Sponsored By:

Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 04:58 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Battery Replacement

After being quoted $1000 to replace the battery in my 2014 GTS I decided to knock it out myself, but first of course I looked for YouTube videos. There are several out there but they tend to show the first generation Cayenne, even if you search for the 958 version. The first generation Cayenne process was different in several respects. The only one I found for my version seemed to omit a few things or at least my car was different in a few respects.

So here are some items that could be helpful no matter what video you watch:
  • You have to remove the seat completely and get it out of the way. That means disconnecting the electrics as well (neither were necessary in the original Cayennes, which you could leave connected in the back and just swing way back)
  • Although the one video for the 958 version showed pre-cut "flaps" in the carpet in order to access the battery compartment, my carpeting was strange in that some of the cutout was there, but in a few places I had to finish "making" a flap with a box cutter. That was just weird. I am quite sure this was NOT the original battery but had I not done that, the only way to do this job would have been to open up all the carpeting on the driver's side.
  • In the end, the whole process was MORE straightforward than it was in older Cayennes because you just take everything apart/off. There is no finessing of anything to access the battery. The cover comes off very easily. Just like most of these jobs, it will take an hour for your first time and then 35-40 mins for your next job.
If you are at all handy with tools this is sort of a breeze. You do need a triple-square bit to remove the seat but you can get these all over the place, like most good auto parts stores or Amazon.

Last edited by HD2pct; 12-03-2020 at 07:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mirrorslap (12-03-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 06:00 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,373 Likes on 794 Posts

hmm, you don't have to remove the seat totally at all. Tilting it back with wiring harness still attached works fine.

All 958s have carpeting over the battery that needs cut completed.

I agree that its not that hard, but getting some of the clips can be a bit of a pain. Really though, when you consider battery replacements in most cars, this is a bit ridiculous
Mrg02D (12-04-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 06:40 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Here's the link to the battery replacement procedure in the DIY Section:

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...nt-access.html
Old 12-03-2020, 07:26 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Wink

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
hmm, you don't have to remove the seat totally at all. Tilting it back with wiring harness still attached works fine.

All 958s have carpeting over the battery that needs cut completed.

I agree that its not that hard, but getting some of the clips can be a bit of a pain. Really though, when you consider battery replacements in most cars, this is a bit ridiculous
If you can do that, more power to you. I found it way easier to move it totally out of the way. It's already unbolted anyway. It's just a matter of unplugging a few connectors to make it totally go away so you can work.

I really agree with the sentiment about complexity. But as we know, this is part of the "Porsche Tax". Having said that, in the 911 it is right up front where you can get to it as if you were a normal person. So I guess they aren't to get you at every turn.

Last edited by HD2pct; 12-03-2020 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-04-2020, 03:08 AM
Mirrorslap
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Which batter did you buy? Its almost time on my car, 2014 with the original...
Old 12-04-2020, 09:28 AM
JamesN
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm planning on replacing mine myself when time comes. 4yrs old original. Did you loose any programming? or did you hook up a spare battery to terminals to keep 'memory settings'?

thanks

Jim

Old 12-04-2020, 12:21 PM
DrBillyD
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts

I did it also w/o removing the seat completely; just unbolted, loosened a push fitting holding some electrical to the seat (but didn't disconnect electrical), and tipped seat back. Also had to cut a little of the carpet to access compartment. Getting battery out of compartment was slightly cumbersome, mostly because of the weight and I don't doubt that process would be easier with seat completely removed. I have a 2014 CTTS.

My screwup was that I didn't realize there were two vent holes on the battery and only one vent tube that attaches to the "front" of the battery ("front" when installed; battery only goes in one way) and the other vent hole on the "back" should be closed with the plastic plug that's on the tab protecting the positive terminal before installation. So rather than let hydrogen gas and/or sulfuric acid vapor accumulate in the battery compartment, I had to undo the seat and get to the compartment again. Fortunately, I could fit the plug into the vent hole w/o having to remove the battery. And you're right, the second time I did the procedure, it went much faster, LOL.

