-2020, 05:14 PM
DeusExMaxima
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Petrolhead_007
I slept like a baby most nights.

That doesnt sound comfortable. If you slept like a baby, you were up every two hours!!
Old 09-26-2020, 09:58 AM
DrBillyD
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Petrolhead_007
I have built an in car sleeping board/ platform for my 957, and it served me well last year during my CO/UT trip. I can post a pic if needed, since 958 is pretty similar.
Sleeping platform is 2ft wide x 75 ish inches long, built it out of two 2'x4' ft sanded plywood pieces. Then on top of it I have 4" memory foam/mattress topper from walmart. I took out rear seats so I have flat sleeping surface.
For rear windows I created covers that have reflective sunshade material on one side, and black cloth on the other side.
Then I ran a blackout curtain that is supported by two front grab handles.
For outside of the windows I have wind deflectors so that on a rainy night I can have 1-2 windows down few cm for ventilation without worrying about the rain getting in.

On summer nights in desert I had the windows mostly open with mosquito net over them. This picture was taken mid August of last year, just outside Canyonlads NP. It was the perfect temps for sleeping at night, mid 60s even though it was around 100-105F during the day.
With a 4inch comfy mattress topper and blacked out interior, I slept like a baby most nights.

Nice setup.

Did you take it on the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands NP or go into Needles district? Certainly looks like you were outfitted for some serious backcountry adventuring. That part of White Rim trail from the visitors center down to the plateau looks hair raising with the switchbacks and steepness. Saw a couple of full sized dump trucks making the descent and marveled at the fortitude of the drivers.
Old 02-20-2022, 07:19 AM
dr_r2r
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Camping? Overlanding? Hunting? I’ve slept inside and on top of it.

Old 02-21-2022, 04:43 AM
MSR
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 12v battery

If it’s any help, I was sitting in my 2017 CEH yesterday waiting for my wife to come back from the shops. I had the DVD player running with the ignition off and got a low battery warning after a while on the PCM. I then put the ignition on and the 12v battery voltage went up about 2 volts about 30 seconds. So it seems the HV battery can very quickly replenish the 12v battery. However, if the HV battery is depleted then that is unlikely to work for obvious reasons. I then sat in the car parked in “ready” to get the heater working and it took off about 20% of the HV battery charge in 20 minutes or so (and took another 2 hours at home to recharge it by the same amount).
Maven (03-24-2024)
Old 02-21-2022, 09:33 AM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 515 Posts

If I were going camping with/in my Cayenne, and the offroading wasn't extreme, I'd be thinking about this or something similar ...

...but then again I like to get mints on my pillow and Marriott points when I'm sleeping out.
Old 10-05-2023, 01:23 AM
saucewin
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by tamour
Hi All, I just bought a CPO 2016 Cayenne S E-Hybrid and am in love with it! I've been trying to find information about the hybrid battery system but there doesn't seem to be much online (or from Porsche). If the lithium battery pack is charged up, can I run the A/C and other accessories overnight (or for a few hours) fully off of the battery pack, or would doing so kill the 12v battery? I do a lot of backcountry camping and exploring and would love to be able to sleep in the Cayenne with the climate control on and perhaps powering a smaller inverter. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Also, if anyone else has slept in or camped with their Cayenne, got any tips (comfort, gadgets to get, etc)?

Thank you in advance!

has there been any update to the original question? I’m interested in doing this. Also anybody look into the auxiliary heating/cooling function that can be added?
Old 10-05-2023, 10:29 AM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 515 Posts

Try it in your driveway...see how long the battery lasts.

I inadvertently tested my battery by leaving the headlights on overnight and was welcomed by a notification in the cluster "You're an idiot; we turned off the headlights for you. Please don't do that again." Or something about battery protection...i can't remember exactly how it was phrased.

You might encounter the same thing. Or not.
Old 10-09-2023, 04:43 AM
Al Faromeo
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tmckenna
I actually just found exactly that while trying to see if there was a way to make the rear seats fold more flat. Company is called Dream Case, cool stuff but for $800+ I'd rather engineer something myself haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQK0BAI63u0
I have one of those - great fit! And great quality.
I no longer have the Cayenne, but I kept the bed for when the grandchildren come and stay.
Old 10-10-2023, 03:47 PM
saucewin
3rd Gear

I ended up building a wooden platform with drawers to also make the back level. It can collapse to just fit in the trunk as well. Actually seems pretty nice, with the full platform being 40x78 inches which fits a twin size mattress pad perfectly.

I want to add this retrofit next to be able to schedule heating/cooling throughout the night if needed:
https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...58AUXCOOL.html

Mirrorslap (10-10-2023)

Quick Reply: Camping (Sleeping) in 2016 S E-Hybrid