If memory serves, I believe the OEM battery size is H8 but compartment is big enough that H9 will fit as well. I used H8 and it was whatever they had at Walmart when I went to buy it. Did not do the registration/programming, etc. that supposedly is done when battery replacement done at dealer but have not had any issues. I hooked up a 12V lantern battery to the jumper terminals in the engine compartment and didn't lose any programming (e.g. radio, windows, etc.).

It's kind of a pain but where else could they have put battery? Engine compartment is pretty cramped, especially in the turbo models and the rear doesn't have space for it. Granted, it's not as easy as the battery swap on my Spyder, but it's not bad.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:57 PM
Mrg02D
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

The battery is so heavy that it’s location is probably what accounts for the nice handling of the Cayenne despite being a top heavy suv. ;-)
Old 12-05-2020, 12:11 AM
ecobon
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

How about using some of the latest subzero LiFePO4 batteries for larger capacity, durability, and all around better performance? So far, I see that both Battleborn and SOK make such batteries. These might last the entire lifetime of the car if they fit properly.
Old 12-06-2020, 05:31 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 100 Posts

We did an Arctic rally in 2016 with our original 4 year old Porsche battery. At temps down to -36F we never needed a jump start after sitting outside every night w/o plug-ins. This past Feb/March did the same rally different route with a fresh Interstate battery. We had to get a jump start every day until we came back south.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:31 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Originally Posted by JamesN
I'm planning on replacing mine myself when time comes. 4yrs old original. Did you loose any programming? or did you hook up a spare battery to terminals to keep 'memory settings'?

thanks

Jim
Nope. No programming lost at all. That would be poor design in a modern car, IMO. I know what you are saying though - in some cars that used to happen.

That said, sometimes you could get a config warning, like in my last BMW it would complain a little and need to be driven a mile to re-establish itself.

As for the question about the battery type, I just bought the highest rated Duralast AGM battery at AutoZone. It's not like Porsche makes batteries and it has to have their logo on it. In this area, get the best name brand AGM battery that fits your car and go for it.
Old 12-07-2020, 03:49 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HD2pct
Nope. No programming lost at all. That would be poor design in a modern car, IMO. I know what you are saying though - in some cars that used to happen.
While programing is not lost -
it should be re-programed for a new battery as the battery charging cycle is different for a new vs old battery
Old 12-07-2020, 04:09 PM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts

so I am preparing for a battery replacement.... something tells me my CD never had one replace. I still need to check its voltage but if I do replace it, what are people doing?

2 questions

1) Size. H7, H8 or H9 ?

H7 seems to be the size recommended by the part suppliers? H8 seems to be the original size? & H9 seems to be possible?
Why would you not stick a H9?

2) where to purchase?

VW dealership? Hear you could VARTA units for basically the same price as part suppliers... anyone did this?
or
https://www.autozone.com/batteries-s...cca/229889_0_0
or
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...ontent=general
or
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b.../touareg?pos=5

as I understand it our original batteries state Varta but some guys over on Club Tourag purchasing batteries from O'Reily have reported VW/Audi logos on their batteries (from O'Reily) ... interesting...
Mirrorslap (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 08:13 PM
JamesN
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by RS-America
While programing is not lost -
it should be re-programed for a new battery as the battery charging cycle is different for a new vs old battery

thanks

Jim

igrip (12-26-2023)
Old 12-08-2020, 12:28 AM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JamesN
What is all involved in re-programming? thanks Jim
You would need an OBD2 fault code scanner / programmer
Two brands I have heard mentioned are iCarsoft and Durametric. Currently trying to learn which brand / model is best for a 958 diesel. Have seen opinions expressed on Rennlist for petrol 958s but not for diesel. This is more important to us now with the age/mileage of our 958 and the remote places we take it to.
When I inquired at our dealer and Indy both said that the new battery install would need to be reprogrammed. This was to accommodate different recharging profiles as the battery ages. Our Indy replaced our battery for us.

Quick Reply: Battery Replacement